Modified BW80 Yamaha - Page 3

PlanetMinis Forums

Modified BW80 Yamaha

This is a discussion on Modified BW80 Yamaha within the 2 Stroke Pitbikes forums, part of the General Talk category; What kind of bars did you put on there? Mine are bent and can't find anything that is similar to oem bars. I have gotten ...

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Modified BW80 Yamaha

is gettin' dirty

What kind of bars did you put on there? Mine are bent and can't find anything that is similar to oem bars. I have gotten to the point where I feel like I am going to have to try to bend them back! Those look great!

This user has no status.

I updated my info. They're Fastminis aluminum bars. I don't think they're around anymore but a set of KLX110 style tall bars would work.

is gettin' dirty

Quote Originally Posted by 234wheeler View Post
    I updated my info. They're Fastminis aluminum bars. I don't think they're around anymore but a set of KLX110 style tall bars would work.
    That's kind of what I was thinking either klx110s or xr50s. Are these the ones you have? http://www.jtmindustries.com/fastminis-mini-bar-p4569/ Looks like they are for klx and xr/cfrs.
    Last edited by palmstatecrawler; 09-09-2012 at 01:40 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

That's the one! Also look on pwonly.com under pw80 parts for some other stuff. I bought their push button kill switch, kick starter, etc. They have an alloy bar on there for taller riders too.
    Last edited by 234wheeler; 06-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.

is gettin' dirty

Seeing how I am probably a bit taller than the average bw80 rider at 6', I just may go with those taller bars from pwonly.I also saw that their is a cheap lift for pw80s that I might throw on there and so I can put the duro 18x9-7 tire on there without bottoming out. I've read that people that lift the rear end also shim their fork or do something else to get the higher.

This is the piece that x-tender sells to raise the rear 4 inches. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-X-TENDER...sories&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by palmstatecrawler; 09-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.

This user has no status.

That Xtender is cool. I'd be a little worried about the handling with it unless the forks were extended somehow.

This user has no status.

Just get the fastace reservoir shock on ebay. 11" eye to eye. Listed as a 58AR w/550 lb. spring. $85 shipped. Works great. You'll need to drill your top shock mounting hole back from the stock one about 3/4" to raise the rear end. Fasterminis has ttr90 heavy fork springs that fit the BW80/PW80 forks. This will help balance things out. Did you see the photo of my top clamp? That will raise the front end by dropping the fork in the clamps...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw80 top triple2.jpeg 
Views:	438 
Size:	967.9 KB 
ID:	149459
    Last edited by 234wheeler; 09-27-2014 at 07:50 PM.

is gettin' dirty

Ahhhh... I see that now! I have been staring at this thread 2 STROKE BIKER BLOG: Yamaha BW 80's. A pair of Sam Simmons Specials. trying to figure out how that would raise the REAR! Now that totally makes sense for dropping the forks down a bit. I am a welder but I dont have the machining tools to bend the metal appropriately as you have. Nicely done!

Original:

Recently: It was wrapped in matte black vinyl at the time of this pic but is now line-xed.

I bought this for $550 and it came with a spare engine and a few other parts from a parts bike. The guy I bought it from ended up becoming a friend of mine and we now ride and work on bikes together.
    Last edited by palmstatecrawler; 09-10-2012 at 09:59 PM.

This user has no status.

What a coincidence, that's who's idea I stole! He's a cool guy. Anyway, The top clamp has been cut and welded not bent. The vertical pieces are just some thick strap metal welded to the cut up top clamp. I lowered the forks in the bottom clamp an inch or so, bolted the two cut off top pieces back on the top of the forks like they are stock, and welded in the strap pieces using the whole setup as a jig. Came out nice and makes the top clamp stronger in my opinion. Sam shows how he did his with a jig, very nice.
    Last edited by 234wheeler; 09-11-2012 at 01:12 AM.

is gettin' dirty

So the only thing that you had to do was cut the triptree and weld in two >1" pieces vertically? That sounds easy enough. What did you use to cut the trees with? I'm thinking I will finish line-xing, put new bars on, install duro 19x8-7 tire, buy that x-tender or see if a buddy can make one and look into doing the "taller trees" mod at the beginning of september. Should be fun for wintertime! I will also see what size sprocket is on the rear and see if I can go taller but the po said he put a larger one on there already. We shall see....

This user has no status.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw80.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	149460Here's Sam's image. His vertical pieces might be taller than mine. The vertical pieces I used are 2" tall x 2" wide x 3/8" thick. This will give you about an 1 1/2" rise. You'll have to remove a piece about a 1/2" wide from both sides of the top clamp so the vertical pieces angle in at the top a little. They would look bad if they were straight up and down. Of course you could make the pieces taller or shorter if your looking for a different height, but i'm happy with the handling and looks.
    Last edited by 234wheeler; 02-03-2015 at 09:55 PM.

is gettin' dirty

Does that fastace shock that you are talking about raise the rear? Or would I also need to get the extender? I didn't get a chance to measure the length of the stock shock.

This user has no status.

The shock alone does not raise the rear end. You need to drill the top shock mounting hole about 3/4" back from the stock mounting hole to raise the rear end. Once you do that you'll need a chain roller to help take up the slack created by raising the rear end.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw shock 001.JPG 
Views:	1055 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	149461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw shock 003.JPG 
Views:	2084 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	149462
    Last edited by 234wheeler; 09-27-2014 at 07:54 PM.

This user has no status.

How would you rate these stock in terms of handling and weight for a 7 year old ? We are trying to get him on a bike but I worry about the weight of the BW's? Is the power pretty tame and linear for a young boy?

is gettin' dirty

There is a washer that is where the exhaust meets the engine that limits airflow resulting in a slower bike for younger riders. He should be fine if that is in there and when he needs more power then remove it. I wish I had one of these when I was 7 yrs old!

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links