Deckson Daredevil "Rat bike" Restoration.

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Deckson Daredevil "Rat bike" Restoration. within the 2 Stroke Pitbikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Alright well I have finally picked up another project. A rare Australian mini-bike. It is run by a Kirby 2T engine and is all original, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    is needing funding for parts...
    and whiskey.

Alright well I have finally picked up another project. A rare Australian mini-bike. It is run by a Kirby 2T engine and is all original, even down to the 5 rust holes in the tank.
    After a bit of thought I have decided to go over the bike and get it in working order but keep it looking nearly the same as it is now. There is so much work to be done if I want this bike original and for $100 the money would be better spent on my next project which is just a day or two from arrival.

Anyway now down to the dirt with this bike. I purchased it of a bloke nearby to me after he commented on my '82 Z50R. He mentioned he had a Deckson of some kind and only bought it because it came with a CB650 he is restoring. I said I would have a look and took it straight away. It came in a box with all the parts from factory and needs a lot of work to me usable. I have started on cleaning up some of the chrome parts but most of it stripped away as I worked leaving bare metal. One of the rear shocks is frozen but I have managed to free the other. The thing that amazes me about this bike is the simplicity. It uses a push bike chain and has only a rear brake. The tyres are original and are sized 4x5 and the tubes still hold pressure.

The seat has been burnt at the rear so I will need to get it re-done. The tank is in need of a good once over and the bars and forks are not much better.

Anyway here are a few pictures to get everyone going. It is a very weird bike but will be great as a basher. I love the idea of the sprung seat rather than a swing arm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-03_11-50-21_414.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	104738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-03_11-50-06_959.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	104739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-03_12-39-11_244.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	104740
    Hidden Content , Restoration project begun 06.March.2012 Rebuilt 24.March.2012 Improvements Ongoing
    Hidden Content
    , Planning begun 10.April.2012 Building Began 01.May.2012 Powder Coat and fine tuning to go.
    Hidden Content , Revival attempt begun 1.September.2012 Got Bored, Given Up For Now.
    Hidden Content , Partial restoration begun 3.January.2013

is Riding Pitbikes since 78

Got your self a softtail there eh,i like it,keep us posted on your progress!

and whiskey.

Will do. I am just about to pull the motor back out and give it a going over. I need a new throttle cable and a new brake lever, should no be to hard to source. The engine still gets spark and has decent compression. I am going to let the carby soak over night and will give it a go in the morning. I managed to get the other shock free so now I have a nice comfy seat to bounce around on. This bike is a pit bike if I have ever seen one haha. It has a reported top speed of 50kph (30mph).
    Hidden Content , Restoration project begun 06.March.2012 Rebuilt 24.March.2012 Improvements Ongoing
    Hidden Content
    , Planning begun 10.April.2012 Building Began 01.May.2012 Powder Coat and fine tuning to go.
    Hidden Content , Revival attempt begun 1.September.2012 Got Bored, Given Up For Now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

and whiskey.

Alright I have finished cleaning and painting the engine. It looks awesome now. The Carby is still covered in some kind of stick grime that I could only assume to be 2T fuel from the early 80s if not before.
    I will leave it for longer and see how it turns out tomorrow. If the turps doesn't clean it enough I will grab some heavy duty degreaser and use that on it.
    I am going to try and get the tank fixed tomorrow but I will see how I go. The fenders need a clean and I am thinking of repainting the frame. I will give the forks a once over as well.
    Here is a picture of the engine now for comparison. There is a small amount of white paint on the front sprocket and clutch case but I will remove that tomorrow.

Name:	2013-01-03_17-52-34_981.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	104745
    Hidden Content

Wow, you work quick! Should be done by tomorrow, lol!Keep it up!

This user has no status.

Ehhh. Not into this particular beast. It's rusty as. Reminds me of a crappy domestic Bonanza w/a two stroke motor. What's the next project? Hopefully some kind of XR75 or something cool. --L*64

Come on now, anything with 2 wheel's and a motor is cool!

This user has no status.

