PlanetMinis Forums banner

Picked up an '04 CRF50 for the kids and need a little advice

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  apbling 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I picked up an 04 CRF50 in good shape for my kids. I know little about its previous life so I was going to go over it to make sure its safe and ready to roll. The oldest is only 4, so I'll be getting the training wheels and remote kill switch for it.

That aside, I know the chain was ran dry and likely has enough miles on it, so I was going to replace both sprockets, chain and the rear tire (its really worn). Here is where I run into an issue. I was going to get all parts form Dennis Kirk, but I cannot find the exact DID 420 chain that came stock on the bike. Since he's only 4 and won't be pushing the limits by any means, will a standard 420 chain be just fine? It appears the stock chain is 78 links long and all the DID 420's from DK are longer, so I'll have to cut it, but thats no big deal. The other issue I am having is the rear tire. From partzilla, it appears the stock rear tire is a 2.50-10 4PR - I'm not sure what the 4PR means, but DK only carries FRONT tires in that size, other than one offbrand I'm not so sure about. So, my question is, does it really matter on these little 50's if the tire is sold as a front versus rear? Also, if there is any other parts site out there with good selection/prices I'd be interested.

#4 ·
I believe you are correct about the stock chain being 78 links. Any quality brand 420 Chain will work. I.e. DID, Renthal, RK, etc. I typically go with RK but that is just my preference. I have found that prices can vary by length and usually just buy whichever length is cheapest as I am cutting it to size anyways.

As for the rear tire, any 2.5-10 should work. Unless you plan for him to start racing dirt or super Moto, I would recommend a medium tire over soft or super soft tire to help lengthen the time between tire changes. My son mainly rides on the street and can wear out a set of soft nobby's in 2 or 3 months.

The little 10 inch tires are real pain in the butt to change. Be sure to order extra inner tubes in case you pinch one while installing the tire. Get some baby powder and apply it liberally to the tube before installing the tire Will help reduce the likelihood of a pinch tube.

Check out tboltusa.com. They are a sponsor vendor here. They are always helpful, have a competitive prices, and always ship quickly. I am guessing you can get everything you need from them and shipping is free on most orders over $50.

#5 ·
Thanks. As for the tire, I have a buddy that changes tires on the side for pretty cheap and was going to let him do it. After fighting with an old 73 CL350 tire its almost easier to just pay him w/ a 12 pack and have him do it. Since I had to call the local Honda shop for the right side gasket, I asked about a tire and they have a medium dunop in stock for $30, so I'll just go that route. The local Honda dealer has to be one of the last dealers out there that don't have a huge fancy showroom and charge very fair prices.

I'm pretty excited about giving this to the kid this summer. I had a 1970 50 mini trail hard tail and a 1978 z50 growing up and had countless hours of fun on them, so hopefully he finds this enjoyable. As for racing, thats a longs ways off. He's 4, a little small for his age and his attention span isn't the best at times, so we're going to start off with training wheels, remote kill switch and throttle limited (I believe I read that these newer ones have a bolt on the throttle, if not, I'll put a piece of hose on top the throttle slide to limit his speed) and not even mention shifting just yet. I saw the Tbolt stuff - I had no idea the extents one can go tricking these bikes out! I have a younger son too, so we'll likely just keep this little guy stock and if they still show interest when older get something bigger...or give him my 1975 Suzuki RV 125, which he will likely think so super ugly and lame!

#6 ·
So I have 2 more questions.
1. the tire. I just picked it up from the local Honda shop. They are usually top notch, but I'm a little concerned about the size of this tire. Stock is supposed to be 2.50-10. This one looks a little taller and fatter. Their receipt says 2.5/2.7-10. Its a dunlop geomax 70/100-10 41J (assuming the 70/100 is mm?) - anyway, think I'll be safe from any rubbing with this tire?

2. There is a throttle limiting screw on the throttle housing, right?

#9 ·
excellent. sounds like I'm in business then. This tire def looks like an upgrade for sure. I have yet to take possession of my bike (the father in law picked it up and bought it for me and I haven't gotten it from him yet) but after getting the new tire, I stopped and looked at some new CRF50's in the showroom. This tire makes the stocker look like a road tire!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.