PlanetMinis Forums banner

First and Only Grom in the U.S.

12K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  GregW 
#1 · (Edited)
I got to inspect and sit on and fondle the first Grom to hit the North American continent today at the Honda factory coral during the MotoGP at Laguna Seca. It is as I have been hoping it would be. I gave it a thorough exam and found it to be fit and healthy. The only thing I did not do was lube up a rubber glove and jam it in to the tail pipe.

I took some pictures of the places I haven't already seen in the catalogs and marketing brochures.

The hideous medallion:

I'm afraid the Composimo tidy tail will cause the winkers to hit the stock pipe. Guess I'll have to get a low pipe..

I plan on removing the fork reflectors.

According to Honda factory rep, the Grom is officially known as the JC61. I'm not sure why but the J in the VIN indicates it was manufactured in Japan (someone please confirm) but I thought all the bikes were made in Thailand...

Im not sure how I'm going to un-cork this airbox....

It may be as simple as putting a K&N filter right to the left of where it says 13 on the throttle body.

You can see what appears to be an 02 sensor on the head at the exhaust valve.

I'm not sure what this other sensor is. Maybe a temp sensor? Also notice that you can mount standard CRF type foot pegs. I like having that option.

The abdominal cavity....

Quite the tail on this thing.

An adult couple almost fit two-up..... This poor gal got kreemed on her Ninja just a few weeks ago, hence the bandages.

Another adult with the mind of a 21 year old and the intellectual agility of a small soap dish. This is the color I ordered too, but my white plastics are inbound from Asia.

See less See more
#26 ·
モンキ;1914852 said:
I just want the motor and engine management to swap into my Z...ya'll can keep the rest. :D

I will be on the look out for wrecked ones from day one....

You can build a faster Z than a Grom pretty easy - and keep the carb. IMO, the engine management of the EFI on the Grom is a limiting factor, mainly because I dont know how to tune them, if its even possible.

They do make big bore kits and bigger throttle bodies and injectors for the Grom but I have yet to read anything (in English at least) about how the computer tuning is working out on those kits.

Im still buying a Grom, of course, but other than an exhaust and maybe air box mods, I will wait and see about EFI performance enhancements...

#37 ·
I'm sorry, but I'm not into this bike and don't understand the hype, demographic, design or anything about it.
Can you guys explain to me what the point is and why you guys like it so much?
I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just not into it at all and don't get why everyone is so pumped on it.
Does anyone else agree with me?
dd

#38 ·
I almost feel like asking you WTF are you doing on Planet Minis then? Its a street legal Honda with a horizontal engine. It is an evolution of the Honda Monkey which is the foundation of the whole mini-bike world. I don't understand your question any more than you understand the Grom. I'm not trying to sound like a dick either but posting a question like that as a PM just seems kinda odd. If this were a Hyabusa forum, I could understand your question, but....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.