PlanetMinis Forums banner

bbr handlebar kit install problem

9K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  dirtbkr188 
#1 ·
just purchased bbr handle kit... bars, mount, extended cables ect... having problems with the throttle cable fitting correctly. Bike is completely stock and is band new. I have it installed in the throttle tube assembly correctly paying attention to plastic slide guide. It's almost like the throttle cable is to short. It does not fit into the carb slide correctly. Anyone ever have this problem or any ideas how to fix this....

#4 ·
I have all the adjustment screws on the throttle cable adjusted all the way in. I can get the throttle cable on the throttle tube and carb slide but just barely. When I roll the throttle I don't have that much movement and is tight. Tied to start the bike and it idles very high. double checked everything and carb slide is installed correctly in carb. Prb going to try to give bbr a call Monday morning.....

#5 ·
Keep in mind that some aftermarket throttles have a very short range of movement (can't recall what that is called). I recently installed a Protaper kit and the amount of throttle movement on the Protaper throttle is only about 1/3 of the stock.

With that said, there should be an adjustment nut on the cable somewhere. The nut is used to adjust the cable length of the cable housing. In your case check to make sure the part the bolt screws down in is screwed all the way down. This should shorten the cable sheath length. Hope that makes sense.

#9 ·
Using bbr throttle cable and carb cap that came with the kit. I see the picture and I have the throttle cable adjusted all the way in. Still doesn't fit right. I also installed the throttle cable in the carb and not hooking up the throttle tube and started the bike. The engine will idle basically normal just a little low. I figured low because I don't have any tension on the throttle cable. I just don't get why the cable is so short. The part number on the cable is 510-hxr-5102

#14 ·
You're aware that the beveled bottom edge of the throttle slide goes toward the back of the carb, towards the airbox end, right? Also keep in mind that the stock throttle slide is only 1-1/8" tall, and it doesn't take much to open it up to WFO.
It looks as though you have everything assembled correctly, after you reinstall the slide into the carb throat, take a picture from the back of the carb, to see if the slide is going all the way down and bottoming out in the carb.

#15 ·
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Metal

Pink Auto part Tire Fuel line

pretty sure that's how it goes. I have the throttle cable routed left side of frame goes through factory holder and up through triple clamp. when I turn the bars side to side the rpm goes up higher. I don't have any more adjustment on throttle cable at throttle tube already maxed all the way in. (Pic a couple post above)

#16 ·
The cable is binding on the steering stem part of the frame, re-route the cable along the right side of the frame under the tank and see if that helps. Also, is the cable end in the recess of the throttle slide? Usually there is small recess where the actual cable end can seat in place.

#18 ·
On the bottom of the slide where the needle sticks out, there is usually a small recess where the cable end seats in place. I can get a pic of a slide I have here for you tomorrow, if need be.
Also, if push comes to shove, you can always cut a 1/4" off the end of the hard outer cable where it goes into the carb cap.

#19 ·
Ok called BBR today talked to Larry in tech support and explained my problem. He said BBR is aware of the throttle cables being 1\4-1\2 inch short from their supplier. He instructed me removed adjustment nut on carb cap. He also said he's going to try to get me a correct length throttle cable and ship it to me. I removed the adjustment per Larry's instructions. Bike idles a lot better. I don't think I'm going to get a chance to give it a test drive because of the rain. Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.