Seeking Grom fork dimensions - Page 2

PlanetMinis Forums

Seeking Grom fork dimensions

This is a discussion on Seeking Grom fork dimensions within the Honda Grom / MSX125 forums, part of the General Talk category; Originally Posted by fatcaaat There's a couple of potential issues which is why I 'm doing all this research. First, the Grom forks do not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seeking Grom fork dimensions

is a member who doesn't care
    about a status.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat View Post
    There's a couple of potential issues which is why I 'm doing all this research. First, the Grom forks do not look like they have much offset. Standard monkey/ct70 have 40mm and you can buy trees that have 55-60 which slightly extends the wheelbase and moves the tire forward so your bigger engines can clear. Another issue is height. Standard height of zokes is 730mm and not even sure if you can get 650mm anymore. That is way too long for a grom. A standard ct70 fork is 610mm.

Reports of grom forks being too soft are all over, meaning you need to upgrade 300 bucks to make them work well. However, KSR110 forks are available and they are awesome with just adding 10wt oil and preload adjusters in 650mm. Still cost 600 bucks though
    Well mine are going on a KLX 110 frame with Grom wheels (need more width than standard zoke clamps).
    But I had a buddy who was wanting me to try and make some clamps for his Grom to fit Zokes. So all this is good info.
    NAIL SLUTS, THEN RUTS ... then the slut again!
    N.S.T.R

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by xr1million View Post
    Well mine are going on a KLX 110 frame with Grom wheels (need more width than standard zoke clamps).
    But I had a buddy who was wanting me to try and make some clamps for his Grom to fit Zokes. So all this is good info.
    Well, i'd be interested in a set of clamps if you are making them. With klx frame, you def want to extend the offset to like 55mm and you could retain the stock width of grom forks to fit the zokes. I'd love a set...I'd put in a set of 650mm fast ace shocks and rock them on a CT. The invert forks available for cts today are not only junky legs, but are too wide on the trees and ruin the aesthetics. a set that is about 210 center to center would be about perfect on a ct or klx. Assume you are going for 3 or 3.5" wide wheels yes?

update: i redid all my calculations. For a set of fast ace forks, tree center line to center line should be about 185mm for a ct70. Stock pitbike is 163mm.
    Last edited by fatcaaat; 12-04-2015 at 02:15 AM.

about a status.

Well, i'd be interested in a set of clamps if you are making them. With klx frame, you def want to extend the offset to like 55mm and you could retain the stock width of grom forks to fit the zokes. I'd love a set...I'd put in a set of 650mm fast ace shocks and rock them on a CT. The invert forks available for cts today are not only junky legs, but are too wide on the trees and ruin the aesthetics. a set that is about 210 center to center would be about perfect on a ct or klx. Assume you are going for 3 or 3.5" wide wheels yes?
    Yes 3" front 4" rear. My plan is to have the forks use the stock width wheel and spacers, not sure where that will leave the center-center spacing yet. My parts should be here by the end of the year.
    I have a set of 650 Zokes that were revalved by Shane at Velocity. They are left over from my MM race bikes. I could part with them as I don't think I'll be using them on my Grom Killer.
    Last edited by xr1million; 12-03-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    N.S.T.R

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Yes 3" front 4" rear. My plan is to have the forks use the stock width wheel and spacers, not sure where that will leave the center-center spacing yet. My parts should be here by the end of the year.
    I have a set of 650 Zokes that were revalved by Shane at Velocity. They are left over from my MM race bikes. I could part with them as I don't think I'll be using them on my Grom Killer.
    I've done a lot of measuring and thinking when it comes to forks swaps and there is really only 1 critical dimension that makes or breaks your whole deal...and that is the internal to internal distance between the forks at the area fat where the uppers and lowers come together. Your tire needs to be able to clear through there (and your fender if you mount it that way.

That said, the most critical dimensions other than the length you want you need to calculate your fit is going to be (if all you have are the forks themselves) is the diameter of the fork legs and the width of the axle mounting areas...then you can work backwards and make the trees exactly to your liking. Make them too wide and the bike looks like crap. Make them too narrow and you have clearance problems.

That said, I have determined that a set of KSR110 forks will mount on a monkey or dax, using the standard g'craft 181mm trees up to a 4"wide tire using either the stock ct70 hub converted for disc or the stock monkey hub converted for disc. That is a 4" wide tire on a max 3" rim

The grom forkset will work as well, provided you swap out the stem for a monkey. No need to even swap out tree sizes as they will clear the same 4"wide tire on a 2.75 wide rim

The fast ace and zokes are in about the same boat as the grom. You cannot use the trees that come with them as they make it to narrow. You can't use the ones that come with the skyteam aftermarket ct70 stuff...they are too wide. YOu need something else. That's what I want to determine next. I gut tells me that a standard 179mm spacing will cut it extremely close because they are slightly wider than groms.

Can you take measurements of your zokes? I'll need the following:
    Upper Clamping Area
    Lower Clamping Area - and taper measurement like Chad did so you can see where the trees can slide
    Diameter at the fattest point where uppers and lowers come together
    Thickness of the axle mounting area.

With those, I can understand exactly how wide the triple trees need to be for my application...i'll know all critical dimensions. I'd be willing to buy the forks if you can make the tree to run them...

