Introduction and my bikes, so far...

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Introduction and my bikes, so far... within the Introductions forums, part of the General Talk category; This will likely be a long post so feel to just check out the photos. I've been quietly reading and learning as much as possible ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jamesfl
  • 1 Post By jamesfl

Thread: Introduction and my bikes, so far...

This user has no status.

This will likely be a long post so feel to just check out the photos.

I've been quietly reading and learning as much as possible here since Dec. Recently, I have been posting more questions and figured it was time I finally introduce myself and my bikes.

I basically stumbled upon this forum when I decided to picked up a used CRF50 for my son for Christmas. I found a basically stock 2011 on Craigslist with a big Gun Exhaust and black UFO plastics.
    Here is what she looked like when we brought her home.

While waiting for Christmas to surprise my son, I happened upon a seller who was moving and had a 2006 CRF100 and a 2005 CRF150F he was looking to sell. Both had been sitting for over a year and needed some work. I contacted the seller about buying one for my son to trail ride and to try out at the MX track. As we negotiated the price on the 100 he said he would be willing to do a better price if I took both. I thought to myself that it didn't really like the idea of my son riding trails by himself and ended up bringing both home.

Here they all are before Christmas.

Just before Christmas I took the 100 and 150 to my mechanic's to have him go thru both and get them ready for us to ride.

When Christmas rolled around I surprised my son with the 50 along some accessories. I knew if I let him know about the other bikes he would be thinking too much about riding the bigger bikes and not enjoy his new ride as much, so I decided that keep them a secret until the mechanic was done and surprise him again.

While I waited we started upgrading his 50 and have been adding parts since Christmas.

Here is how it sits now.

When the bigger bikes were ready to be picked up, I loaded up his 50 and told him that we needed to take it to the mechanic's to have some work done. Boy was my son shocked when I told him the bikes he was admiring were ours and to help me load them up.
    Here is how they sit now.

I then stumbled upon a CRF50 rolling chassis on OfferUp. Since I was having such a good time with my son working on his 50, I thought building a custom 50 would be a great father/son project as well as a great learning experience for him. As an added bonus, I found that I enjoyed working on 50's.

Here is the roller when we got it home.

I started checking the classified here and on eBay and soon realized I could pick up a complete 50 for less then the cost of just an engine. So I picked up this bone stock 50 as a donor bike.

The prior owner was having problems with idling and stalling. I got the bike home and cleaned the pilot jet as per the steps on ThumperTalk. The bike runs perfectly now and I can't bring myself to tear it apart. Luckily I stumbled upon a used z50 motor locally for the father/son project.

I threw the left over black UFO plastics on the stock 50 and we keep it as a back up for when I am working on my son's 50.

We mounted the z50 motor in our project bike to ensure it would run.

After getting it running and tuned we tore it down completely and boxed everything up and started ordering parts.

The frame is now in the truck of my car waiting to get dropped off at the powercoater's.

I then stumble upon what I thought might be a good parts bike for our project but have decided (with the help of dirtbkr) to keep it and get it running right again as my next project.
    Some of you might recognize it.
    Here is what it looked like when I brought it home.

And after adding some wheel from the "donor" bike.

That bring us to today. My son and I started the first steps of building the father/son project.

Last edited by jamesfl; 04-01-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    XLr8r likes this.

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Supporting Member

First off.....Welcome to Planet Minis!!!

The Crf100 and 150f bring back some awesome memories for me. My first bike was a CRF80. Dad made me learn on an 80 because the 50 and 70 had auto clutches and he was determined to teach me how to use a clutch right away. Although the bike was WAY too big at the time, I caught on to the clutch quickly and dad wanted a bike to ride around with me so he picked up a CRF100. I hit a major growth spurt and was ready for the 100 within a year or so. He went out and snagged a BRAND NEW left over 150F for $2,200 OTD from a Honda dealer (back in 07). The crazy thing is the 150s still seem to go for 1500-2000! Somehow along the way we ended up with a second CRF100 for my mom to ride. We were passed the point of no return. Bikes, bikes, and more bikes! LOL! As I got older, I obviously moved up to bigger bikes; but Dad still has the 80, 100's and 150 just because they are bulletproof bikes and they're worth more to us than they'd sell for.

