PlanetMinis Forums banner

Should I buy this zb50?

9K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  Nealz 
#1 ·
I've been texting a nice guy with a zb50 he offered to sell me. He has too many projects. The bike needs work. $350

Cons: (he says)surface rust, seat, missing some lights, no title. (and probably more I am missing)
Pros: (he says) it ran 2 years ago, wheels look good, has most of parts, it's a zb50! (and probably more I am missing)

I haven't seen it in person, just these pictures. He first said $500 and I felt like that was too much for the condition. I mentioned $350. He said he could do that.

Is $350 too much or a good price for this zb50?

My plan would be, apply for title, engine work, and paint. Nothing too crazy or super expensive, but a nice custom look.

Here are the pictures of the bike and zb's that could be my goal.

Please share your opinions, good or bad. What would you do?

Thanks!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

See less See more
#36 ·
I got it done in Monterey. Finishing Touch Motorcycle Painting. It cost me $255. First time I ever took anything to be powder coated. Price seemed fair to me, especially when I saw the end result. These parts where in pretty rough shape.

Advertising Display advertising
Power trowel Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Wheel Bicycle part

#40 ·
I just called him. He said that the stamp was pretty deep. He did not cover it up, just sprayed like normal, electric statically.

He said if it's sprayed on hot then it can be a little thicker but he has never had any trouble with the vin# stamps.

#42 · (Edited)
The swingarm bushing seems good. Think it withstood the baking process. There is some powder on the rubber, but that's it. Feels super solid.

I will be putting the peewee reproduction vin# sticker on the frame. I have that, the tank stickers and a couple fun ones. I ordered through email and his website. Great quality, I would recommend them to anyone.

I also got a new phone (Samsung Note 4) and testing out the camera. Each of these pictures is 16 megapixels and around 4mb each.

Technology Hand
Text Font Label
Text Font Material property Paper Label
Text Paper Font Finger Document
Label Font Sticker Auto part Signage
Pink Font Number Symbol Illustration

#43 ·
I wasn't able to post more than 10 pictures in my post earlier, but here are some more pictures of the wheels. The super close detail of the wheels aren't perfect, but I feel like they are a lot better than before. A couple small imperfections. but when the wheels and cables and brake parts are all back together, you wont see it very much. The eyes will be all over the rest of the bike. So I am not worried about it but I am not sure on the how some of this exposed metal should be. I want to protect it from rust or corrosion and being damaged. I also need to pack the speedo gear in the brake hub with grease. What is the grease I need to buy and where at? I want to buy the right stuff.

I haven't done a lot of this stuff before.

I figured I would ask you guys. You are some smart and cool people. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". I am enjoying learning the things I read from you, your experience, and your willingness to share. To everyone that has answered my questions, Thank You. I think its great!

Fuel line Hose Wire Rim
Red Plastic Auto part Bumper
Vehicle Auto part
Red Auto part Plastic
Red Fuel tank Auto part Plastic
Lid Red Plastic
Auto part
Auto part Wheel Metal Locking hubs

#44 ·
Hope everyone is doing great!

It has been over a year since I posted. I moved to Atlanta, Georgia. I am now working on the ZB50 and CT70 again.

I would like to have them ready by October so I can take them to the Barber Vintage Festival.

Here are some recent pictures.

I need some help with the engine plans. Recommendations and ideas please. :1zhelp:

Tire Rim Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel
Vehicle Motorcycle Rim Tire Automotive tire
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Rim Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Spoke
Vehicle Tricycle Bicycle accessory Car Bicycle wheel
Vehicle Tricycle Car Automotive wheel system Wheel

#52 ·
Guess I'll be borrowing this thread since I could not find a chit-chat section on these R Monkeys...

Anyway:

https://www.nettimoto.com/en/honda/monkey/1852409

What do you guys think of this one? These are actually rare sight on these parts of the world (Finland) since they werent actually imported by Honda back in the days.

This one is imported from Japan and is the real deal R-version, not the RB, or whats the name of the US-version.

This one has 4900km on the clock and is in... well in what condition in your opinion guys? Do you see all the parts there that are supposed to be there? And what about the price? 2000e plated?

#53 ·
Guess I'll be borrowing this thread since I could not find a chit-chat section on these R Monkeys...

Anyway:

https://www.nettimoto.com/en/honda/monkey/1852409

What do you guys think of this one? These are actually rare sight on these parts of the world (Finland) since they werent actually imported by Honda back in the days.

This one is imported from Japan and is the real deal R-version, not the RB, or whats the name of the US-version.

This one has 4900km on the clock and is in... well in what condition in your opinion guys? Do you see all the parts there that are supposed to be there? And what about the price? 2000e plated?
The Monkey R didn't come with a rear disc brake. The exhaust can has been changed. The rear shock and front fender are not original. Are the wheels and suspension off an NSR50?
tmas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.