Adding a headlight to the TRX 70

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Adding a headlight to the TRX 70 within the 1973-1985 ATC70 and TRX70 forums, part of the General Talk category; Hello, I was wondering about adding a headlight to a 86 TRX 70. So far the research isn't yielding as much info as I need ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dirtbkr188
  • 1 Post By jb2wheels
  • 1 Post By Phat50s

Thread: Adding a headlight to the TRX 70

This user has no status.

Hello,

I was wondering about adding a headlight to a 86 TRX 70.
    So far the research isn't yielding as much info as I need so I thought it's better to ask people that know.

Is there a continuous electrical flow that can be tapped into or is the pulse for the coil generated by a system similar to a lawnmower?
    Is the system 12V, as I have gathered or is it 6V like the ATC from the same time frame?

Any help is appreciated. I'm trying to help a friend get his TRX 70 up and going for his grandson and I've offered to add a headlight if possible.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

I believe it is a 12V system with a CDI-type ignition, and, according to the wiring schematic below, there is an unused yellow wire coming from the stator. You might be able to use that wire with a simple voltage regulator like this one to run a headlight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRX70 schematic.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	176364
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

I will have to check it out when I see it.

He's planning on installing a LED headlight so it's already internally regulated, to an extent.
    Knowing there may already be an extra output wire would simplify things considerably.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the lighting output is AC, and I am under the impression that the LED lights need DC, but not 100% positive.
    Trailingpickles likes this.
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the lighting output is AC, and I am under the impression that the LED lights need DC, but not 100% positive.
    If that's the case then I'd need a rectifier/voltage regulator.
    I suppose I could go on the cheap and install a diode and capacitor to smooth out the spike.

is Web Surfing

I ran a 27W LED headlight on a TRX70.

TRX70, like all ATCs without a battery, has an AC lighting system. It really doesn't care 6V or 12V as long as it's regulated properly.

To run the LED, you should install a regulator like the one listed above. Any 2-wire "dirt bike" type regulator will do the job.
    I've bought them off ebay for as little as $5 but I got real lucky with that one.

Just plug the LED into the yellow wire coming off the stator and you'll have lights.
    You could get real crazy and add a switch and a tail light, too.

I've seen LEDs act weird without the regulator - shutting off at higher RPMs. I assume the voltage exceeds the LEDs design limit and it regulates itself by shutting off.

I've run LED headlights on AC power on 5 different ATVs (250R, 350X, Tecate, ATC70 TRX 70). They work fine. You don't need a rectifier, capacitor or battery or anything else complicated.
    Phat50s likes this.

is follow on Instagram @phatmx

Just checking to see if you're LED is working still on the TRX70 - I'm wanting to add lights and didn't want to add a battery - thanks for any info.

fine
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I ran a 27W LED headlight on a TRX70.

TRX70, like all ATCs without a battery, has an AC lighting system. It really doesn't care 6V or 12V as long as it's regulated properly.

To run the LED, you should install a regulator like the one listed above. Any 2-wire "dirt bike" type regulator will do the job.
    I've bought them off ebay for as little as $5 but I got real lucky with that one.

Just plug the LED into the yellow wire coming off the stator and you'll have lights.
    You could get real crazy and add a switch and a tail light, too.

I've seen LEDs act weird without the regulator - shutting off at higher RPMs. I assume the voltage exceeds the LEDs design limit and it regulates itself by shutting off.

I've run LED headlights on AC power on 5 different ATVs (250R, 350X, Tecate, ATC70 TRX 70). They work fine. You don't need a rectifier, capacitor or battery or anything else complicated.
    Trailingpickles likes this.

This user has no status.

Bump, would also like to hear a little more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat50s View Post
    Just checking to see if you're LED is working still on the TRX70 - I'm wanting to add lights and didn't want to add a battery - thanks for any info.

fine

Sponsored Links