Calling all electronic gurus!

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Calling all electronic gurus! within the KLX110, DRZ110, TTR90 forums, part of the General Talk category; Here is the goal: power a 12v dc revlimiter, and possibly a headlight on a klx 110. I will start with the headlight, as it ...

is wishing he still had a stock
    mod

Here is the goal: power a 12v dc revlimiter, and possibly a headlight on a klx 110.
    I will start with the headlight, as it is the simpler of the two. I plan on using an automotive style head light that I will mount on the bars and be removable. Most headlights will function on 12v ac correct? Because I will simply tap in to the yellow12v ac wire, then run a fuse and switch.

Next comes the 12v dc. Information on this is hard to find, but I believe that the system already has a 12v dc output for a horn and blinkers on the ksr. Can somebody shed some light on this? Assuming I cant find 12v dc on the bike I want to convert the 12v ac coming from the yellow wire in to 12v dc. After some research I learned that I need a bridge rectifier, which will convert the ac to dc. Is this a component I can just go buy at RadioShack and build a circuit? This is where my Lack of knowledge hurts me and I really need somebody's help! Please help me guys!

is Double Truckin' the Tricky Two
    BaBy!

Check out Vince's Tech section @ T-Bolt.. Lots of great info there...
    There's a full KLX110 service manual link there too, which has the 110 wiring diagram in it.

Basically, you've got it right, a rectifier for AC>DC, and a regulator to keep it a steady +12VDC
    for your accesories.(rev limiter, Vapor speedo, battery, turn signals, LED lighting... whatever)

TBolt USA Tech Database - TBolt USA, LLC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5_wire_Lifan_Wiring_041605_HI.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	109062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZSLFWiring_diagram_Zongshen_Lifan.jpg 
Views:	1107 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	109063

Thousands of rectifer/regulators to choose from on ebaaaaay..::
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-...fier+regulator
    Last edited by XLr8r; 02-26-2013 at 12:29 AM.

is pǝʇɹǝʌ
    ;uı

ya man. 12 v is 12 v whether you have 1 amp available, or 10,000 amps.
    the biggest thing is sizing the correct wire and fuse. whatever your wattage is, divide it by your voltage. whole numbers. that will give you a minimum amperage to fuse at.. give yourself 125% for "inrush current". size the wire one size up from your fuse. if the bulb pulled 3 amps, and you fused at 5-7.5A, then your wire would be at least 18ga with an ampacity of 10 amps.
    it depends on the insulation, but if you look up NEC table 310-16(c), just use MTW (machine tool wire) or THHN/THWN as your guidline for finding amps.

or, when in doubt, run 14 gauge stranded.. lol

mod

Thanks for the wiring tips whitehendrics, And XLr85, I dont think that I need a complete regulator/rectifier because the regulating step is already taken care of, its already 12v, just not dc. so i only need the rectifier. but at the same time it may be easier to just use one. I know you can just go to radio shack and buy a bridge rectifier which is all I need. So do I buy a complete 4 pin regulator/rectifier off ebay, even though Its already regulated, or do i use basic components and just wire together a rectifier circuit?
    Thanks for all the help. Also, I have a service manual, and I read the entire electrical chapter several times through.

is pǝʇɹǝʌ
    ;uı

its 12v AC? you're gonna see a slight voltage drop across the rectifiers. the overall DCV won't be 12V at that point.. it won't be much, but amps and volts are inversely proportional, so if your output DC voltage ends up around, lets say 10.5VDC, you're gonna need to up the gauge of the wires you use.

was that 12VAC at idle? because the voltage goes up wit revs to a point, so THEN you will need a regulator AND rectifier

mod

I believe it ranges between 12 and 14 vac. And I dont think a slight voltage drop will be a big problem because of several reasons:
    -The revlimiter only needs to be powered at high revs, because thats when it kicks in
    - People have sucessfully run these limiters off of 9v batteries in the past
    -The power indicating LED I want to run will only need 2-3 v
    So i think Im just going to get some help from a friend of mine who is experienced and have him help me wire together a rectifier on a project box.

is pǝʇɹǝʌ
    ;uı

i guess yo already have a stator... if not, its 64 turns of 18ga wire per pole for those bikes, and alternate the direction of the wind on each pole (wind 1 CW, 2 CCW, 3 CW and so on)

(thats more for anyone lookin to actually hve power..)

figure out the amp draw on the LED as well.. you'll need the mA draw to determine what resister you'll need to give it the correct bias voltage. i am willing to bet that output voltage goes a hell of a lot higher than 14V on the AC side. that will be important in selecting the right regulator. target voltage for all 12V systems are between 12.86 and 14.45 VDC. why THOSE numbers, i have no idea.. but thats what it is.

good luck to ya and post some pics and all up of what ya go goin on! i'm about half tempted to do some sorta electrical system on the Z so i can run an HID headlight on it and ride at night. i have some spare M3 projectors and HIDs and all i need to do something with. teehehee

is reviving PM one post at a
    time.

pushing this to the top

Sponsored Links