PlanetMinis Forums banner

Conversion Bike Thread

37K views 85 replies 33 participants last post by  runner88 
#1 ·
I would like to start this on the subject of any bigger mini you converted over, cr80/xr100 kx80/xr100, etc.... basically any creation you did post up pics and specs spo we can share and learn from each other. If you have any questions for me shoot away and id be glad to help

heres our first one, 97 big wheel cr with xr120

1987 kx 80 with stock xr100

2002 bbr bike with big wheel suspension powered by a donor ttr-125 bored to 150.

See less See more
#68 ·
did everybody die 2008?I have not found a post more recent than that..First I figured because I was not a member of this site,oops I was wrong still reading stuff from 9 yrs ago.I wasted agood part of time,,as u know is the most valueable comodity there is sighning up for this site,not to mention the personal info i had to give to get here. Is anyone still working on this stuff or is this BS. Even the good pics dont explain stuff..Have I got to go through probate period before yall let me in on 9 yrs of experiance (never said I could spell)? I can show u if u don't know!!! Wake up fabricators and machinest!!Backyard style is the best!!!Get off that couch!!

#69 ·
I hear you. I did my build last year and found a lot of useful info on here but not to many guys are still around from the heydays. Stormin Norman will still post as will Wandell but I guess when pitbikes took a big hit most guys lost interest. luckily for me there's still a solid group around where I live. in fact I just lent a friend my build for a week so he could copy stuff to build his. it would be cool to see this place come back to life.

#70 · (Edited)
I'm still going strong at 48. Years ago I bought a 150F so I could put the motor into the 150R I had sitting around. Had no intention of ever riding it as it was. I was about to head to the track one afternoon in 2010, and when I went to load up my Mod 110, it had a flat tire. I was about to grab my stocker, but I just put new grips on it, and the glue was still wet. I went over to the big 'Ol 150F that was innocently parked in the corner of the garage-- and said f*** it... might as well ride it since it was sitting around? It was hands down the funnest pit bike I ever rode-- including the KX65 I had! I was planning to build a 150F/R conversion, but I decided to save the time and trouble and just opted to run the 150F with tires, bars, and mild suspension mods. Been riding that bike ever since. That first 150F is my practice bike, and I've built a faster one since that I race. So- I've been riding and racing, just doing it on the cheap. --L*64

Attachments

#71 ·
Yeah, I know I wasn't very active here as my son grew into full size bikes. But when he lost interest in bikes, I got back into pitbikes since I still had a small backyard track. I'm 49 and love the added size of this KLX140L. I started a build thread on it in this section last year.

#72 ·
I built my TTR/YZ conversion last year. I started on 10" bikes with a bunch of buddies in the mid-2000's, and the scene died out pretty well completely for a while a few years later. Most guys sold their bikes, but I held onto mine despite not riding it. Met a new group of guys, but they all were riding conversion bikes or XR100's, TTR's, and DRZ/KLX125's. I did one race with them, and quickly realized what a disadvantage I was at on such a small bike (mind you I'm 6'3" as well, and the soil is sandy. Keeping a 10" bike in a straight line at speed was nothing short of exhausting. Sold the 10" since I was the only guy I knew with one anymore, and bought the TTR and YZ. It doesn't hold a candle to the Kitaco kits a few buddies are running in their XR's, but it's still a blast.

Here's my build thread, where I tried to outline most of what I did, and reasons I did things I did as well:

http://planetminis.com/forums/bigger-minis-forum/212930-ttr125-yz85-conversion-question.html

And a few pics:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motocross Motorsport

Vehicle Supermoto Motorsport Motorcycle racing Racing

Vehicle Motocross Supermoto Motorcycle Racing

Reactions: Wandell
#77 ·
I built my TTR/YZ conversion last year. I started on 10" bikes with a bunch of buddies in the mid-2000's, and the scene died out pretty well completely for a while a few years later. Most guys sold their bikes, but I held onto mine despite not riding it. Met a new group of guys, but they all were riding conversion bikes or XR100's, TTR's, and DRZ/KLX125's. I did one race with them, and quickly realized what a disadvantage I was at on such a small bike (mind you I'm 6'3" as well, and the soil is sandy. Keeping a 10" bike in a straight line at speed was nothing short of exhausting. Sold the 10" since I was the only guy I knew with one anymore, and bought the TTR and YZ. It doesn't hold a candle to the Kitaco kits a few buddies are running in their XR's, but it's still a blast.

Here's my build thread, where I tried to outline most of what I did, and reasons I did things I did as well:

http://planetminis.com/forums/bigger-minis-forum/212930-ttr125-yz85-conversion-question.html

And a few pics:

View attachment 199201

View attachment 199209

View attachment 199217

Nice looking bike!!

#75 ·
Looks like the thread is ALIVE again! Hahaha! I have some opinions, and I'm from NE Ohio. That means your experience may vary depending on where your from.

About the PM experience. Lot of good info here, but it's set up for 2004 still. I've talked about it before-- but I think the actual forums need to be streamlined, and quite a few combined.

About conversions? In my region-- stockers (cheap) are on top of the scene. I'm talking about horizontal 12/14 inch wheeled bikes. Not alot of Mods at the races anymore other than Pirhana's around here. Quite a few guys show up at my local track with bigger trail bikes like my 150F, but they're kinda following suit. They may do fork/shock springs, a big bore and a pipe, bars, etc.... but I haven't seen a conversion or a BBR bike in years. With the KLX140 out, a total conversion isn't really necessary anymore. I'm satisfied with how well my 150's work for the money spent. --L*64

#76 ·
in the group around here there are no horizontal 12/14. there are two groups around here, both have a 150 air cooled with 16/19 tires as the limit so most are riding home built conversions or CRF150, TTR125 and KLX140. one group goes from teenagers to around my age and the other are mid twenty's to mid fifty's. during the summer there's a practice/race every Friday night at a local motorcycle club and then us older guys get together every Tuesday night to ride and sometimes there's another group that rides Thursday's. I've had more fun riding last year than I've had in a long time. one of the guys is supposed to be having a frozen balls ride early next month but I haven't heard the date yet. I'm ready to ride though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.