The 50's all look awesome!! You are doing parenting right. Father-son projects are unforgettable and having your son learn at a young age will be very beneficial to him as he gets older. As for the issues with the motors, they are almost never messed up too badly. I have no fear buying a locked up 50 or 70 or a motor in any condition just because they are so simple and parts are pretty cheap. These motors are pretty darn tough, it's hard to kill them. If they're locked, I'd bet water got into the cylinder, or someone ran it out of oil or didn't put any in. Everything on them is pretty darn simple. Valves adjust easily, timing is easy to set, and (for your z50) the points are easy to adjust as well. You will probably need a clutch nut tool and a flywheel puller assuming you are doing a complete rebuild (looks like a lot of parts from TB!!). Motion pro makes both of those tools and they work really well. I think I snagged the flywheel puller and clutch nut tool for ~25 bucks total on amazon or eBay. If you have any questions along the way there are tons of experts here on PM that'd be more than happy to help out. Also, Clymer manuals are worth their weight in gold!

Side note on the 100....If you plan on going to tracks often, the 100 and 150 aren't really designed for jumping/racing etc. I was jumping my 100 like a mx bike and was not very gentle on it! I moved up to a CRF150R (the motocross bike) which has a LOT more power and pretty awesome suspension. They are awesome bikes. I'm sure that'll be a little ways down the road yet, but give them a look when he's ready to move up. I was jumping a 90 ft triple at the local my track at 13yo on my 150RB. Once again, PLENTY of power. You are going to have a lot of awesome memories ahead. I'm pretty excited for you and your son. I wouldn't trade growing up on bikes for anything. Of course there will be injuries and pricey repairs along the way, but that's all part of the experience.

Aaron
    Not addicted. Hidden Content

This user has no status.

Thanks Arron. I grabbed a flywheel puller and clutch lock nut tool off eBay and have already replaced the stator on our project.

The father/son build came to a stop last night as we can't remove 2 of the screws holding on the outer clutch cover. Actually got 2 out before the tip on our impact screwdriver actually twisted/bent trying to remove the final two screws.

As for jumping the 100 and 150f, I unfortunately learned this shortly after buying the bikes. I have been watch out for a nice deal on a used 2 stroke 85 for him but I will wait until he has the skill and confidence to start hitting jumps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Well we got the stuck screws out with a hand torch, some PB Blaster, and an impact screwdriver.

Back to the hardware store as the clutch nut tool I bought takes a 1/2" socket and I only have 3/8" and 1/2".

Wonder if I should start a separate tread just for this build?

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Supporting Member

Yea go for it! And make sure you remember the flywheel puller has reverse threads! Lol! some of those screws can be areal pain. I usually grab a dremel ad make a flat notch in the screw and try a flat blade if all else fails.

Aaron
    Not addicted. Hidden Content

is Double Truckin' the Tricky Two
    BaBy!

Welcome to the addiction!

This user has no status.

Quick update on the most recent addition. Replaced the plastics, graphics, fuel tank, gas cap, carb, carb spacers/gaskets, engine cover, shift lever, and had the shock rebuilt. Still need to rebuild the SP5's, build new wheels, and fix a few other small issues. I think she is starting to come together.

XLr8r likes this.

is loosing screws all the time...

That's awesome. How old is your son? I have four boys myself so always busy fixing stuff. LOL.
    Sean Hidden Content

Nullus Verreor ex Terra Incognita

This user has no status.

He turns 13 tomorrow. He really wants me to get a 85cc two stroke, but we don't have room currently and I am not sure if he is ready for a race bike yet but I am certain he will be soon enough.

Sponsored Links