PlanetMinis Forums

Spark plug thread repair

This is a discussion on Spark plug thread repair within the CRF50 forums, part of the General Talk category; So a friend gave me a lifan 125 for free he said it wouldn't shift and spark hole is stripped so I got it to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Spark plug thread repair

So a friend gave me a lifan 125 for free he said it wouldn't shift and spark hole is stripped so I got it to shift again but when I tried to start it the plug shot out like a rocket I had retapped it but no luck

My question is what the best way to fix this I cant find sav a thread in the right size only 14 even online

is dab'd out

just replace the head.

is wanting DAX!

You can drill the hole bigger and then thread it and put a copper bushing in it where You screw the spark plug. Hope You understand what i mean.
    HONDA Z50j 1992
    HONDA ATC70 1982
    HONDA Super Cub C50 2002

is Your Ford is better? My Honda
    pulls 10's and still gets 30
    MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by silvjorr View Post
    You can drill the hole bigger and then thread it and put a copper bushing in it where You screw the spark plug. Hope You understand what i mean.
    Thats called a helicoil.
    If a mini is considered an iron pony, and an pony is relatively half the size of a horse. Does that mean it only has .5 Horsepower?

Supporting Member
    is needing funding for parts...
    and whiskey.

Helicoils have an end on them which would block the spark plug anode from going in. What Silvjorr means is a copper tube with thread on the inside and out. That way you can thread the spark plug in and then with the copper tube around it thread it into the rethreaded head. As copper heats up quicker and expands more than steel it will create a seal to hold the pressure.
    1969 Honda Z50A K1, Restoration project begun 06.March.2012 Rebuilt 24.March.2012 Improvements Ongoing
    Z50A Replica Cafe Racer
    , Planning begun 10.April.2012 Building Began 01.May.2012 Powder Coat and fine tuning to go.
    Jincheng JC150Y, Revival attempt begun 1.September.2012 Got Bored, Given Up For Now.
    Deckson Daredevil, Partial restoration begun 3.January.2013

This user has no status.

Great thanks for the help That's why I didn't use helicoil but I like the copper bushing Idea I'll try it out thanks

is Yerp a derp

Take the head off the engine and fix it with a helicoil or Timesert.

is wanting DAX!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    Helicoils have an end on them which would block the spark plug anode from going in. What Silvjorr means is a copper tube with thread on the inside and out. That way you can thread the spark plug in and then with the copper tube around it thread it into the rethreaded head. As copper heats up quicker and expands more than steel it will create a seal to hold the pressure.
    Thanks! Thats excactly what i wanted to say, but my English is not so great that i can allways express myself correctly
    Last edited by silvjorr; 06-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.

is Powder Coat in the air
    =headache in the brain

Its called a timesert and its not copper, its steel. its a Bushing that is installed to the hole once you drill it out to the correct size. Timsert bushing come in quite a few different lengths so make sure you measure the correct length you need because they cannot be cut down to size. That is hands down the best solution to your problem. A timesert kit will cost you ~$80 depending on who you get it from. Once you install a timesert you will never have an issue with those threads again.

This user has no status.

^ Agree. Prefer timeserts over helicoils, although there is much debate over which is more reliable. The timesert kits certainly seem to be higher quality but you'll pay $30-$40 more for it.

is going hard

When you got the heliicoil in the head you knock the "stop" off. Its only used to screw the helicoil in.,

is twist the wrist too feel the
    bliss

if you have no interest in keep that head for a long time slap some jb weld on the plug and screw her in lol( seen it done to fix a chinese head with same problem kept the plug in it for a year and just replaced the motor after the bottom end grenaded lol)

Super Moderator
    is Grateful...

Supporting Member

If the standard plug thread size is 10 x 1.0 (CR7HSA), drill it out and retap to a 12 x 1.0 (D8HA).
    Last edited by dirtbkr188; 07-02-2012 at 08:52 AM.

is Happy and Vertical

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
    If the standard plug thread size is 10 x 1.0 (CR7HSA), drill it out and retap to a 12 x 1.0 (D8HA).

This will defenitly work?

This user has no status.

Yea I have used helicoils in all my heads and just knock the end off for the plug to thread in. I helicoil them from the start. Nothing like beeing at the track or the night before you go change a plug and strip the head.. Got them in my +R head and my V2 head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads