Shift Up Build Quality

PlanetMinis Forums

Shift Up Build Quality

This is a discussion on Shift Up Build Quality within the Bigger Minis Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; I'm upgrading the engine on one of my xr100s for this race season to compete in a few more classes at my local mini moto ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shift Up Build Quality

This user has no status.

Shift Up Build Quality

I'm upgrading the engine on one of my xr100s for this race season to compete in a few more classes at my local mini moto track. I'm getting a big bore kit and really wanted the Takegawa 125 stroker kit, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. The Yoshimura kit is much more and then I found the Shift Up bore and strok e kits like this one Shit Up 125cc from webike (the site won't let me post the link since I'm new).

I know you get what you pay for, but is the Yosh kit really twice as good because it costs about twice as much especially with the expensive shipping for the multiple packages. Shift Up has good reviews on the site, but I haven't been able to find any good reviews in English for Shift Up products.

Can anyone weigh in on their build quality or reliability? This bike is also street legal so I'll have an oil cooler to help with temps, but I still want something reliable and that makes good hp.

Any advice would be great I spent most of my riding years on sport bikes so not too familiar with the mini moto aftermarket.

Thanks!

This user has no status.

I can't comment on the kit your looking at (am interested in the responses though). Let's see that XR though.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
    I can't comment on the kit your looking at (am interested in the responses though). Let's see that XR though.
    Yeah I'm hoping for some responsor soon. I think this is the only picture I have I'm #23. She's ugly right now bought it from a family that motocrossed it this spring for $400 the fairings have teeth marks in it from a dog and it's 3 colors, but I'll clean her up once I get finished building the engine. I rewired the stator and put some quick release molex connectors om the from and back for lights and got it plated can't wait to run errands on this thing in the spring.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	196978

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Shift up items I have purchased in the past are on par with takegawa and g'craft in terms of look and feel. I have never purchased any engine parts from them, but have purchased several other parts. Every one of them have been top notch.

is restoring my original CT70 dax
    i use to race in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor1986 View Post
    I'm upgrading the engine on one of my xr100s for this race season to compete in a few more classes at my local mini moto track. I'm getting a big bore kit and really wanted the Takegawa 125 stroker kit, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. The Yoshimura kit is much more and then I found the Shift Up bore and strok e kits like this one Shit Up 125cc from webike (the site won't let me post the link since I'm new).

I know you get what you pay for, but is the Yosh kit really twice as good because it costs about twice as much especially with the expensive shipping for the multiple packages. Shift Up has good reviews on the site, but I haven't been able to find any good reviews in English for Shift Up products.

Can anyone weigh in on their build quality or reliability? This bike is also street legal so I'll have an oil cooler to help with temps, but I still want something reliable and that makes good hp.

Any advice would be great I spent most of my riding years on sport bikes so not too familiar with the mini moto aftermarket.

Thanks!
    Heres a vid of my XR100 motocrosser with a ported shift up head SX35 takegawa cam and 120cc kit with a lightened crank i machined up myself then static balanced PLV inner rotor ignition
    shift up extra plate clutch basket
    raqced a season no problems even smoked a few YZ80s bike is quite quick

xr100 run 2_zps1kpcbvvk.mp4 Video by logistics835 | Photobucket

This user has no status.

have you looked on Mini Mob website? a lot of times they will have Tak stuff when Webike doesn't. it's a little higher but then again the shipping is quite a bit cheaper and they're great guys to deal with.
    Trevor1986 likes this.

This user has no status.

Yeah I'm hoping for some responsor soon. I think this is the only picture I have I'm #23. She's ugly right now bought it from a family that motocrossed it this spring for $400 the fairings have teeth marks in it from a dog and it's 3 colors, but I'll clean her up once I get finished building the engine. I rewired the stator and put some quick release molex connectors om the from and back for lights and got it plated can't wait to run errands on this thing in the spring.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!

Name:	image000000.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	196978
    I really want to setup my XR for street duty work as well but just haven't been able to muster the energy to take it on.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbilco View Post
    Heres a vid of my XR100 motocrosser with a ported shift up head SX35 takegawa cam and 120cc kit with a lightened crank i machined up myself then static balanced PLV inner rotor ignition
    shift up extra plate clutch basket
    raqced a season no problems even smoked a few YZ80s bike is quite quick

That thing sounds mean!

Did you port the head yourself or are you talking about the Shift-Up Spartan head?

What rear shock is that? That's next on my list. I saw the tak rear shock for under $300, but haven't found any reviews on that yet.

I have zero machining skills so was looking at the full shift up kit with spartan head and the stroker crank so I can still compete in our track's F1 (under 125cc).
    sgtbilco likes this.

This user has no status.

Name:	20170101_160446.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	197690
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
    I really want to setup my XR for street duty work as well but just haven't been able to muster the energy to take it on.
    Just finished the street kit yesterday I did all the wiring myself so sorting out the blinker flasher and reg/rect wiring took a few hours otherwise the process was pretty straight forward. The most time consuming was making sure everything passed through the molex connectors for quick release if I was leaving the kit on full-time the build would have been much easier. I can go from track to street in 5 mins with this setup. Everything works except I need to add lock nuts the vibs loosened all my wing nuts. I also need a serious gearing change for cruising on the street. All in all it's pretty fun riding this thing around. First ride pic below, that tree fell across the road right after I drove by scary experience I would have been carted off to the hospital if that thing hit me!!

This user has no status.

^^ have a parts list and/or can you start a thread with some more detailed pictures? I am now quite curious to give it a whirl.

This user has no status.

That thing sounds mean!

Did you port the head yourself or are you talking about the Shift-Up Spartan head?

What rear shock is that? That's next on my list. I saw the tak rear shock for under $300, but haven't found any reviews on that yet.

I have zero machining skills so was looking at the full shift up kit with spartan head and the stroker crank so I can still compete in our track's F1 (under 125cc).
    I have the Tak shock and for $300 I don't think its worth it. Waiting for the new shock from TB to see if its any better an option.
    sgtbilco likes this.

is restoring my original CT70 dax
    i use to race in the 70s

That thing sounds mean!

Its a Shift up Sparten head with the alloy shift up cam cage a friend of mine has a flow master flow bench so he fitted it up and did some extra porting work to up the CFM through the ports
    28mm OKO flat slide carby and a Takegawa intake manifold all port matched
    home made power bomb exhaust i did myself
    the shock is a Chinese one and i used a BBR XR100 spring and made up a top washer for it
    I weigh around 85kgs it rides quite good over the bumps

This user has no status.

Thanks for all the information everyone this is very helpful. I really want the Yosh 124cc stroker kit if I get a bonus this year at work I might have to do it otherwise I'm leaning towards the shift up parts.

sharky_nrk I didn't forget about you I'm working on a parts list I'll post by the end of week I need to go through my ebay and amazon history and find images of everything since I can't post hyperlinks to the forum I'm too new to the site.

updates soon!

This user has no status.

^^ great!!! Thanks a bunch.

is 10 year member still has no
    status

I recall reading Shift Up products are lower price point products made by Kitaco, but I could be completely wrong, and my old memory is lying to me again. If they are Kitaco, I would run away, Ive had nothing but bad experiences with Kitaco and XR100 motors.
    Ive not touched a Yoshimura kit, but I do have a Yoshimura 88 head/cylinder on one of my ZBs, and the machine work is an absolute work of art for production pieces.
    Id hold out for the Tak kit, as wear parts will be much more readily available when needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links