PlanetMinis Forums banner

jetting woes.........shengway and yx 90cc

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  deputyperk 
#1 ·
ok so heres what i got, its a crf50 that i put in a 90cc yx motor, before this motor i had a 88cc TB race head kit. i am using that shengway that came with the kit, now that carb ran some what decent on that kit so i know the jetting for the 88 motor was ok, it was running the stock crf50 exhaust as well. well i had a few hours free so i installed the yx90cc motor in the 50 with a new fmf power core 4 exhaust (28mm it looks like)and through the 20mm shengway back on without changing any settings, at first the motor fired up and idled decently and reved freely, after letting it idle for about 1 minute, maybe 2, it died, and would not really kick back over. so i put the choke on full, and gave it 1/4 throttle while kicking it and this would get it started back up, but would then die out if i let off the throttle one bit. if it did die out it would take another 4 or 5 kicks with 1/4 throttle and choke on full to get her going again but as soon as i would let off, she would sputter and die.

now i am no certified genius but to me i think that it sounds lean on pilot and main. i didnt have time to pull off the carb bowl to see what jets are installed and i know i should have but does anyone have a base line or idea what jets i should be running. i tired to google search it and i found a guy whos story is simillar to mine only he had a lifan 90cc motor and same shenway carb and similar exhaust and he was running a 95 main and 38 pilot.

i am at sea level nearly, maybe 50 feet above, i am running a 20mm shengway (the one that comes with the tb88 RH kit), i am running a fmf power core 4 exhaust, and i am using a yx90cc motor with e22 head. bike now only starts with choke on full, but still dies out...

since the carb was dialed in decently with the 88 kit with stock crf 50 exhaust, it makes me thing it had the recomended jetting from TB. i figured the yx 90 wouldnt be too far off from jetting. i guess i was wrong, way wrong.

if anyone else has a similar china 90cc motor, what carb and or jets are you running?

See less See more
#3 ·
valves are still within spec. pretty sure the carb is clean but ill def check that agin when i get a chance. any recomendations on the jetting though? being that i wont even kick over without the choke being on, i am thinking its extremely lean......

one thread i found a guy says a 38 pilot, i think tb recomends like a 15 or 17 with there 88 kit

#7 ·
do a plug reading first and that will tell u if ur lean or rich but it sounds like pilot circuit problem clean carb then warm bike up go back to house put a new plug in it and take it down the road in fourth or third gear wound out but not on limiter and pull in clutch and hit kill switch then walk it back to the house with it still off and let it cool a little and get a plug reading that will tell u the best of how bad its off

#16 ·
If the engine bogs or dies when you hit the throttle from idle

its lean pilot condition.

We get tech calls about that all the time.

1)Install Intake manifold to head and carb, oil gaskets and tighten bolts lightly at first then torque then down gradually in a cross pattern to provide a good seal and avoid air leaks.

2)Make sure the carb is 100% clean, free of debris and you can see light thru both main and pilot jets

3)Double check you valve tappet adjustment .003intake and .004exh.

4)Make sure all electrical connections are tight and you have a good ground from the engine to the frame.

5)Check for good fuel flow and fresh fuel.

6)See our jetting guide and do a plug read.

TBolt USA, LLC

#17 ·
this is getting a bit off topic i think, i checked valves, just checked carb, and everything is ok, this is def a jetting issue. i am more looking for someone with a 90 or 110cc china motor with this shengway carb to help gove me a baseline to start off with.

i think it maybe easier to call up piranha tommarow or maybe pitster and see what jets they use in there carbs they supply and or even buy a carb from one of them thats ready to go for this motor.

#18 ·
deputyperk said:
this is getting a bit off topic i think, i checked valves, just checked carb, and everything is ok, this is def a jetting issue. i am more looking for someone with a 90 or 110cc china motor with this shengway carb to help gove me a baseline to start off with.

i think it maybe easier to call up piranha tommarow or maybe pitster and see what jets they use in there carbs they supply and or even buy a carb from one of them thats ready to go for this motor.

If its this bad its not a jetting issue. It will still run with the carb even though its set to the 88.

Are you sure your doing the valves correctly? Or did you make sure that the jets are spotless and clean them out with needles?

Its not jetting. possibly a bad ground like Tbolt said. Maybe a loose wire? check everything again.

it will run the way the carb is jetted

#19 ·
fiddy4ever said:
if its this bad its not a jetting issue. It will still run with the carb even though its set to the 88.

Are you sure your doing the valves correctly? Or did you make sure that the jets are spotless and clean them out with needles?

Its not jetting. Possibly a bad ground like tbolt said. Maybe a loose wire? Check everything again.

It will run the way the carb is jetted

thank you !!!!!

#21 ·
just a thought, the harness that i used had one or 2 extra yellow wires for lighting. if those 2 touch eachother could that cause an issue like this? when i loomed the harness they could be touching, and second, i am thinking it could be a pilot issue now since the bike will only kick over when the choke is on full, maybe somthing in the pilot circuit could be clogged like you guys mentioned. ill try cleaning the carb better, a local shop has some jets so ill be getting those soon too.

#22 ·
yes thouse two wires touching can cause some problems even fry your stator also a bad ground can cause all sorts of issues it'll still start but not run for poop or pop and carry on due to itermittent spark i have a stock carb off a yx 90 i can check jet sizes 4 u if u like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.