My father/son project 50

PlanetMinis Forums

My father/son project 50

This is a discussion on My father/son project 50 within the CRF50 forums, part of the General Talk category; My son is 12 and loves to ride. He rides his lightly upgraded stock 50 almost daily and to my surprise I discovered that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My father/son project 50

This user has no status.

My father/son project 50

My son is 12 and loves to ride. He rides his lightly upgraded stock 50 almost daily and to my surprise I discovered that I enjoy working on these little Honda's so I figured a project would give us some quality time together as well as teach him a little about working on bikes.

The idea 1st came to me when we spotted a listing for a 2005 rolling chassis that we grabbed for a great price.

A month later we found a well used Z50 motor locally.

The engine wires had been cut short at some point in it's life and one of the exhaust manifold bolts was broken off.

From there we started planning and ordering parts.

Here are the parts list we have assembled at this point:
    -TB reproduction Stator
    -TB big bore 88 kit with Race Head (no need to worry about the broken exhaust header bolt anymore)
    -TB HD clutch
    -Two Brothers Racing stainless steel exhaust
    -Fast50's bars
    -Fast50's billet bar clamp and throttle
    -Fast50's rear hand brake kit
    -Fast50's extended fork tubes and HD springs
    -FastAce BDA01 rear shock
    -All Balls swingarm and wheel bearings
    -RK Racing Gold Chain
    -ProTaper Pillowtop Grips
    -Zeta red stem nut
    -eBay red skidplate and chain guide
    -Pro Wheel 10" rims with HD spokes
    -Sunstar 15T countersprocket
    -Stunt50 34T rear sprocket
    -Stunt50 sprocket guard
    -IRC MB38 80/90-10 tires
    -red billet pegs
    -and butt load of replacement OEM hardware and parts

We will probably top it off with either a BBR or TBR tall seat.

Here is a photo of the test fitting we did to make sure the motor we were planning build was in good running order.

The next day we broke the bike down completely including removing the spokes from the hubs then labeled, bagged, and boxed everything up.

Unfortunately, I didn't photograph many of these steps as I wasn't planned to start this thread until the other day.

This past weekend we started on the engine.

Today I dropped off some parts to be power coated. Should have photos to share in a week.

I will try to be more diligent with taking photos as the project progresses.

If you spot any problems with our parts list or have suggestions, please feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by jamesfl; 04-04-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    kirrbby and JESSBENS like this.

This user has no status.

Started assembling the top end this weekend and would have probably finished but as some of you know, we discovered we need a different cam sprocket to fit the TB Race Cam.

Here is how she sits as we wait for parts. Again.

Hopefully the powder coater will be done with our parts this week.
    Jarret53 likes this.

This user has no status.

Did you drill the oil passage on the case to 2mm?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

My father/son project 50

I did and also installed the high volume oil pump.

This user has no status.

My father/son project 50

Project stalled for a week as I had to get a newer style cam sprocket and deal with a broken bolt in the case.

New sprocket and replacement bolt are now in hand so we can resume work.

Power Coater is running behind schedule also, so no photos of the frame to post yet either.

This user has no status.

Called the power coater today to check the status of my parts. The owner was out, but I was told my parts were ready for pick. My excitement quickly turned to disappointment when I arrived. I had specifically asked them not to power coat specific areas and even offered to tape them off or mark the spots for them. I was told it was not needed as they power coat motorcycles all the time and knew what needed to be taped off.

They had power coated basically everything I had asked them to tape off. I left upset and without my parts and said I would call the owner Monday morning.

The parts that were power coated that I had asked them not too were the steering stem, the upper and lower steering races, both swing arm bearing/brushing holes, the bearing holes for both wheels, and the inside of the brake drums.

I am not sure what to do now, but I am definitely not happy right now.

is Leaning heavily towards
    unloading some minis.

That sucks they did all those parts wrong. If you end up stuck with em that way. Air craft stripper will take that powder off. But wear some gloves it's pretty gnarly stuff and will burn like a mofo if u get it on ur skin. It rinses off with water and is neutralized with water.

This user has no status.

My father/son project 50

Thanks elixur. Hopefully I won't have to resort to chemically stripping the parts myself. Really bummed and pissed they screwed up so many things so badly. I chose the shop as they had more positive reviews online then any other shop in my area.

I am actually worried the hubs may be a safety issue now since they coated the surface the pads contact.

This user has no status.

Their mistakes do not get much bigger than that. When you talk to the owner, he had better be tripping over himself apologizing...doing everything he can to make it right. Stupid, stupid mistakes. I'd be pissed!
    allenp42 likes this.

This user has no status.

I was so upset last night I didn't sleep well at all. I am hopeful he can fix what they have done and that I don't have to buy a ton of replacement parts.

This user has no status.

Spoke with the company this morning. The owner was still out but I was told they would have the powder coater remove the powder from the areas that should not have been sprayed. As of this afternoon, they said only the steering stem was left to be cleaned and that everything would be done and I could pick up the parts tomorrow.

I am almost afraid to go pick them up tomorrow after such a huge letdown. Hope they did a good job fixing the mistakes and didn't make things worse.

This user has no status.

My father/son project 50

Picked up most of my parts today and was pleasantly surprised. They had done a good job removing the excess powder. They said that they wanted to redo the forks assembly as the finish on part one of the tubes got damaged while removing the power from the steering stem so the fork assembly wont be ready for another a day or two. I also noticed when I got home that they coated the throttle bar clamps and rear brake bar clamps together so I will have to bring those back also to buy cut apart or redone.

Here are the pics.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by jamesfl; 04-25-2017 at 07:47 PM.

This user has no status.

I'm a "recovering purist", fan of vintage Mini Trails, and I'm not particularly a fan of powdercoat. But it certainly sounds, and looks, like they have made it right for you. Those parts look really good to me. You're back on track....Nice, nice! Rock on sir.

This user has no status.

Finally had some time to start building the wheels. Had to re-drill the hubs due to the powder coating. The Pro-Wheel spokes are slightly longer then the stock spokes which made it a real pain. Hopefully the extra length isn't going to result in popped tubes. Invented a few new curse words tonight to go along with the ones I came up with the other nite while trying to install new tires on 10" rims. But at least I have 1 rim laced. Hope to have the second laced tomorrow.

This user has no status.

What happened to the red rims?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links