PlanetMinis Forums

Smog Pump Supercharger, Myth or Reality?

This is a discussion on Smog Pump Supercharger, Myth or Reality? within the CRF50 forums, part of the General Talk category; Ok, I've done countless hours of research on the net and on smog pumps for myself to determine if they are a viable option for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Smog Pump Supercharger, Myth or Reality?

Ok, I've done countless hours of research on the net and on smog pumps for myself to determine if they are a viable option for an inexpensive supercharger. I believe they are and this link is to a video of the only working smog pump supercharger that I've found. For you doubters, who don't understand the physics or engineering, keep the riddicule to the min

Anyhow, enjoy: http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...t=Untitled.flv

I know it's a little "Red", but after talking with the fella who made it, who is quite competent, it is very funcional and capable of making 24psi and has that pretty stock 90 really moving. Maybe one of these days I'll make one for my self.

Anyone need 25+ hp?
    -'06 RCM, Diamond Back Bars, Starcross front tire, Extreme rear tire, Akunar Piston, AHP head work, Top Secret AHP Race Cam and a tiny Carb.

-'70 Z-50 in horendous shape.

-About 20 or 30 other bikes in various states of disrepair.

This user has no status.

I saw this done on a small Honda motor as far back as the '70's at Bonneville. Is it practical for any other use? Debatable.

This user has no status.

Bruce was telling me about you playing with this idea the other day..

Glad to see that guy warmed up his bike properly haha

This user has no status.

It's a stretch for me to make a project like this happen on my shoestring budget.

I gotta beat Bruce up for letting the crazy cat out of the bag He's probably making me out to be some lunatic I'm hoping to start with one of those cheap big valve motors then go from there. I've got a smog pump all picked out and enough crazy cat in the bag to maybe get it done at some point. If I really go for it, I won't be looking to make max hp, but make a reliable supercharger, cheap. It's an uphill battle using a smog pump because they are not really meant to do that, but I have a unique resource at hand that could put me over the top.

Anyhow, Mark, do you have any spare bikes laying around that need a supercharger?
    -'06 RCM, Diamond Back Bars, Starcross front tire, Extreme rear tire, Akunar Piston, AHP head work, Top Secret AHP Race Cam and a tiny Carb.

This user has no status.

I am in the prosess of doing it right now actually!

here are some pictures of my progress, oh and im supercharging my knockoff because i dont want to blow up my honda....lol

This user has no status.

Nice, looks like you are almost done. Let us know how it works out. If you need any help, just let me know.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygen1
    Nice, looks like you are almost done. Let us know how it works out. If you need any help, just let me know.

yeah im pretty much almost done, i just need to find a v belt to fit it (there is a rubber band on it now... lol), and seal some stuff a little more but yeah, its coming along nicely.

and thanks for the offer, ill let you know if i need some help

This user has no status.

I knew you yankees were a little off. LOL Looks like some crap I'd come up with. Cool definitely keep posting progress.

This user has no status.

Post a video, when you are done! Is this any cheaper than a BBkit?

Sanoman23

This user has no status.

By the way the Chevy Impalas came with an electric pump that a lot of car guys convert to pump out crank pressure. Might look into that.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygen1

I know it's a little "Red"

I had no idea what you meant until I saw the video. haha, the guy sure likes doing burn outs. And you think his feet would get alittle hot with that exhaust.
    2006 Reeg 70

2003 XR50

2004 CRF50

2003 CR250

2002 CR125

This user has no status.

You could say "red" or ingenius, they are interchangable

The electric pumps won't work for this, they are pretty much a 12v shop vac, they just will not create the amount of pressure needed. The smog pump pictured above actually compresses the air inside the pump so it is pretty good at creating pressure. The one pictured above is not the one I would choose but it is a great place to start.

This user has no status.

10-4 have fun

This user has no status.

Tygen 1 Where are you in South Jersey? I use to live in Maple Shade just outside of Cherry Hill. How far are you from there? What's the mini seen like up there we may be doing a road trip soon and Cherry Hill to Tom's River is already on the route.

This user has no status.

Mini scene is a little stale, at least for me, LOL, a few guys have been trying to get together but nothing has really come of it. I am near williamstown. If your up to riding a bit on your trip, just let me know. Maybe I can get a few guys together. Check out the Atco race series thread in the east coast events forum, there is a thread there by some local guys who have been trying to get somthing going.

Sanoman, it is probably cheaper than a BBK, but the reliability is questionable and could take out your motor in the process. But untill it takes out your motor you will be that man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads