Tak 136 with PE68E carb jetting

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Tak 136 with PE68E carb jetting within the Bigger Minis Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; Hi guys. not sure I've ever shared my bike build here but I put a CRF100F engine in a 2004 CR85 Super Mini. I had ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dirtbkr188

Thread: Tak 136 with PE68E carb jetting

This user has no status.

Hi guys. not sure I've ever shared my bike build here but I put a CRF100F engine in a 2004 CR85 Super Mini. I had a BBR big bore 120 in it and had a good friend do some head work and he also went thru the stock carb and it really woke the bike up. I've been riding the crap out of it and decided I needed more power so I finally broke down and bought a Takegawa 136 big bore kit and got it put on over the weekend. yesterday I made an intake adapter to fit the stock PE60EA carb from the donor CR85. does anyone have some basic jetting settings? I know there a quite a few of these out there floating around and was just looking for a little insight. guess I'll start tinkering tonight if I can find enough jets lying around but I'm pretty sure I gave most of mine away when our race bikes switched over to FI, hadn't planned on building this bike then so guess in hindsight I should have just held on to them. don't want to spend money on a buch of diffent jet sizes if someone here could get me in the ballpark it'd be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

Usually, carbs from 2-stroke bikes are configured differently than carbs for 4-stroke bikes, especially with regards to the slide cutaway. Jetting specs may be hard to come by, unless someone on here has done exactly what you want to do, using the same carb on the same engine.
    TeamIdeal likes this.
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

spent some time talking with a good friend who really knows his s**t on this kind of stuff so when I got home I had a good idea on what to do. it's not perfect yet but it's close. I need to go down one or two more on the pilot and get one size leaner needle and I think it will be spot on until the weather changes lol.
    Last edited by dirtbkr188; 08-18-2016 at 08:38 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

if anyone else stumbles across this thread later there is some good info in this one. I tried the search feature here but had a lot better luck in my search for a needle by typing my keywords into Google

Need Carb Help

This user has no status.

What is the effective size of the 85 carb?

This user has no status.

it's the same carb as the pe28, I just used the Honda part number

This user has no status.

so...I've been playing with this carb for over a week now and I've found the JJH needle does not work with my setup, it makes it to lean. I went back to the stock needle and put it as lean as it will go but it's still just a little rich. I really wish I could come up with a 30 pilot but 35 is the smallest they make. I'm a touch rich on the bottom and middle but up top is spot on. I have a needle ordered thru T Bolt but it doesn't really say which way it goes from stock. right now I'm running a 35 pilot, stock needle and 118 main with the air screw about 1 1/4 turns out.

I should get my new intake boot from Tak today so everything may change after I get it on. really hoping I can pin the jetting down, this thing is a blast to ride.

This user has no status.

just thought I'd give an update. I spent a lot of time searching for jetting info on here and found a lot of guys using the "2 stroke" carb and tried just about every jetting combo I could come up with but never could get it quite to where I was happy with it. then after many conversations with someone that knows more about carbs than I'll ever understand I tried even more combinations and got quite close but it still had one spot that just drove me crazy. it was always as it was going from around 3/4 to full throttle it would cut out just enough that you had to back off and roll slowly back on and it would go thru it. it was never that noticeable until you were in a race situation so it was even more aggravating then lol.
    So...I finally broke down and bought a Takegawa Keihin PE28 Carburetor from Minimob Racing, this thing is the only way to go IMO, I bumped the pilot jet up to a 42, but the needle and main jet were perfect right out of the box. the bike now pulls hard from idle all the way to the rev limit, as Ryan Dungey would say, I'm super pumped.

Sponsored Links