PlanetMinis Forums

Baja 90 no spark

This is a discussion on Baja 90 no spark within the Chinese/Import Minis - General Discussion forums, part of the General Talk category; Have a Baja 90, actually a 4 wheeler, but same thing engine wise, it is an E start for what that's worth. It sort of ...

is finished second in the
    championship, woo hoo!

Baja 90 no spark

Have a Baja 90, actually a 4 wheeler, but same thing engine wise, it is an E start for what that's worth. It sort of HAD spark when I got it, thing has been in a fire and had stuff semi melted. I checked out all the harness and the wiring is all good there, actually the harness didnt see fire. Tried a new 5 pin CDI, new coil, ground on coil is good, removed kill switch. Last thing to check is the pickup, how can I check that, can I pass it over the rotor magnet and see an output on a multimeter somehow? Anything else I might have missed maybe? Don't have a spare to try. Thanks.

This user has no status.

Re: Baja 90 no spark

what place deals bajas down south? canadian tire up here carries the whole line basically, so if you do find a dealer, you could get over priced chinese parts if nothing else. Hope that helps a little bit

Super Moderator
    is Grateful...

Supporting Member

For the price, you just might want to try HERE or HERE, depending on the style stator you have. The Company is located in Illinois.
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

I have a BAJA 90 in my shed.. What do you need exactly? My engine was locked upon it. They had 2 different wiring setups.. One was for the manual trans and one for the automatic. I had 4 of these last year. Sold all but the one with the locked up engine.

Make sure your ignition switch is hooked up properly. One of mine were missing the switch and you have to connect them the right way for it to start. Also don't forget about the rear kill switch on the frame.. it will not start if someone pulled the pin out.

These harnesses are made like crap with very bad splices in them.. Check your grounds and powers with a multimeter.

championship, woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by 86trizinger
    I have a BAJA 90 in my shed.. What do you need exactly? My engine was locked upon it. They had 2 different wiring setups.. One was for the manual trans and one for the automatic. I had 4 of these last year. Sold all but the one with the locked up engine.

Make sure your ignition switch is hooked up properly. One of mine were missing the switch and you have to connect them the right way for it to start. Also don't forget about the rear kill switch on the frame.. it will not start if someone pulled the pin out.

These harnesses are made like crap with very bad splices in them.. Check your grounds and powers with a multimeter.

Rear kill switch? I think I might have had that, when the fire started someone tore ALL the bodywork off in a hurry, and that meant ALL body connected switches etc were torn off as well. A real POS if you can imagine, I have way too much money into it by now, stupid me. I will try connecting those wires together, if that's what they were.

Pep Boys here were the dealers, but carry no parts for them, for OEM stuff you have to go to Baja themselves and they are proud of their prices. They wanted $450 for the two bodywork parts, whole bike was maybe $600 new.

championship, woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbkr188
    For the price, you just might want to try HERE or HERE, depending on the style stator you have. The Company is located in Illinois.

Those guys are good for parts for this thing I agree, could have just about bought a whole new one now for the money I sent them!

This user has no status.

Tell me if you still need anything. I have alot of parts left.

I'll try and find the wiring diagram I had for the switch.

championship, woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by 86trizinger
    Tell me if you still need anything. I have alot of parts left.

I'll try and find the wiring diagram I had for the switch.

Hmm, maybe front bumper with headlights? How about footrest rubbers, or what does it have for footrests? A taillight?

This user has no status.

Sorry I don't have a front bumper.. Maybe the headlights still though. I have to check.

I have a brand new tail light. I mounted it up but was afraid my son was going to break it in the first 5 minutes of riding.

I need to check the foot pegs out though. Not sure what it has anymore. It is buried in the shed.

Did you get the spark issue figured out yet?

championship, woo hoo!

It had what I think was the wire going to the rear kill switch, and the wires were tied together, so I just pulled the plug out and tried it, no spark yet. Wiring is something else, just trying to get the basics working, engine running with the starter and kill switch working. I put a new handlebar switch on the left side because the old one was melted a bit.

Guessing the headlights arent much good to me if I only have half a front bumper, bummer. No front lights, no need for a tailight then either. Footpegs and the things in front of them (mudguards?) would be good though.

This user has no status.

Did you get the key switch wired up? Also I think it will not start if brake lever isn't depressed. You can by pass that as well.

championship, woo hoo!

Key switch is wired yes, but didn't know about the brake lever switch, will have to look for that, jeeze!

championship, woo hoo!

Didn't find a brake switch lever. Got the POS running finally, the last problem was that the pins in the CDI did not contact the female pins in the plug. The plug pins have a thick opening that the male pins on the CDI box don't touch very well, I tried twisting all the pins originally but nothing, finally bent them all one way and had to struggle to get the plug in, but it worked. Yay.

Ads