Cool looking bike, unique build, keep it up!

and whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar64 View Post
    Ehhh. Not into this particular beast. It's rusty as. Reminds me of a crappy domestic Bonanza w/a two stroke motor. What's the next project? Hopefully some kind of XR75 or something cool. --L*64
    Haha I think it is in league with them, it is from around 1971 and was $159 new with motor. The next build isn't a mini but is still a classic. I missed out on the XR75 I was after. The owner decided to restore it "sometime" in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitviking View Post
    Come on now, anything with 2 wheel's and a motor is cool!
    Yeah this thing has grown on my, it is not the Deckson Clubman I was hoping it would be but it is still cool.

Quote Originally Posted by motorheadparts1 View Post
    Cool looking bike, unique build, keep it up!
    Thanks, I am just about to start working on the frame. I will stick up some pictures once it's done.

Also Dirtbkr has pointed out I may be wrong about the engine being a 2T, we will see once I get her started.
    Hidden Content

and whiskey.

She runs! Also I now know this thread is in the wrong section. Dirtbkr was right, it is a 4T. It runs for a good 15 seconds then dies. I have run out of time to work on it today but I had a go at welding up the fuel tank only to blow the holes bigger.
    I decided to keep going and 1 is patched, the other 3 (two became one during welding) have minor leaks but they are on the top of the tank so I would call them breathers.
    I have removed most of the rust from the fenders and went over them with a wire brush after the aluminium foil treatment. They are rusted as all hell and the chrome has gone green.
    I will stick pictures up later when I get a chance.
    Hidden Content

You know, it's funny when i first looked at it ,i chuckled and said " now that's a pitbike",ya, i now what the reg's say what a pitbike is,but this is a real pitbike! Keep us posted.

This user has no status.

Those wheels look like Honda QA50 items. Also the motor looks to be a re-bagded Tecumseh motor made by Lawson products here in the USA. Good luck on the bike. Yes, it is a real original pitbike. Before the term "pitbike" was hijacked and limited to open frame 4T XR50 based machines.

edit: I have a QA50 and I've been having a tough time finding tires for the 5" wheels. I did fing a good source for street tires (I plan on racing it in minimoto). You can go to your local small airport and ask the mechanics if they have old take-offs. Many small airplanes use 4x13x5 tires.
    Last edited by T-Dub13; 01-04-2013 at 11:23 AM.

and whiskey.

Yeah it is a Tecumseh engine made in Sydney by a bloke who's first name eludes me (I think I read it was John) and last name was Kirby, hence the Kirby Tecumseh.
    I was thinking a wheelbarrow might be a good source for tyres haha. I am sure my Honda dealer can get me something, and you are right they do look like QA wheels, along with z50A bars.

I stuck an LED bar into the tank and hooked up a battery only to find another 4 holes. After a lot more welding and blowing holes in the metal at my welders lowest setting (40amps) it is finaly sealed. The welder is 30 years old and the rods would be about the same.
    Excuse the mess as it was my second time welding, but I think it suits the rat look. I have cleaned down the fenders and polished then clear coated them so they are finished and the tank has had the same done.

Anyway here are a few pictures to tide everyone over. I have a bit of house repairs to do today so no work will be getting done on this bike, I will also be picking up my next project tonight, a 1984 Yamaha SR250. Not a mini but still a nice bike.

Name:	2013-01-04_19-03-10_353.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	104844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-04_19-03-44_323.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	104845
    Hidden Content

and whiskey.

So I sort of fell away from this while I worked on my SR250 but that got finished yesterday! Took me long enough haha. As I am in between work at the moment (aka broke as hell) I cant really do to much to this bike. I am thinking of pulling the motor again and giving it a rebuild as it just wont start! That and the rear brake needs a bit of work. I had an idea while I was working on the SR for a new tank for this. I was thinking of getting two bits of pipe and cutting them to the length of the gap and welding them into an arrowhead shape. Here is a crappy paint drawing for proof on concept!

Name:	decksontank.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	110434
    Hidden Content

This user has no status.

Cool idea. You might want to do the tank in copper pipe. 3" copper tubing and end caps would look cool, old school and polish up nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links