Ttr125l playbike build - Page 3

PlanetMinis Forums

Ttr125l playbike build

This is a discussion on Ttr125l playbike build within the Bigger Minis Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; all i have to say is WOW!...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ttr125l playbike build

is thinking what would you do for
    a Klondike bar?

all i have to say is WOW!
    -ALEX MONTEER #423 Hidden Content

My Bikes
    DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (built race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (moded yz85 conversion Gf's bike)
    2015 ssr160tx (lots of upgrades coming)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2007 SDG 140cc

This user has no status.

So after sitting on the bike and playing with the rebound I think I'm going to have to set a faster rebound with the adjustment at its fastest it just seems too slow. I'm going to double check my sag set it and see. But as of right now I think I gotta rework it oh well bike isn't going anywhere right now anyway. I guess. Might as well buy the Race tech bladder cap too it's only $35.
    Thanks everyone this thing is hopefully going to be a beast. I'm really hoping I don't have to order a custom piston and sleeve. Things will increase quick if so. If it comes to that I may just order a piston and nikasil sleeve from pmw and go from there.

This user has no status.

Looking forward to hearing how the engine runs with the 4 valve head!!. I have always wanted to build a ttr125/yz85 conversion build, but the lack of motor mods available always kept me from doing it. Hopefully this 4 valve head will put out some good power.

Those spokes/rims looks awesome by the way. Any reason why you didn't do the full yz85 swingarm/linkage/shock/rear wheel/rear disc brake conversion? Also I have heard the newer style ttr125 plastics bolt right up to the older bikes, and they look way better IMO, might want to check it out. Either way this build is looking good!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Thank you lmkinda love this little thing!

Hoping to have good power gains as well. A company they currently mods to make the 4 valve conversion claims around 17hp with a 150.
    Newer ttr plastics are $700 brand new and they aren't easy to come by you need the tank and the seat as well as the old style won't fit sop too much $$ for cosmetics.
    I didn't go for the yz rear set up because the geometry is a guessing game. Not saying some of the guys here have not done a great job I really think they have. But regaurdless to fit an adult rider you have to 're spring and re valve the suspension so might as well save myself the work and run the ttr suspension modified. And the rear hubs can last if your not bottoming out all the time. I only have about $500 in my suspension and it's worked pretty flawless (not sure about my shock reworking yet)
    And I can stop perfectly fine with the rear drum I honestly do not use the brakes a lot on this bad boy at the big motocross tracks momentum is everything just like a 125 2 stroke so I like my setup it's not for everyone but I push it to its limits and I'm happy.

That was a lot of blabbering sorry haha

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by greenducky55 View Post
    Thank you lmkinda love this little thing!

Hoping to have good power gains as well. A company they currently mods to make the 4 valve conversion claims around 17hp with a 150.
    Newer ttr plastics are $700 brand new and they aren't easy to come by you need the tank and the seat as well as the old style won't fit sop too much $$ for cosmetics.
    I didn't go for the yz rear set up because the geometry is a guessing game. Not saying some of the guys here have not done a great job I really think they have. But regaurdless to fit an adult rider you have to 're spring and re valve the suspension so might as well save myself the work and run the ttr suspension modified. And the rear hubs can last if your not bottoming out all the time. I only have about $500 in my suspension and it's worked pretty flawless (not sure about my shock reworking yet)
    And I can stop perfectly fine with the rear drum I honestly do not use the brakes a lot on this bad boy at the big motocross tracks momentum is everything just like a 125 2 stroke so I like my setup it's not for everyone but I push it to its limits and I'm happy.

That was a lot of blabbering sorry haha
    I understand what your saying. For a playbike like this, I don't think having a rear drum brake is that bad. And I heard that the newer LE model rear shocks with remote resi can be rebuilt/revalved with some sucess. But I was under the impression that one of the main reasons for upgrading the entire rear end to yz85 stuff is to lift the rear of the bike to match the ride height in the front due to the longer yz85 forks. Did you drill a new shock mounting hole to raise the rear end of the bike? Or did you just slide the forks up in the clamps and just ride it as it?

This user has no status.

I ended up just redrilling the hole. Took my time to measure and try to keep the angle the same but ended up with a softer ride than before hence the re valve and ect.

This user has no status.

So a few of my parts came in this week.
    Billet timing plugs/oil fill plug (so glad to have a hex head to remove instead of the flat type that strip easily)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0689.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	155979

Name:	IMAG0688.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	155981

Longer timing chain (hopefully long enough)

Name:	IMAG0687.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	155980

Lightened flywheel (Oh it is sexy really anxious to see this and the counterbalancer combined)

Name:	IMAG0686.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	155982

Exhaust studs (probably should have ordered them a little longer but they work great. Super easy to install)
    No pic

Well that's it for now still waiting for piston and rings.... Next time I'll check stock before I order from them.

This user has no status.

Lord this thing is beautiful. In scared of what this is going to cost. PMW is making a billet cylinder with nikasil coating and water cooling ports! Not sure how he plans to run the plumbing electric water pump maybe?? Not sure still crazy idea. And no modifications. Required for the 4v head. Pushing the limits of the little 125. I have seriously no connection to these guys other than drooling over their work just incase anyone was wondering.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-02-07-09-54-06.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	156099

Name:	Screenshot_2015-02-07-10-00-34.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	156100
    YZ250F4ever likes this.

This user has no status.

Well did some more homework on setting up my 4valve head. And things I'm going to have to purchase or modify. Going to see if PMW can't help me out on one of my issues.

My 100link timing chain is way too long so going to have to break and rivet the master link which I anticipated.