This user has no status.

Chad...another question if you dont' mind. What is the offset of a standard fork setup? Also what are the dimensions of the inner to inner at the axle and inner to inner where the fork uppers and lowers come together at the tightest? A standard set of grom trees could potentiall work.
    Want the the fork measurement on centers or on the inside of each fork

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by storminnorman07 View Post
    Want the the fork measurement on centers or on the inside of each fork
    Inside each fork (not from center) at both the fattest portion where upper and lower meet, and at the axle please. Also, may as well ask the question for grom since you have one there...what is the centerline distance (you haven't given that yet) as well as the tree offset?

If there is enough clearance, I may just find myself a set of grom forks and use a set of KKK Product Trees and call it a day and update the forks if needed later.

This user has no status.

Inside each fork (not from center) at both the fattest portion where upper and lower meet, and at the axle please. Also, may as well ask the question for grom since you have one there...what is the centerline distance (you haven't given that yet) as well as the tree offset?

If there is enough clearance, I may just find myself a set of grom forks and use a set of KKK Product Trees and call it a day and update the forks if needed later.
    Well these specs are questionable accuracy. With the head light cluster and all the other stuff in the way it was hard to get a fairly accurate measurement

The lower right Triple which is fairly accurate it's the same distance as on top of the triple

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20151204_014328.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	362.5 KB 
ID:	169406

Same with upper Triple it was easier not only to take a measurement but also easier to get a clear picture. The distance is the same on the bottom side of the top Triple

Name:	ForumRunner_20151204_014556.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	169408 i eye-o-metered the inside of one leg to get this --->

Name:	ForumRunner_20151204_014738.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	169409

Inside to inside of tire

Name:	ForumRunner_20151204_014900.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	169410

Wasn't sure what offset you wanted the wheel spacing offset or if the bottom of the leg holes where offset. I made assumption you where looking for the hole at the bottom of the leg? If not let me know exactly what offset your looking for.

Name:	ForumRunner_20151204_015000.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	169411

This user has no status.

Thanks again. I think i have all I need at this point but it's hard to tell in one of the pictures what the measurement is...it is the first one...i can't tell where I should look on the tape. That one is the center to center of the forks measurement right? I suppose you can take that from anywhere...tree, forks in the middle, or even at the bottom..the important thing is that it is center line of the forks to ccenter line of fork...and based on angle, it looks somewhere between 7 and 7.5 inches.

To effectively work on a ct that measurement will need to be over 7" and under 7.5...which could be...can you confirm...no picture needed...just the number...picture if you have the notion...

This user has no status.

Be sure to keep in mind the axle location on the fork bottoms. The Groms are on fork centerline, while the Zokes/Fast Ace are forward of the axle. This needs to come into play when planning your custom triple offset. If you install a set of Zokes on the standard Grom triple offset, it will shorten your trail (by moving the axle forward) and has the potential to make the bike more sensitive to bar input (twitchy). To have the same trail as stock, you will have to make the offset of the triples shorter the same distance that the Zoke axle location sits off of centerline. This may also cause contact issues of the forks with the tank or frame at full lock.

I can see why the Grom has the axle on centerline of the forks. If they are using triple/steering head geometry similar to my X4, they did this to make it more stable at speed. My X4 was twitchy on the freeway in stock form.

Also, not sure if Fast Ace stopped selling the 650mm forks. I purchased a set last Fall with no problems.

I am also interested if someone could measure the steering head angle on the Grom.
    Last edited by Wrench; 12-04-2015 at 10:30 AM.

about a status.

top clamp 45mm
    bottom clamp 48
    distance from top cap to the highest point of 48mm clamp area is 150mm
    straight area of 48mm is 80mm long
    at fork seal is 51mm
    drop out width is 39mm and looks to be centered.
    N.S.T.R

This user has no status.

Perfect...these dimensions are the same for Fast Ace which I'm going to be buying a pair of in addition to my KSR110 forks. I'll reverse engineer the clamp distances shortly and post for CT70.

top clamp 45mm
    bottom clamp 48
    distance from top cap to the highest point of 48mm clamp area is 150mm
    straight area of 48mm is 80mm long
    at fork seal is 51mm
    drop out width is 39mm and looks to be centered.

about a status.

A quick measurement in the garage looks like it will have the Zoke forks at 20cm on center to fit the Grom front wheel and spacers. That will leave a little over 14.5cm between the insides of the fork seal area for tire clearance.
    I'm going to try and get into work next week and start drawing things up.

Any suggestions on offset changes for street use versus standard offset for dirt on the KLX?
    z50 chopper likes this.
    N.S.T.R

is you don't have to be smart to
    be me, unfortunately I prove
    it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by storminnorman07 View Post

just took some quick measurements on my ct70 and it looks very close almost as if the grom triples will work without a stem change. But not sure of the offset would be correct.

This user has no status.

I am also putting grom forks on a ct70. The problem I ran into is the CT stem is longer.If you use the Grom lower triple with a CT stem the top clamp will not reach down to the top of the forks. Also the ride height is about 3 or four inches too tall. FYI the Grom forks centerline dimension is 204 mm.

This user has no status.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links