First impressions of pitsterpro fat bike 155

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on First impressions of pitsterpro fat bike 155 within the Chinese/Import Minis - General Discussion forums, part of the General Talk category; Good day fellas, I have been lurking here for awhile learning what I could before diving into the mini scene. Just a little back ground ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By AK mini rider
  • 1 Post By SS LS1
  • 1 Post By AK mini rider

Thread: First impressions of pitsterpro fat bike 155

This user has no status.

Good day fellas,
    I have been lurking here for awhile learning what I could before diving into the mini scene.
    Just a little back ground to make it easier for you to understand where my opinion comes from. I ended up buying a SSR SR125 first for my kids. I naturally had to try it never having been a dirt bike rider. Amazing experience. So much fun I started shopping for one for myself. I found the 125 would get stuck frequently with me on it in softer gravel and sand which is common where we like to ride. So I asked around and most said get a bigger bike. Didn't interest me at all.
    I then found a Pitsterpro Fat Tire 155 locally on sale and said why not. Maybe the fatter tires will support me better in the soft stuff, and still about the same size to ride with the kids. I was worrried a big bike would make it no fun to ride with them. Wow! What a difference. Handeled the soft sand and gravel like a champ. That thing rips! I did find the front forks were soft and would bottom out occasionally on seemingly small bumps the SR125 did just fine with. So I bought some 15w fork fluid and measured 125cc coming out. Put 175cc in and what an amazing difference. Keep in mind I am a novice rider to bikes. But have lots of experience riding Snowmobiles and quads. I am also no small rider at 225lbs. The rear suspension is quite springy. It bounces pretty bad. I'll have to order a better shock soon. But that is after a fix a more annoying issue. The carb sucks, the bike came with a jet kit. No wonder, I bet the dealer couldn't get it to run well either. I spent 3 hours one day trying different jets and clip positions and air screw adjustment and never could get rid of a mid range bog. But once past that it was awesome. I now have a mikuni vm26 on order, I give up wasting anymore time on it.
    Bottom line. If your a bigger guy needing a little more support on soft stuff, don't be shy. The traditional mini is a blast on hard trails for me. But this fat bike is just more fun. The larger tires and vibration dampening handle bars make a far more enjoyable trail ride filled with roots and other bumps as well. When we went through muddy areas the SR125 would get squirrelly. But not the fat bike, I would easily fly right through it.
    T Bolt USA and Quinc like this.

is I only do 2 things , Ride Dirt
    Bikes and Wanting to Ride Dirt
    bikes !!

sweet !!
    thanks for sharing
    T Bolt USA - Let's go riding!

All the top Pit Bikes, Engines and Parts for Pit bikes & Minis! Let us know if we can help!

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - (704) T-BOLT-US - Skype: TBoltUSA

This user has no status.

Finally someone out there riding one of these! Been wondering a long time just how well these little bikes get around with a big guy on them. I like the old Yamaha BW80 but know is just too small for a big guy like myself.

Junk carb issues aside, how does the power feel on the fat bike? Do the heavy tires zap the 155 power or is it still quite snappy? Does it wheelie easily in 1st through 3rd gears? Or is a V2 head horsepower upgrade going to be needed to excite adult riders? Would it be sand dune rideable with some better tires with the stock power?

Keep us updated on how it rides on your second, third etc rides, especially with the Mikuni carb dialed in. I have been eyeballing one of these to convert into a suspended ATC 70 one day.
    Quinc likes this.
    1985 ATC 350X all original/OEM Honda parts
    1972 US90 Dickson Designs 2" stretched tube chassis, 200x Forks, Piranha 150cc, VM26
    1985 ATC70 Piranha 114cc BBK, Ported Race Head, TB300 Cam, Spangler's Exhaust
    1985 ATC70 Piranha 150cc, VM26, Z40 cam, Ported head, Two Brothers Exhaust, 2" stretch

1970 Honda CT70125cc Mikuni 24, XR80 Forks, Aluminum Swingarm, Carbon Exhaust
    1972 Honda CT70110cc e-start, Mikuni 20 carb, Carbon Exhaust, Aluminum Wheels
    1993 Honda Z50R
    2001 Honda XR70R
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Pics? How big are the wheels?
    SR160-TX (sold)
    P190R
    TTR125LEL
    CB400F (75)

This user has no status.

Keep in mind I am new to minis, and only have the SR125 to compare it to. To my limited experience it has plenty of power. It will pull on the SR125 in every gear and is easily better then 5 mph faster. Even when the 125 had a rider 50 lbs less then me. It would pull me up most dunes in second if I couldn't keep it rapped out. But if I even let off a little that midrange bog would eat my lunch. The next day I used it the sand was mostly firmed up due to our winter arriving. Was pretty sweet to do up hill power slides though. I never did try to wheelie it due to the bog making that sort of riding near impossible.

Any idea of roughly how much power a V2 head adds? Talking to TBolt the vm26 is supposed to add some as well though I have no idea how much. Hopefully it'll be hear soon before our snow arrives.

This user has no status.

The tires are roughly 19"x6" for the front and 17"x6.5" for the rear tire. Wheels are a 10" front and 8" rear

This user has no status.

Got the VM 26 on there. All I can say is wow. Haven't even fine tuned the carb yet. Just the air screw. What an amazing difference. It is a crime it doesn't come with this carb. Good thing it is so easy to do. It will wheelie all the way through 3rd now. Is a blast to bomb down the trial and hit every bump and jump you want. Usually starts first or second kick as well.
    Quinc likes this.

This user has no status.

What brand and size are the tires? They look like Carlisle Snow Hog tires.

This user has no status.

The tires are Carlyle. 19x6x10 & 18x6.5x8.

I did get the bike back to the sand today. Wow. Still super impressed with the bike now with the VM26 carb. Did a lot better holding 2nd gear in the soft stuff. Though still struggled to maintain speed uphill with my 225 pounds. For a lighter rider I believe no further changes would be needed. I am gonna look into a larger rear sprocket or smaller front to try be able to hold that second gear a little better. I am also looking into getting a studded set for winter use. Though could use a few ideas of a good setup.

This user has no status.

ok Ive been looking at these bikes too. I have a BW80 with a 125 with a TB146 kit and man it runs good with a 300# rider. Did you buy your from pitsterpro? They dont have a bad price from pitsterpro new. One thing i would like to know is how do they adjust the primary chain ? I have BW's and i know how much a pain the primary chain adjustment can be.

This user has no status.

Big Specht,
    I did not get it from them, I got it locally.
    As far as tightening the chain goes, it has 2. A short one i think It was 29 links in the normal place of the engine to the pivot point of the swing arm. There it turns a sprocket on a shaft that spins another sprocket of the same size. This short chain is not adjustable. The second chain is longer at 85 links. Though much shorter then a typical minis chain, it tightens the same as a typical mini by loosening the axle and using side adjusters. Though contrary to all the publications on the bike, it uses 428 chain not 420.

This user has no status.

That sucks on the primary chain adjustment. I called two differant dealers and know body knew how to adjust the primary chain. The way it looks those bikes are not worth the 1600 they want for them

is building '72 z50

Anymore updates? Did you get the rear suspension figured out?

Sponsored Links