Adjustable rev limiter... Again

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Adjustable rev limiter... Again within the KLX110, DRZ110, TTR90 forums, part of the General Talk category; It has been discussed before in an old thread, but it's now dead so I figured I would bring it back up again because I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    is wishing he still had a stock
    mod

It has been discussed before in an old thread, but it's now dead so I figured I would bring it back up again because I did a little more research. We are aware that the stock rev box has a rev limiter, but most engines stock or only slightly modified are not able to reach it due to it being at such a high rpm, and because these bikes have such slow revving motors. Some full mod motors can easily reach this limiter, but most engines will have valve float before they hit it. Many people are also afraid about blowing up there bikes if they panic rev, or if they crash and the throttle gets stuck. I also think that we all love the baa baa baa sound the bike makes when it hits a limiter. So it has been discussed that you could add a rev limiter that is fully adjustable.

The box that has been discussed is the adjustable Rev limiter that CHP makes for the 12v Honda bikes, like the Crf/Xr 50 and 70. here is a description of the limiter off of chp,s page:

Rev-Limiter, adjustable, CHP. This is the cheapest insurance policy that you will buy for your XR/CRF race motor. Eight separate settings, with the final setting UN-LIMITED. You can adjust your box to allow as little or as much rev as you want. Needs a 12 volt source to run the limiter. Easy installation and comes with a wiring diagram as well as each lead of the unit is already clearly labeled for error free installation. $69.95

It gives no installation instructions, but says that a 12 volt power source is needed. After looking at the wiring diagram, and how others have added head lights to there bikes, I have determined that the yellow wire that goes into the regulator is + 12 volts. So only the other wires would need to be determined. It says it has a wiring diagram and the wires are labeled. I am wondering how similar the klx wiring system is to Hondas systems. Aside from the plugs being different would all the wires have a direct match to the harness on the klx?
    I think that fitting the rev limiter on to a klx would Would be well worth it, and would be somewhat easily manageable. I'd love to hear your guys input.
    PS: I have way to much time on my hands to think this all through, and then wright this.

mod

Any input?

is Creepin around PM

Kawasaki had a team of engineers develop this bike. Wouldn't the engineers who designed the bike set the stock rev limit at the appropriate RPM as to not allow engine damage from over revving? (They did)

mod

I don't think that it is properly set, my bike gets valve float long before it hits the limiter. Not to say that Kawasaki designed it wrong, because I know some people can hit it on there bikes, my valve springs must just be weak. Besides, dosnt it just sound awesome when the bike hits the limiter? Regardless, I know of many people who have expressed interest.

is reviving PM one post at a
    time.

I'm still determined to get this done. I'm trying to get a friend of mine wire one of these up for me its just a matter of buying the box and him finding the time to do it. I know nothing about electrical or I would take a snap at it.

mod

Good luck! Post a thread if you get it done. I am going to call chp directly tomorrow, and talk to one of there tech guys, see what they think.

mod

I called Chp and they told me that the four wires are: 12volt, ground, input, and out put. I also realized that the yellow wire on the bike is actually 12v ac, so I will have to ask chp if it will still work. The other two wires are input and output, what the limiter does is intercepts the signal the cdi box sends to the coil, telling the coil when to discharge and sent the spark to the motor. So when the limiter senses the programmed rpm, it intercepts the signal and prevents the coil from discharging, causing the motor to loose spark. I actually looked on the oem wiring diagram, and the wire that connects between the cdi and coil is a black wire. so depending on weather the limiter will work with 12 volts ac you could very easily install it. worst case would be you would need to put a small 12 volt battery on the bike. And chp said if it ever looses power it just quits limiting the motor, so if you noticed that the rev-limiter stopped working you would just have to change the batterys. but until then the bike would continue to run fine.

time.

interesting. I don't know much of anything but doesnt it have to be a 12v dc source? I really wish someone would do a write up on this.

time.

is ready to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo400 View Post
    Kawasaki had a team of engineers develop this bike. Wouldn't the engineers who designed the bike set the stock rev limit at the appropriate RPM as to not allow engine damage from over revving? (They did)
    If you have these engineers developing these bikes to be " perfect " why, ten years later, do we still have pegmounts ripping out of cases, even when younger / smaller kids ride them some-what hard? I think I've hit the rev limiter on my bike once in owning it for a year and it was burning off an old tire on pavement and I accidently hit it for like three seconds. Needless to say I was shocked the bike even could, due to the slow-revving pig engine.

But yeah, as for Kawasaki improving on the bike over the years...
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Jordo Hidden Content
    AN ENTIRE 110CC CYLINDER CAN FIT INSIDE MY BORE!!!! I HAVE A BIG BORE WITH CRAZY INSAIN HEAD WORK!!!!!!
    Hidden Content

Supporting Member
    is ready for Saturday...

I think I do have a write up somewhere for mine. Maybe in my lxr thread? Who knows lol. Its does require a 12v power system. Some get away with rigging a 9 volt battery tbut what's the fun in that? (Besides it doesn't last long and is underpowered/les responsive). I ran a lighting coil, to a voltage regulator, to my revlimiter (dynatek). Works great, sounds better lol. My valves seem to love it

time.

I just wish I could pay someone to do it...lol.

is grippin it and rippin it !!

I really dont understand this fascination with rev limiters. Why does everyone want to Barcia impressions on their mini bikes ??? Do you drive your car to the track bouncing off the limiter in every gear?? Why would you need to do it on your bike?? Its definitely not where minis make their best horsepower !!

Supporting Member
    is ready for Saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmp View Post
    I just wish I could pay someone to do it...lol.
    Its not that hard bro, I'll see if I can put something together for you if I have time. Its just a matter of finding the right wires.

Quote Originally Posted by SwapperMX View Post
    I really dont understand this fascination with rev limiters. Why doe
    s everyone want to Barcia impressions on their mini bikes ??? Do you drive your car to the track bouncing off the limiter in every gear?? Why would you need to do it on your bike?? Its definitely not where minis make their best horsepower !!
    Its not that I'm trying to do a Barcia impression, or anything like that lol. Ever panic reved? Hear your valves float? Its not healthy, and when you have a couple grand in an engine I like to know at even if I go over the bars reving it into the ground at least IT will be ok lol. Besides, its neat to have the only mini at the track that pops off like a 250f (actually the 184 sounds more like a 450). Mine is fully adjustable from 6k on upwards of 15k, and I have it dialed just right to where the power drops off and just before valve float. I like it personally.... def. A head turner

Supporting Member
    is ready for Saturday...

Heres a link to a little vid...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links