CRF100 XR100 clutch setup

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on CRF100 XR100 clutch setup within the Bigger Minis Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; I know some of you guys are using big bore kits and a few of you are building custom engines that have to be putting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CRF100 XR100 clutch setup

This user has no status.

I know some of you guys are using big bore kits and a few of you are building custom engines that have to be putting out more power than my 136 Tak kit. what are you doing for the clutch? the stocker didn't last long at all so I put the 5 disc Tak in and although it lasted longer the fibers that came with it are really weak and it was toast within a week. I have since cleaned the Tak up and put OEM plates and fibers back in it and added an oil cooler. it is holding up much better but it's still the weakest link by far. the bike is setup for moto and I can get maybe a half day of riding on it before it needs an oil change.

I haven't tried any type of heat gauge or temp gun but the side cover gets hot enough to boil water on it after a 15 minute moto. that's even after the oil cooler install. there is nothing inside binding or rubbing and it's all put together correctly. I read a few comments of guys doing nothing to the clutch with these high HP builds but I just don't see how you're getting by with it. any tips, links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

is 10 year member still has no
    status

Hmmm, I run a super head with large valves, shortened rod, and KLX125 piston, built by StorminNorman. I have an oil cooler and the Tak clutch and cover setup, but honestly I havent had any issues to date with it. This coming from the KING of all clutch abusers. In fact if I put any aftermarket fibers in my KTM, theyre a slipping mess by the end of one day play riding. Yet oem plates will last me several months. But back to the XR, I was hoping you were gonna try the 6 disk setup talked about in the other thread and report back.

This user has no status.

Or try some carbon fibers like the EBC DRCF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by spiz5 View Post
    Hmmm, I run a super head with large valves, shortened rod, and KLX125 piston, built by StorminNorman. I have an oil cooler and the Tak clutch and cover setup, but honestly I havent had any issues to date with it. This coming from the KING of all clutch abusers. In fact if I put any aftermarket fibers in my KTM, theyre a slipping mess by the end of one day play riding. Yet oem plates will last me several months. But back to the XR, I was hoping you were gonna try the 6 disk setup talked about in the other thread and report back.
    interesting. I don't have the Tak cover but it's on my to get list because of the filter. I can't hardly see it helping that much with cooling but maybe so if you have the aluminum one. maybe it's just my weight, I'm about 225 but only 5' 9. we put it under some hard use this weekend and it held up way better with the oil cooler but I'm still searching for something better.

the 6 disk setup is still to narrow to work and adding another disk it to much. I may do some machining and try and get 6 OEM in or go with 7 in that setup. I was in a hurry last week and just went with what I knew would work. I'll probably end up living with it until this winter when I have some spare time.

I may try the carbon fiber but I've always had my best luck with OEM or Hinson and Hinson doesn't make a clutch pack for the 100 so...

status

I also cant see the cover making all the difference either. Im 180lbs and race mine in one hour hare scrambles, with the oem clutch one race, and that was it. With the Tak I put it in the end of last season, so basically a year, and havent touched it since.
    Have you broke any kickstart gears yet, or are you bump starting always?

This user has no status.

are you running the Tak plates and fibers? I had no luck at all with the Tak fibers, the plates still looked pretty good but the fibers didn't even last me a weekend. I rode a ton this weekend and then again last night and am going to again tonight and Thursday night, so far the OEM plates and fibers seem to be doing well. I adjusted the play for the first time last night. I at least feel like I can get thru a day of riding now without needing to change the oil.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the cover just for the oil filter. is the filter one I can get at any shop or do you have to order it?

I used the kick start on mine until it kicked back really good one time, since then I've been bumping it to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by TeamIdeal; 09-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.

is Tinkering

Does not sound like you guys have a friction problem, more like a clamp load problem. Put some washers under the clutch springs and try that out. Or find stiffer springs?

This user has no status.

The Tak kit comes with stiffer springs, noticeably stiffer, but I can give this a go. for now the OEM fibers seem to be holding up. I plan to do some measuring and machining when I get some time to see what I can come up with. you can really tell the days are getting shorter so it won't be long before we can't ride of an evening and I can start checking things.

This user has no status.

I agree with mrrcx. Call me arrogant or cucky but I have put well over 20 hp through the 5 disk takie setup without slip.

Yes the Takegawa springs are stiffer by a fair margin over factory but still not as stiff as aftermarket cr 85 springs. If memory serves the aftermarket cr 84 springs are 15% stiffer than the Takegawa.

I personally run the 85 springs with hyper plates

Spizz5 setup Takegawa xr 100 +R make over ;-)

Mutant Motor Xr/klx my personal engine 195cc

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

status

I have no more clutch problems since going to the Tak setup a year ago. I think between the heavier springs, and the hyper plates Stormin suggested, thats about as good as its gonna get. But I did notice in one of ypur last posts you said "I adjusted the play for the first time last night", I run a large amount of freeplay as my abusive habits will take it up quickly, and cause slipping if I dont.
    The oil filter is pretty readily available, as most chinese pitbikes use the same. It also is the same as a Honda 125 Fourtrax I think, but do a quick search, as I dont recall if thats the exact model or year. Theres also a stainless available from Scotts Performance.

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

The OEM Honda part number is right here
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

thanks for the info storminorman07, I had seen you mention these plates when I was reading thru some old post but I never cold find them even with a Google search. I will be ordering those and the CR85 springs today.

I run very little free play on our race bikes but I'm like you with this clutch and make sure I run plenty. I plan to order one of the clutch covers in the next week or so. I'm leaning towards the magnesium one, thanks for the filter info.

thanks for the link dirtbkr188

status

I have the aluminum version. My thoughts were when it got scratched from boots and such it would be easy to polish and pretty up. But since my motor is in a CR conversion, the way its laid out, the cover doesnt see much scratching anyways.

This user has no status.

yeah, I have mine media blasted right now, kind of resembling the factory Honda look, the aluminum ones I've seen are all polished so I didn't want bling on one side and media blast on the other. I kind of thought the same, that when it started to get some wear on it I'd just media blast it and it would all match again.

after Googling a couple of different things this mourning I found Barnett Clutch happens to make a very similar drive plate as CHP along with Kevlar friction plates and a spring kit. I may give this a go so I can buy everything from one place.

here's a picture of the shifter side, the clutch side looks the same. had to throw a picture of my kid railing it around a corner at Pit Bike des Nations. he won his class but they ended up 2nd overall. he's way faster than me but actually much easier on the clutch. I rode it at the same race in a different moto and got third, my team ended up 4th overall. I'm really thinking about building another one so we don't have to share it.

Last edited by TeamIdeal; 09-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.

This user has no status.

hey spiz5, what carb are you running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links