Modified BW80 Yamaha - Page 56

PlanetMinis Forums

Modified BW80 Yamaha

This is a discussion on Modified BW80 Yamaha within the 2 Stroke Pitbikes forums, part of the General Talk category; The Big Wheel looks factory new! Good job. As far as the crash I had the same thing happen to me but I was in ...

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Modified BW80 Yamaha

This user has no status.

The Big Wheel looks factory new! Good job. As far as the crash I had the same thing happen to me but I was in a Landcruiser. The guy was 90! He cut me off and if I hadn't actually hit him I would have rolled. Man there's some really bad drivers in So.Cal!

This user has no status.

I was riding my 07 KLX250S, bringing it in for the first inspection. I just got it a month ago, got it at a decent price. I was hit on the right side. It was one of those slo-motion things going on. First time getting hit on the street. EVERYONE is telling me to give up riding. I'm not sure I can do that.

This user has no status.

question...for the fastace shock mod, everyone says to drill a new shock mount hole 3/4" behind the stock mounting hole. Is this necessary, due to the short top mount on the fastace shock? Or is this just to raise the rear end of the bike by 2"? Just curious, if I want to keep the stock height of the rear, and simply replace the soft OEM shock (made for a small person) with an adult weight capacity shock (fastace 550 as mentioned) can I simply bolt on the shock in the stock hole? Or is the top of the shock too short to reach the stock mounting hole?

I cut custom spacers to stiffen up my front forks for adult riders, and they work great. Now I need to stiffen the rear suspension of the bike to match.
    Don't want to raise the rear, just stiffen it. I also run the original oil tank, and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, so the fastace resevoir shock that is mentioned on this forum thread may not work for me with the stock oil tank. I will try to find a stiffer 11" eye to eye shock that has a long top mounting design like the stock BW80 shock.

Any ideas?

thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

It should bolt up. The spring diameter isn't any bigger than stock so the oil tank shouldn't be an issue. You need some washers to use for spacers on the shock and you could offset the shock away from the oil tank if it's too close. I recommend getting the heavy fork springs. Together with the shock it handles the rough stuff really well.

is glad the stupid thing runs!

Quote Originally Posted by harleykids View Post
    question...for the fastace shock mod, everyone says to drill a new shock mount hole 3/4" behind the stock mounting hole. Is this necessary, due to the short top mount on the fastace shock? Or is this just to raise the rear end of the bike by 2"? Just curious, if I want to keep the stock height of the rear, and simply replace the soft OEM shock (made for a small person) with an adult weight capacity shock (fastace 550 as mentioned) can I simply bolt on the shock in the stock hole? Or is the top of the shock too short to reach the stock mounting hole?

I cut custom spacers to stiffen up my front forks for adult riders, and they work great. Now I need to stiffen the rear suspension of the bike to match.
    Don't want to raise the rear, just stiffen it. I also run the original oil tank, and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, so the fastace resevoir shock that is mentioned on this forum thread may not work for me with the stock oil tank. I will try to find a stiffer 11" eye to eye shock that has a long top mounting design like the stock BW80 shock.

Any ideas?

thanks!
    You don't have to change the mount hole but I would recommend it.
    I had to flip the shock around to get the reservoir to clear the oil tank on my bike and that was with the changed mounting hole. I would also recommend the heavier fork springs I think PW's Only have them.

This user has no status.

yeah, so therein lies the problem. The fastace 550lb inch shock with built in resevoire is not meant to be run upside down.
    and the resevoire looks like it will definitely hit the stock oil tank, no doubt about it.

Anyone know of a remote resevoire fastace 550lb inch shock? Or another shock without a resevoire that would work for an adult?

And no need to buy new springs for the front forks....1" PVC sched. 40 spacers work perfectly for adult riders! $0.25 worth of material!

I heard the KTM 65 shock may work, but same issue, it has a resevior too?

Any other ideas? I may just try a honda 11" eye to eye shock from a CB400 or something.
    Last edited by harleykids; 10-26-2016 at 02:53 PM.

This user has no status.

Non reservoir shocks need to have the shock body in the up position to work correctly. Reservoir shocks can be mounted in any position and still operate correctly. The reason most are mounted body up is to save on unsprung weight. This info is from the Works Performance shocks website. Adding a spacer to your fork springs will add preload to the spring and will change the ride height but will not change the spring rate.
    PUBCRAWL likes this.

This user has no status.

Where do you get heavier springs for these forks? I have acouple of these bikes and would like to stiffen up the suspension. How does heavier fork oil seem to work ?

This user has no status.

My pitster came with super thin shock oil. Just a guess. But I'm thinking somewhere in the 5-7.5 wt neighbor hood and had 125cc in it. It would bottom out crazy easy. I put in 175cc of 15wt and what an amazing difference. It is about perfect now. Same ride height. A little stiffer and slower performance that doesn't bottom out at all now. Maybe worth a shot before going to heavier springs.

This user has no status.

I saw it asked once with an "i'm pretty sure" answer. But I'd like something more specific. Will the footrest off a PW80 fit the bw? Also, is there a difference between the PW seat and the BW seat other than where they meet the fuel tank? I am in need of most body work and am considering a china PW set with fenders, seat and tank. I no there are a few things that need done but it's not gonna be cost effective if I still have to find a bw seat.

This user has no status.

The foot pegs are the same but everyone upgrades to the cleated ones you can get on pwonly.com. Per previous post on this thread plastics will fit with modifications but are not the same as the bw obviously due to big wheels/tires. Look through this thread as someone actually did it.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Sponsored Links