Daytona 150 Issues

PlanetMinis Forums

Daytona 150 Issues

This is a discussion on Daytona 150 Issues within the CRF50 forums, part of the General Talk category; I'm having a few problems with the Daytona that's in my MM12P. First off, it has the stroker crank, upgraded cam, and head port job. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Daytona 150 Issues

I'm having a few problems with the Daytona that's in my MM12P. First off, it has the stroker crank, upgraded cam, and head port job. I love the power but I'm having some bottom end problems. It mis-shifts a lot, especially going into 3rd and 4th. Basically it's getting stuck in-between gears, and finding neutral is a chore, even though it's at the bottom. The clutch is also slipping. I've already torn the motor down once to fix some messed up washers in the tranny. I'm 100% sure everything is together correctly. I inspected the shift drum, forks, and all of the gears/shafts in the tranny. They all look fine.

I'm running Rotella T oil, which I run in all my bikes from stock 50's to CRF250's. I've never had any problems with it.

When I had it apart, I checked out the plates and springs and they measured out fine. I'm not hard at all on my clutches.

So have any of you Daytona 150 owners experienced these problems?

This user has no status.

Re: Daytona 150 Issues

I haven't had any problems at all, proberly best to contact BBR, l know in the bbr mm12p video they said not to over use the clutch..

This user has no status.

Basically, if some of you guys could tell me what oil you're running, that'd be great. I've talked to BBR and they said that a lot of the shifting issues come from running dirty or the wrong oil. I think my shift drum or forks are damaged, causing the mis-shifting. I'm just going to pick up a new motor and use the other one for parts. So have any recommendations for oil? I always use Rotella, anyone have any problems with it in a Daytona?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

is working to much to ride.

Buddy that has a Daytona engine is running Bel-Ray EXS Full Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil 10w-50, he abuses everything he owns. Had his motor a little over a year and hasn't torn anything up yet.

This user has no status.

This motor has pretty high hours on it anyways, so I'll just pick up a new one. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Banned
    This user has no status.

FWIW, a trans is $75, and drum with forks $50.

This user has no status.

I'll also need some clutch parts too. I noticed that the countershaft bearing is a pretty loose fit in the case also. I think it's just best to pick up a new motor and I'll have zero issues.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Probably a safe bet. Your used (up?) one may still have some trade-in value.

This user has no status.

ive had that misshift problem alot and i can almost guerentee its your clutch, every motor ive fixed with that problem had a loose clutch. when the clutch doesnt dissengage fully it wont let the tranny shift. throw your new clutch in there make sure it is working 100% and is adjusted right.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by firepower354
    Probably a safe bet. Your used (up?) one may still have some trade-in value.

I'll be keeping it for parts, and it has a stroker and the upgraded cam in it. I'm prone to breaking a lot of stuff anyways.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by baconaddict
    ive had that misshift problem alot and i can almost guerentee its your clutch, every motor ive fixed with that problem had a loose clutch. when the clutch doesnt dissengage fully it wont let the tranny shift. throw your new clutch in there make sure it is working 100% and is adjusted right.

The thing is, I screwed up the tranny by installing the washer behind the clutch wrong (didn't turn it in the groove, so when I tightened the clutch nut down it pulled up on the main shaft). I thought I fixed it by replacing the bent washers and clips, but apparently there's still something going on in there. All the clutch components measured out fine, and it was adjusted correctly.

At least I learned something by not turning the washer, won't do that again.

This user has no status.

Thanks for the help guys. BBR recommends Motul 5100 10W-40 oil for this motor. I'll give that a try with the new motor.

When I tear the old motor down I'll see if I can pinpoint the problem, could very well be the clutch though like baconaddict said.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by honda_xrs85
    The thing is, I screwed up the tranny by installing the washer behind the clutch wrong (didn't turn it in the groove, so when I tightened the clutch nut down it pulled up on the main shaft). I thought I fixed it by replacing the bent washers and clips, but apparently there's still something going on in there. All the clutch components measured out fine, and it was adjusted correctly.

At least I learned something by not turning the washer, won't do that again.

May well have pulled the mainshaft far enough to tweak a fork. That's my guess.

This user has no status.

That's a possibility. When I tore it down to replace the washer and clip, I guess I got a little excited and forgot the inspect the fork. I'll post up in a few weeks when I tear the motor down (again!).

This user has no status.

i had the same problem with the daytona 115 motor. mis-shifts and clutch slipage. i sent it to red baron twice and it still does it. i had to give it to my brother for his ct70 build before it killed me. should get by fine on the street. but i did ride a 150 recently and it had the same mis-shift issues. not nearly as bad but enough to keep you on your toes. i'll check back to see if you figure it out cuz it would be nice to fix mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links