82Yz80J,also 83,84,85,86 Yz80's

PlanetMinis Forums

82Yz80J,also 83,84,85,86 Yz80's

This is a discussion on 82Yz80J,also 83,84,85,86 Yz80's within the 2 Stroke Pitbikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Just bought a 82 yz80J, found another one local for parts,and have one more on the way I want to build a works style mini,you ...

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 82Yz80J,also 83,84,85,86 Yz80's

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

Just bought a 82 yz80J, found another one local for parts,and have one more on the way I want to build a works style mini,you know the one I couldn't afford back in the day and that my Dad wouldn't buy me. The plan is to rebuild from the bottom up with a custom alloy swingarm, red anodized rims W heavy spokes, custom pipe,with the eurostyle red seat and white plastics and beef the suspension with a shock & forks to support my 210 lb ass anyone here pursuing anything similar?!

This user has no status.

I've seen a mint '82 right at my local track. Some guy had it out for his kid to thrash on a couple years back. It was mint, and the guys' kid was crashing it left and right, scraping up stock graphics and everything else. Every time I saw it on the ground-- I was cringing to myself knowing that the idiot kid was trashing a museum piece. I gave the guy my number, but he never called me about selling it.

As far as building a "Works" mini. If you're planning on riding the bike-- most of the '82 parts can't be bought new any more. That-- and the fact that the front numberplate mounted radiator was a super crappy design. If ya build it-- you may as well keep the bike as a mantle piece. I really wish AHRMA would have a clas for vintage 80cc machines, and an XR75/80/100 race. I'd love to build and race one. If ya wanna build a "Works" mini-- I'd say to do a modern built CRF100 motor in a vintage XR75/80 chassis with XR mini racer parts on it... Works Shocks, and some kind of shortened modern front end possibly off of a newer XR80. Now you've got somethin'! --L*64

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar64 View Post
    I've seen a mint '82 right at my local track. Some guy had it out for his kid to thrash on a couple years back. It was mint, and the guys' kid was crashing it left and right, scraping up stock graphics and everything else. Every time I saw it on the ground-- I was cringing to myself knowing that the idiot kid was trashing a museum piece. I gave the guy my number, but he never called me about selling it.

As far as building a "Works" mini. If you're planning on riding the bike-- most of the '82 parts can't be bought new any more. That-- and the fact that the front numberplate mounted radiator was a super crappy design. If ya build it-- you may as well keep the bike as a mantle piece. I really wish AHRMA would have a clas for vintage 80cc machines, and an XR75/80/100 race. I'd love to build and race one. If ya wanna build a "Works" mini-- I'd say to do a modern built CRF100 motor in a vintage XR75/80 chassis with XR mini racer parts on it... Works Shocks, and some kind of shortened modern front end possibly off of a newer XR80. Now you've got somethin'! --L*64

Yeah, I hear what yer sayin on the xr stuff but this yz thing is a itch I gotta scratch. the hopped up xr racing is kind of common place now, still way cool, the older two stroke stuff has kind of gone away, at liest the years that interest me,maybe if more people took a interest in this stuff maybe the aftermarket may open up a little and somewhat support it.The early to mid eighties bikes are cheap and still fast although worn out by idiots, like you mentioned above. they already come with good pieces,suspention, etc. people are usually clueless to the collectability of something.I lost out on a mint cond 84 yz80 to two idiots buying it for their nephew to ride.They couldn't even start it but they got to it before I did.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Haha! You're killing me! The aftermarket companies won't make anything for any 30 year old race bikes. There are a few places where you can get bearings, Wiseco will probably make pistons and sleeves, and there is a company that will vacuum form the plastics for the dinosaurs-- but that's about it. Ebay is about the only place to get the parts that are discontinued. The peeps that have the same ideas as you do are the AHRMA people. Google Vintage MX, and there will be a few sites that will come up-- Old S'Cool, Vintage Factory, etc...

If you do put together your dream YZ-- I'd put it on the mantle, and ride something newer. You can get a 5 year old YZ85 to thrash on for $1000, and you can still get all the parts for it. I have a KX65, and a super sweet KX85/100 hybrid myself. We all want the glory days back-- but not many other than the AHRMA vintage racers actually do anything with the old stuff.

