Conversion Bike Thread - Page 6

PlanetMinis Forums

Conversion Bike Thread

This is a discussion on Conversion Bike Thread within the Bigger Minis Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; in the group around here there are no horizontal 12/14. there are two groups around here, both have a 150 air cooled with 16/19 tires ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Conversion Bike Thread

This user has no status.

in the group around here there are no horizontal 12/14. there are two groups around here, both have a 150 air cooled with 16/19 tires as the limit so most are riding home built conversions or CRF150, TTR125 and KLX140. one group goes from teenagers to around my age and the other are mid twenty's to mid fifty's. during the summer there's a practice/race every Friday night at a local motorcycle club and then us older guys get together every Tuesday night to ride and sometimes there's another group that rides Thursday's. I've had more fun riding last year than I've had in a long time. one of the guys is supposed to be having a frozen balls ride early next month but I haven't heard the date yet. I'm ready to ride though.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman287 View Post
    I built my TTR/YZ conversion last year. I started on 10" bikes with a bunch of buddies in the mid-2000's, and the scene died out pretty well completely for a while a few years later. Most guys sold their bikes, but I held onto mine despite not riding it. Met a new group of guys, but they all were riding conversion bikes or XR100's, TTR's, and DRZ/KLX125's. I did one race with them, and quickly realized what a disadvantage I was at on such a small bike (mind you I'm 6'3" as well, and the soil is sandy. Keeping a 10" bike in a straight line at speed was nothing short of exhausting. Sold the 10" since I was the only guy I knew with one anymore, and bought the TTR and YZ. It doesn't hold a candle to the Kitaco kits a few buddies are running in their XR's, but it's still a blast.

Here's my build thread, where I tried to outline most of what I did, and reasons I did things I did as well:

TTR125/YZ85 Conversion Question

And a few pics:

Attachment 199201

Attachment 199209

Attachment 199217

Nice looking bike!!

is 10 year member still has no
    status

We also have a 150 aircooled run what ya brung series that goes before our big bike hare scrambles. Over the years the numbers have fluctuated but its still a viable class for the promoter.
    I feel like I ruined the class though by building a budgetless conversion XR/CR, with either a Kitaco, Tak, or Stormin motor. Seems I chased alot of guys away, as nowadays everybody wants a trophy no matter where they finished.
    TeamIdeal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

is loosing screws all the time...

I did something a bit different...

I have a few Chinese pitbikes and while the motors take all sorts of abuse, the chassis do not. So this was born out of just wanting a decent frame and suspension to hang a horizontal clone engine off of. The 1991 KX80 was purchased cheap as a roller and while it did have the stock size wheels, the rear hub was unusable. Ironically it was far cheaper to buy this set of "big wheels" than to find a replacement rear wheel so that's what I did. The current motor is an e-start manual clutch 110. The whole thing was basically an exercise to see how feasible it is to modify a mini to accept a horizontal clone motor. Now that it's in there, I can bolt in any clone engine and I have no doubt the bike could handle some serious power now since it has decent suspension and brakes.

It's not 100% finished yet. It needs a chain tensioner because ideal placement of the countershaft wasn't possible and I need to modify the shifter. Because of where the pegs are on a horizontal motor the shifter ended up in an awkward spot for the KX frame. I shortened the shifter but upshifting is a bit hard so I will make a rear extension to heal upshift. Going down is easy enough even with the short lever. I also have a headlight/taillight I want to wire in as it is now more of a trail bike.

I guess I built an old-school KLX110 the hard way. LOL.

Sean
    NHrider, Wandell and TeamIdeal like this.
    Sean Hidden Content

Nullus Verreor ex Terra Incognita

This user has no status.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	207953

2014 Kawasaki KLX140

I threw KX85 front forks off an 05', I also changed to the 2016 KX85 front fender and number plate. I think it looks much better then the 140 number plate and fender.

Have not done to much else, planning on a pipe and bars at some point and flipping the linkage.
    Gronk and Wandell like this.

This user has no status.

Nice! You definitely need to flip the linkage to raise the rear end to match your front.

is thinking of upgrading the '74
    XR75

I'm 50 and after building a couple XR75-based minis for my kids to race vintage motocross I kind of quit coming here. I will say I found a wealth of information in the PM forums that helped with both builds and hopefully I contributed some meaningful information. That being said, my boys have continued to grow. Last year I traded the '74 XR75 for a '74 Yamaha TY80 trials bike that my younger son rides and he races the '83 XR100 that was originally built for my oldest son. My oldest son raced a '77 CR125 Elsinore last year. That bike has been plagued with problems, the least of which is my boy just doesn't like 2-strokes. He is actually faster racing his '74 Honda TL125 trials bike on the track. So I'm looking at picking this up for my oldest son to race...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XYZ100.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	213490

It's a 1980 Yamaha YZ250 modified with a Honda XR100 engine. It was built by a friend of mine and actually won the 100cc Expert class in our vintage motocross series last year. The engine has been modified with a 120 BBK, Hotcams Stage 1 camshaft and XR200 carburetor. While technically not a mini, it is a full-sized bike powered with a bigger mini engine. The reason I'm going to buy this, as opposed to building one, is simply a price and availability issue.
    T Bolt USA likes this.

is I only do 2 things , Ride Dirt
    Bikes and Wanting to Ride Dirt
    bikes !!

^^^^^ Thats cool !!
    T Bolt USA - Let's go riding!

All the top Pit Bikes, Engines and Parts for Pit bikes & Minis! Let us know if we can help!

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - (704) T-BOLT-US - Skype: TBoltUSA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links