Adding a headlight to the TRX 70

PlanetMinis Forums

Adding a headlight to the TRX 70

This is a discussion on Adding a headlight to the TRX 70 within the 1973-1985 ATC70 and TRX70 forums, part of the General Talk category; Hello, I was wondering about adding a headlight to a 86 TRX 70. So far the research isn't yielding as much info as I need ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dirtbkr188
  • 1 Post By jb2wheels
  • 1 Post By Phat50s

Thread: Adding a headlight to the TRX 70

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    bittsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3

    Adding a headlight to the TRX 70

    Hello,

    I was wondering about adding a headlight to a 86 TRX 70.
    So far the research isn't yielding as much info as I need so I thought it's better to ask people that know.

    Is there a continuous electrical flow that can be tapped into or is the pulse for the coil generated by a system similar to a lawnmower?
    Is the system 12V, as I have gathered or is it 6V like the ATC from the same time frame?

    Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to help a friend get his TRX 70 up and going for his grandson and I've offered to add a headlight if possible.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    is grateful again...
     
    dirtbkr188's Avatar
    Supporting Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,107
    I believe it is a 12V system with a CDI-type ignition, and, according to the wiring schematic below, there is an unused yellow wire coming from the stator. You might be able to use that wire with a simple voltage regulator like this one to run a headlight.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRX70 schematic.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	176364
    - dirtbkr188 -



  3. #3
    Junior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    bittsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3
    I will have to check it out when I see it.

    He's planning on installing a LED headlight so it's already internally regulated, to an extent.
    Knowing there may already be an extra output wire would simplify things considerably.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    is grateful again...
     
    dirtbkr188's Avatar
    Supporting Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,107
    I'm pretty sure the lighting output is AC, and I am under the impression that the LED lights need DC, but not 100% positive.
    Trailingpickles likes this.
    - dirtbkr188 -



  6. #5
    Junior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    bittsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the lighting output is AC, and I am under the impression that the LED lights need DC, but not 100% positive.
    If that's the case then I'd need a rectifier/voltage regulator.
    I suppose I could go on the cheap and install a diode and capacitor to smooth out the spike.

  7. #6
    Member
    is Web Surfing
     
    jb2wheels's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leander, TX
    Posts
    62
    I ran a 27W LED headlight on a TRX70.

    TRX70, like all ATCs without a battery, has an AC lighting system. It really doesn't care 6V or 12V as long as it's regulated properly.

    To run the LED, you should install a regulator like the one listed above. Any 2-wire "dirt bike" type regulator will do the job.
    I've bought them off ebay for as little as $5 but I got real lucky with that one.

    Just plug the LED into the yellow wire coming off the stator and you'll have lights.
    You could get real crazy and add a switch and a tail light, too.

    I've seen LEDs act weird without the regulator - shutting off at higher RPMs. I assume the voltage exceeds the LEDs design limit and it regulates itself by shutting off.

    I've run LED headlights on AC power on 5 different ATVs (250R, 350X, Tecate, ATC70 TRX 70). They work fine. You don't need a rectifier, capacitor or battery or anything else complicated.
    Phat50s likes this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    is follow on Instagram @phatmx
     
    Phat50s's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    107
    Just checking to see if you're LED is working still on the TRX70 - I'm wanting to add lights and didn't want to add a battery - thanks for any info.


    fine
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I ran a 27W LED headlight on a TRX70.

    TRX70, like all ATCs without a battery, has an AC lighting system. It really doesn't care 6V or 12V as long as it's regulated properly.

    To run the LED, you should install a regulator like the one listed above. Any 2-wire "dirt bike" type regulator will do the job.
    I've bought them off ebay for as little as $5 but I got real lucky with that one.

    Just plug the LED into the yellow wire coming off the stator and you'll have lights.
    You could get real crazy and add a switch and a tail light, too.

    I've seen LEDs act weird without the regulator - shutting off at higher RPMs. I assume the voltage exceeds the LEDs design limit and it regulates itself by shutting off.

    I've run LED headlights on AC power on 5 different ATVs (250R, 350X, Tecate, ATC70 TRX 70). They work fine. You don't need a rectifier, capacitor or battery or anything else complicated.
    Trailingpickles likes this.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    This user has no status.
     
    K-Dubbb's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    26
    Bump, would also like to hear a little more about this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phat50s View Post
    Just checking to see if you're LED is working still on the TRX70 - I'm wanting to add lights and didn't want to add a battery - thanks for any info.


    fine

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Adding a little bit of color
    By JohnnyP in forum CRF50
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
  2. Adding extra oil?
    By Wh3tto in forum CRF50
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 12:26 AM
  3. Adding a Racehead to my old 88 kit ?'s
    By Pwood28 in forum CRF50
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
  4. Needed - 12v headlight bulb 12v 30w to fit stock CT70 headlight
    By muxster in forum Bikes and Parts Wanted - All Makes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
  5. adding gears???
    By glamisrules89 in forum CRF50
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 07:43 AM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Sponsored Links

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0