What you NEED to do is to petition AHRMA and the AMA to get 80cc and XR75/80 pitbike classes into the vintage races. That way we could live the dream. I would love to race an '84-'86 KX80, and a mega XR75/100 myself! --L*64

This user has no status.

I think you'd be surprised at how many parts are still available from Yamaha. I've restored a YZ50 and a YZ60 recently. The rest can be found on ebay. I say go for it!

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

Well here's an update I'm getting out of control on this yz80 stuff,I have two complete 82's with enough pieces to build two more including two eurostyle tanks!I also scored a dg pipe off ebay too!In looking for wheels to replace the bent 82 wheels I ran across two 83 frames on craigslist with good forks/tanks one has a good seat,& plastics and a good radiator for dirt cheap! now I'm in the middle of a deal to get a 92 motor,procircuit pipeand silencer for the 83 frame! this yz80 thing just keeps snowballing!
    Last edited by hobbeekid; 02-22-2015 at 05:06 PM.

This user has no status.

Damn bro! Ya gotta post some pics! --L*64

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

Pics?I shall, give me a little time.while trolling the local craigslist to look for decent parts,mainly straight wheels I ran across two 83 frames for next to nothing.With seats, gas tanks,radiators etc. Motors were long gone blown up and one frame was so deteriorated that it was'nt deemed worth saving so I parted it out and threw away the frame & swingarm.kept the wheels though which I'll use on one of the 82's.The other frame however has potential for restoration so I sorta set out to find a engine for that.Well I found one via ebay, a 88 or 92 model runner with a pro circuit pipe and silencer,carb, ignition etc. for a nice price so that's all going to go into the 83 frame for a nice restomod.I'll post pics when I'm finished.....

is Having a blast figuring out
    this tlr's issues. Think I'll
    be bald before it is running
    right hahaha

Do you have to do anything to get the newer motor in the 83 frame? I have one that started life as an 82 but after screwing with the front mounted radiator for it seems like forever one of my buddies had an 83 roller that I traded for. Was the first "bike" my parents got me and somehow the motor disappeared when I moved.

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

From what research I've done online, from what I looked at looks like framewise everything from say82 to 92 will interchange.Yamaha did a major engine design change in 1993 which carry's over to today so I haven't really researched those. my main focus is 82through 85/85ish but looks like to me the bottom ends are the same through a ten year span with the exception of the cylinders getting smaller in 83.The top ends will interchange if you have the right studs.Mainly applicable to the 82 model as it had the biggest cylinder/head combo of them all.The only other things that changed were the cd ignition flywheels.Everything was changed motor wise with an emphasis on saving weight.If you look on ebay at present, there's a 83 yz80 frame with a 82 motor for bid.A little too much for my pocketbook but it supposedly runs like a raped ape....

This user has no status.

cant wait to see pics. i have a 84 that i want to restore, so im lookin for nos plastics .

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

Ok, so it's been awhile since I've posted anything on this thread,been busy but I've got a few updates and finally a few pics.I've found and picked up another 82yz80 recently from Southern Calif. courtesy of craigslist. "BAD CRAIGSLIST" lol!!! it is mostly all there with a good lower end and crank, except for the missing top end and pipe, which gave me the green light to part out the first yz80 I was originally going to restore,but compared to the one I just got in, the first one is in a lot sadder shape but has excellent donor parts top end , pipe etc. I also discovered the donor bike has boysen reeds too! So, now the plan is to restore the newest yz back to running condition using to top end from the other bike.I'll strip it down, split the cases add all new seals and replace the bad shifter shaft that some dork welded the lever to, some mild port work, add a pipe & silencer clean & paint the frame, rebuild the shock,clean the plastic's up, new tires, new chain & sprockets then kick it back into play.Well that's the plan at liest. Ok, here are some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 001.JPG 
Views:	951 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	93086here's a pic of the two yz's that I have together.The one in the foreground I have no immediate plans for except to restore to a mantlepiece as mentioned above, it's in surprisingly good shape for it's age. The one in the background will be a rider/ racer if they ever develop a old fart mini class! LOL!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 002.JPG 
Views:	439 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	930912nd pic just the first yz parted all over my garage floor plus the socal one I just got.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 003.JPG 
Views:	655 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	93092another pic of the socal 82Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 004.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	93093whats left of the pos82Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 005.JPG 
Views:	1158 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	93094This pic is of the 92 yz80 motor and pieces that are destined for installation into the 83 roller I have in my shed.In that case I had everything but a motor as the original engine expired long time ago.....
    Last edited by hobbeekid; 06-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

