Modified BW80 Yamaha - Page 2

PlanetMinis Forums

Modified BW80 Yamaha

This is a discussion on Modified BW80 Yamaha within the 2 Stroke Pitbikes forums, part of the General Talk category; The wheels look awesome on there, and like you said, way more tire options. The deal I got on the '90 was great, the guy ...

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Modified BW80 Yamaha

This user has no status.

The wheels look awesome on there, and like you said, way more tire options. The deal I got on the '90 was great, the guy had it chained up in a parking garage in some condos in Denver, I didn't even try to talk him down. I paid almost that much for the other one in pieces. I do like having the beater, I want to try milling the head myself and get an FMF on it and see how it does, eventually I am going to use the original cylinder and put a Wiseco piston in it as well (.080" since it is really worn out), remove half of the balls in the clutch and go from there, I like to go to the dunes atv'ing and I like riding it from camp to camp.

This user has no status.

you wouldn't have your old Yamaha part numbers for those wheels would ya? We have a stall with 6 fully restored bw80's. Have an annual big wheel race / party too. I would love to have a set of those wheels! Plus we are out of rear tire options, (we bought the last 3 rears the factory still had in stock last year). Thanks!

This user has no status.

Just picked up a clean bw80 and ready to get this thing able to ride like a 125 with out boring...
    Do we have a forum just to these little bw80s? I know the atc 70s are very popular.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

They are basically a PW80 so engine mods would be the same. Forks are the same other than the clamps. They make heavy springs for them. I can't say enough good things about how well the Fastace reservoir shock works on this bike. The 550 lb spring for adults is perfect. The geometry of the swingarm allows the spring to work right. PWonly.com has some nice items (look under PW80) but they always seem to be out of stock. Do some searches on PW80's, there's info out there on upgrades....

This user has no status.

Very cool bike! I always wanted a big BW, I think they made a 350 also, right? That would be a great candidate for one of my spare 490 motors!

But it's good to know that the 80 motor has enough power to be fun and pull around those big heavy wheels. Now I want one! That motor has a ton of potential. You could open up the exhaust port to 70% of bore and open up the transfers. If you have the tools, all it costs is time and a gasket set.

This user has no status.

A few months ago I came very close to buying an 87' for $700. Been wondering if the bw is really worth the extra $$$ over the pw. I thought for that price I could easily pick up a pw80, mod it out and possibly have more fun on that.

This user has no status.

I think a BW would be way more fun than a PW! I've ridden a PW80 and it sorta sucked. (sorry PW owners out there). And to be honest, I've never ridden a BW before, but I think I'd like it a lot more. Anyway, the resale value is there, so even if you spend more $$$, you can sell it for more $$$ too. I think they're getting more rare and more expensive. The value may even go up, unlike the PW's which are just getting beat to death haha.

This user has no status.

Yes, they made a BW350. Used one's in good shape are expensive. Raising the exhaust port on the BW80 and milling the head give significant gains. The only weak link is the auto clutch. If the manual clutch from another model Yamaha 80 fits i'd sure like to know!

is Ridin an SSR 140

I just found one of these on Craigslist for $550 last week, but when I called the guy he said he actually had TWO of them for sale!!! I jumped in the truck and bought them both for $1100. Both fire right up on the first kick and run pretty good. Plans are to get a FMF pipe and little things here and there for now. I'd like to get some wheels and tires like you 234wheeler sometime though, those look really good! These things are a BLAST to ride.
    http://

This user has no status.

Yeah, the're fun. The front rim off the Yamaha quads is the same size (10X5). I had to knock out the studs in the front hub and use longer bolts, nuts, and spacers between the rim and hub to get the wheel centered between the forks but it looks good and is tubeless and lighter. Make a template of your stock rear wheel mounting flange and transfer that to a 8X6" wide rim with a centered mounting flange (0 offset). It's a pain to do but the only way I know to get aluminum wheels. It looks like the front rim for the Honda Odyessey FL250 made by Douglas (DWT) will be the "go to" rear wheel for the BW80. It's 8x6 wide with a centered mounting flange, no offset (3x3) with 3 mounting bolts. The center will still need to be modified to fit like the stock BW80 rim. Here's a photo of the modified rim....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0691.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	149458
    Last edited by 234wheeler; 09-27-2014 at 07:49 PM.

This user has no status.

Do we know what carb we can upgrade to? I was wondering if we could use a yz80 or yz85
    Does anyone have a jetting guess going for mods or what stock jetting is? I know we aren't the same as the pw80s?
    So porting the exhaust port on the head helps alo,t a fmf pipe for a pw80 helps, boring the top redneck style helps, boyseen power reeds, better air filter helps, what else?
    i want to spank some klx 110's lol,

Also checked yamaha part numbers and we share the cdi box with the pw80 so we could use this
    YAMAHA PW80 PW 80 RACING CDI CONTROL UNIT MODULE CD15
    Last edited by upongame; 08-20-2012 at 12:47 AM.

This user has no status.

A YZ80 carb would be way too big for that motor unless you motor is very highly modified. A YZ60 or KX60 carb would be a nice step up, but mounting it might be a challenge. Look around to see who mods these engines and you might find a manifold that lets you mount a normal spigot carb instead of the female spigot. Or go to a bone yeard, find a carb and use a piece of radiator hose and some clamps just to see if there's any performance gain.

This user has no status.

WTF is boring the top redneckstyle??

Also, porting the exhaust port on the head would be a bad idea LMAO!

This user has no status.

heard does wonders, porting top redneck style is getting dremel and well where spark plug goes it shimming a little off and polishing it. Exhaust port helps wonders too same idea...
    Other then jets fmf pipe from pw80 and boring size not much else you can do besides going with str8 uni in front of carb.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by upongame View Post
    getting dremel and well where spark plug goes it shimming a little off and polishing it.
    Huhhh??? Now that's funny! Believe me, messing around with a dremel inside the spark plug hole isn't going to make the bike any faster. Neither will polishing the exhaust port unless you re-shape it, which requires a port map, some good porting tools and a good amount of math to get it right.

There is a lot you can do to that engine without getting too fancy, but all of the mods combined might add up to 2hp at the end of the day. If you've got money to spend, a pipe and a carb would be a good choices. Then it's time to look for porting and head mods done by someone who does that professionally.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links