10 year old + CRF70.. thoughts?

PlanetMinis Forums

10 year old + CRF70.. thoughts?

This is a discussion on 10 year old + CRF70.. thoughts? within the Honda CRF70 forums, part of the General Talk category; Hey guys, I have been a motor bike lover all my life from riding a massive range of bikes from scooters to KTM's to road ...

This user has no status.

Post 10 year old + CRF70.. thoughts?

Hey guys,

I have been a motor bike lover all my life from riding a massive range of bikes from scooters to KTM's to road bikes and the list goes on, i am a lover of the open road. Anyway this is all about my son! when he was 8 i brought him his first mini moto 49cc for him to ride up and down the street getting an understanding of the feeling and how to ride, and he loved it. (Just like his farther ) Now he has got the hang of the 49cc with some upgrades along the way so it wont be getting any quicker. I want to get him a new bike but i'm not to sure on how bigger jump in engine to take keeping his safety in mind. I have been looking at CRF70 for sale online and this seems like a safer option a little larger than his last bike in all ways but (1 step at a time). But then i have been looking at the CRF110 which also seems like a really good bike but the power jump is a little worrying... what are your guys thoughts on this?

Then there is the bikes them selves
    How are they to ride? comfortable and safe?
    What is the maintenance like to keep up with?c
    And is there anything i should look out for when buying a second hand CRF70/CRF110 ?

Example image below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zzzCRF.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	187778

Any information/opinion welcome guys it will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Last edited by Freshhere; 09-27-2016 at 02:30 AM. Reason: More information

This user has no status.

Glad to hear your son is enjoying dirt biking. I purchased my 10 yr old nephew a crf70 as his first bike,he had never ridden anything before and it's working out great.we did a few small upgrades such as a complete exhaust,a BBR rear spring on stock shock for those times I need to hop on and show him a few things.hes been getting acclimated to riding and shifting gears perfectly on the crf70,I bought us a second bike (2013 klx110l)so I can have fun along side himAnd he could grow into it.I must say with his limited riding experience the 110l was a bit much.he just didn't seem to have the coordination and understanding of going thru the gears to get the most out of it..I'm not sure if your sons first bike had any gears?if it didn't I would start him off on the 70 and go from there..let him get to know when to shift and once he gets that down and is comfortable I'd go up in size from there..as far as maintenance goes it's been pretty minimal.if your not going to ride too often just make sure you start it up every few days so your carb doesn't get gummed up from sitting gas..good luck on your hunt for a new bike...

This user has no status.

Sweeeeet that's what i like to hear sounds like the 70 is a winner. My son only had a rev and go for his first bike, for a 49cc it was surprisingly quick with the upgrades. I am looking forward to teaching him how to go through the gears get him started young like your son!!! We will go out maybe twice a week max once minimum due to having to work but the bike will be kept in good order..

Looks like i'm on the hunt then hes going to be loving this!!

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links