The Zuma cam sprocket is useless for the most part. It is for a different size chain than the crank so yeah.
    TTR chain on Zuma TTR and TTR

Name:	IMAG0717.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	156458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0718.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	156459

The ttr sprocket fits physically in the space provided in the head.

The ttr sprocket does not fit the Zuma cam. The Inside diameter and the key are too big. So either I venture into a custom sprocket which I am imagining won't be a cheap option and really more work than I was hoping for. I'm going to pull my ttr cam and compare it to the ttr cam.

Name:	IMAG0710.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	156460 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0711.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	156461

Problem with the ttr cam possibly is the profile won't be ideal for the 4 valve head. If this is the case I am hoping PMW can shed some light on it and hopefully he has a cam ready to go for this issue.

Last bit of bad news the ##@$ rings are still on backorder.

But this got me looking into ordering a 63 or 65mm piston and custom sleeve from la sleeve. They actually have a sleeve on their shelf that may fit perfectly just needs to be cut to length. So we will see. This project is a lot of work. But someone had to do the homework for the diy crowd haha.

Stay tuned!! Next week I may light it on fire!
    Last edited by greenducky55; 02-13-2015 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added Pics

This user has no status.

Alright had a nice little research week with the motor. i think i may have finally figured out how to make it all work together.
    I will not lie my homework was to stare at someone else's pictures of their hard work of making it happen.
    At this point i am definatly thinking the $1500 price tag that the two companies are charging is justified haha.

By the way I added pics to my previous post to show a few of the things I was talking about. anyways to the Meat of this post!

Compaired cams today... wont be swapping them haha
    2 valve on the left 4 valve on the right

Name:	IMAG0707.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	156463
    2 valve 58.5 mm piston left and Weisco Hi comp stock bore on the right. happy to know the pin heights are the same so i wont have to stress about a custom pston hopefully.

Name:	IMAG0696.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	156464

Computer is forcing me to restart i will follow up in a few (stupid widows

This user has no status.

And we're back!

So i had a bit of a panic about the oil passage to the head Today but I squished my worry as well.
    The TTR oil runs up the front right cylinder stud hole then into the cam and out to the rest of the head originally. (right being as if your sitting on the bike)
    On the Zuma the oil runs from the right Rear stud hole up and into the cam.

So when i pulled the cam out of the two heads i realized the TTR and the zuma had their oil passage for the cam opposite to each other.
    TTR Head on left Zuma on the right.

Name:	IMAG0702.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	959.7 KB 
ID:	156465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0698.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	937.9 KB 
ID:	156466
    so at first i wasn't sure how to make it pass from the front stud to the cam because the head doesn't have an room to even drill a new oil passage.
    The area surrounded in red is where the oil goes from the stud hole to the cam. in the blue is where it needs to be in order to run from the TTR oil source. as you can see no room to drill.

Name:	IMAG0699 Highlghted.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	156467
    SO i took the air compressor and plugged one hole at a time to see if there was by chance a cross over between studs that i just couldn't see. And there IS!!! was so stoked!!

Name:	IMAG0701 Highlighted.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	156468
    The ares highlighted in red is where it passes from the front stud to the rear stud so oil passageway is good to roll!

So back to my cam sprocket issue this is where once again i had to turn to studying other pictures to find an answer. I sent an email to PMW and had no response which in the past he was very fast to respond so i'm guessing they don't want to just had over their solutions to this issue because this is one of their custom pieces. I understand and that's all there is to say about that.. I am going to ask Firepower minis for some help and see what happens. They have a sweet adjustable cam sprocket that they are running and have posted a few pictures of but they are running a different style cam chain. So i am curious what they are doing.

But in my explorations of their facebook have found the old solution to making the ttr sprocket fit. they machined a spacer so that it would fit correctly on the O.D. cam and cut down the alignment key so that it fits perfectly. they appear to have used brass. my plan is to use steel get it tig welded in place and then throw it on the lathe and smooth it all out. i may throw it on the drill press as well and throw a few holes in it to lose some weight for some more revs. I figure ill make 2 or 3 sprockets and send one off to get an adjustable made if nobody will sell me one. Here is a pic of the spacer solution.

Name:	1479514_10151889259308177_501054760_n.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	156469

So that is where we are for now. I'm getting irritated about my piston kit. if i don't hear anything this week i'm going to cancel my order and go bigger 65mm. If i get some cash i'm going to go crazy and get the crank lightened and balanced. i really wish there was a nice billet Clutch for this thing. anyways if anyone has any ideas let me know!

This user has no status.

Alright! so 58.5mm kit i ordered keeps going farther on back order. So i am ordering the 65mm Kit. That will put us to about 180cc think its technically like 179.2 but we will see how it goes.

More good news Terry over at FPM is willing to hook me up with the cam and sprocket. will be awesome to be able to adjust cam timing to squeeze a bit more out of her.

Also working on planning a oil cooler.

Parts list updated. (this is no longer the cheapest option lol)
    Last edited by greenducky55; 02-17-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: because i wanted to

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Damn man! I haven't checked this thread in awhile, you're getting all kinds of crazy with this thing now! Haha.
    ​IG: @ChadWalsh_23
    Hidden Content

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeham View Post
    Damn man! I haven't checked this thread in awhile, you're getting all kinds of crazy with this thing now! Haha.
    Haha ya finally got the lady a bike if her own a klx 140 actually so now I get to have more fun with this one and not have to worry about it being too much for her. Doesn't help I haven't thrown any of the updates on instagram haha. If all goes right should have this thing back on the track in a month or 2

is Who says Big guys can't fly?

Im going to need one of these for my build! Start ordering two of everything!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links