Bad News - CA DMV Sucks! - Page 2

PlanetMinis Forums

Bad News - CA DMV Sucks!

This is a discussion on Bad News - CA DMV Sucks! within the 1988 ZB50 and ZB Import Replica Bikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Originally Posted by z50 chopper congrats you must almost feel as exubulant as a new dad Yes. Exubulant....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bad News - CA DMV Sucks!

is a poet warrior.

Re: Bad News - CA DMV Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by z50 chopper

congrats you must almost feel as exubulant as a new dad

Yes. Exubulant.

This user has no status.

party!!

We need to do a ride soon. The Monkey is just about ready

is a poet warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by big pete
    party!!

We need to do a ride soon. The Monkey is just about ready

Can't wait to see it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Good to hear you got it settled. The ZB absolutely was a 50 state bike, and there was never an EPA sticker on it. The only emissions sticker at all was a NOISE emission sticker on the swingarm.

The less than 50cc rule also applies to it

is a poet warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by mikev
    Good to hear you got it settled. The ZB absolutely was a 50 state bike, and there was never an EPA sticker on it. The only emissions sticker at all was a NOISE emission sticker on the swingarm.

The less than 50cc rule also applies to it

I am just repeating what Honda US told me. According to the person who wrote both your letter and mine, both of the VIN numbers were 49 State bikes.

However, one must assume that a person at Honda customer service is just as screwed up as the individuals at DMV, and may be interpreting data incorrectly too.

It would be nice to find the dealerships that first received these VINs just to find the real history. I should have asked just for future reference.

This user has no status.

I'm actually not even sure there was a difference in 49 or 50 state bikes in 1988.

is a poet warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by mikev
    I'm actually not even sure ............

My point exactly. No one is.

This user has no status.

Reason being, it's a 49cc bike. The "engine less than 50cc" box has to be checked, and that's that. Smog emissions stuff didn't apply.

This user has no status.

I'm 99% sure that my ZB was originally from Santa Monica Honda. If that the case then ZBs were sold in CA and thus CA legal. The DMV is just a pain ass.

I walked in my local DMV paid the title transfer and registration and walked out with the tags 15 mins later without a problem.

This user has no status.

What about this,

how about going to a junkyard finding an a 1978 bike or older that is street legal, something within reason as far as engine size. 175cc or below, taking that that heap of ****e to the DMV getting it plated and registered, (doesn't matter if it runs or not) then taking your new plate and the matching vin# from the old dinosaur and putting it on your mini. You might have to make a an authentic looking vin plate for your mini. Again this is merely a what if type of suggestion, I don't advocate breaking the law, but a super moto mini with a built engine haulin ass in the canyons and beach cities is what life is all about.

thanks

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter

And for the record, CA DMV still sucks.

+1

that is why for me it's worth paying AAA 45 bucks a year membership.

In the LA area, all DMVs have 2-3 week backlog of appointments, or you waste 3 hours waiting in line. At AAA they handle most DMV needs with a courteous smile, unlike the state paid, bleepin bleep bleeps that will not raise a finger to help you out.

This user has no status.

I feel some what sorry for the DMV employees assuming they don't have as much power as we think they. like parents who get pissed at us (i work at micky D's) because the owner had us shut down the play place permanently. nothing like a pissed of red neck mom babbing "WHY CAN'T MY KID PLAY IN THE PLAY PLACE" so that manager has to explain to them why it's f**ked up. thats just scratch, general public jobs suck it and so does the general public to a point i hate being hated for something that isn't really my fault.

is a poet warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by hooptytank
    +1

that is why for me it's worth paying AAA 45 bucks a year membership.

In the LA area, all DMVs have 2-3 week backlog of appointments, or you waste 3 hours waiting in line. At AAA they handle most DMV needs with a courteous smile, unlike the state paid, bleepin bleep bleeps that will not raise a finger to help you out.

I do all my DMV work at AAA. In fact, that's where I did the transfer for my first ZB50 (mikev's old bike).

But AAA is not the perfect place for registering CA plated minis. For example, I went to AAA to transfer a title on an XR50 that had been converted to street legal before I bought it. This vehicle was already in the DMV system as a plated motorcycle so it should be no problem, right? Well, there is no odometer because it used to be a dirt bike. One AAA office would not do it because (she said) their system wont work unless there is numbers in the field for odometer miles. I told her to just put 100 miles and check the box that says "not actual miles" and she said, "no, that would be lying". So I had to go to a different AAA office where the person actually helped.

This just further proves my point about individuals misinterpreting DMV rules. Not to mention that AAA does not handle OHVs.

The bike bike this thread was started about came from out of State. AAA does not handle out of State title transfers so I had to go to an actual DMV office and have the bike physically inspected. That is where the trouble began.

Now that it is in the CA DMV system, if I ever sell the bike, future owners will be able to go to AAA for the title transfer. Thus increasing the value of the bike in CA.

This user has no status.

yeah you make a good point, still proves that the general public can be stupid or dicks though wich i guess include the dmv's too, all this talk abotu plating makes me wantto plate my 74 but, i still need to stretch the frame then go through the night mare fo wiring thanks to the special ign on the z155. i haven't ridden it since before summer.

This user has no status.

gratz bro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links