Here's a couple of pipe's I've picked upClick image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 006.JPG 
Views:	684 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	93095the DG I found on ebay, it's supposed to be for a 84 but I'll make it work on the 82,the other procircuit pipe & silencer came with the 92 motor and will go on the 83 frameClick image for larger version. 

Name:	yz80 chronicals 007.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	93096just a last pic of the 92 motor, under it in the box is another 82 yz engine that is waiting to be assembled for my other 82 eurostyle project,red& white. had the frame recently powdercoated,I'll post pics of that later... Also looking for a alloy swingarm and red anodized rims for that one. as of this date I'm still looking for another DG or procircuit pipe and silencer also.Well that's it for now...
    sgtbilco likes this.

This user has no status.

I just finished restoring the 1980 yz50g my dad bought me in 1986. I have just started to rebuild my 1982 yz80, I'm hoping with all the various years you have you can answer a couple of my questions. I rode the bike from when my dad bought it used for me in 87 to around 91. The rad headset leak got so bad that I would fill the rad with the garden hose around every 5 mins of riding. Eventually it lost all compression and I couldnt kick start it at first and then later couldnt push start it either. It has sat in a shed for around 10 years and then outside for the last 10, it looks pretty rough and is the red and white color scheme. I have the 82 yz80j stripped down, and the parts ordered that were still available, the cylinder looks good, piston and rings are shot, so i plan to order the standard wiseco 47mm kit for around $100. I'm torn on what to do with the radiator on the bars. My gas tank has a crack in the top corner that needs fixed too. I'm wondering if I just buy an 83 gas tank and rad if it will mount right onto the 82 frame and solve both the cracked tank and coolant thru the steering problem all at once, or if I should just leave the rad on the bars but use longer hoses to bypass the steering tubes and have some slack in them. Also I need to replace or repair all the cracks in the rubber boot between the carb and the engine. If you have any advice on if the tank and rad from the 83 will fit it would be much appreciated. Do you happen to have an extra intake boot laying around?
    Last edited by thekidd77; 07-07-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

The achilles heel of the 82 yz80 is the cooling system design a very poor design that noone seems to have a cure for. A lot of them leaked when new and had to be almost constantly topped off due to coolant pressure building and forcing it's way out of the steering head. Alot of people will just bybass the steering neck all together which is what I recommend if you want to keep the radiator up on the forks. I went to the local hardware store , to the pluming section and bought two 90 degree 1/2 id copper elbows to run from the radiator to bypass cleanly around the steering neck to the engine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liquid cool bends 001.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	94489Four of them should do the trick & they're small enough to clear all of the steering components although you may have to saw through the original hose routing on the top side for clearance plus maybe clearance the bottom fender a bit.You'll have to cut and rout your hoses accordingly to bypass but the end result will be a leak free system. To mount the stock radiator down off of the forks requires a little creativity and I've seen it done.Hose clamps through the radiator to to the frame.or the shock reservoir, tabs welded to the frame or holes drilled through the frame to mount the radiator.As far as exchanging/ swapping tanks,radiators between years I personally haven't experimented with that yet as I am planning on keeping the radiator where it is,I do know that the 83 and later frames may have holes drilled and tapped to mount the radiator and brackets that the 82 does not have FYI. All my rubber boots are like yours with the exception of one what I'm going to do is measure the 92 intake against the 82 cylinder and if there's no leak issues I'll get a extra off of Ebay.....
    Last edited by hobbeekid; 03-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links