just bought a 2008 klx110 part mod, can I use a 03 ktm65sx to my advantage?

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on just bought a 2008 klx110 part mod, can I use a 03 ktm65sx to my advantage? within the KLX110, DRZ110, TTR90 forums, part of the General Talk category; so guys, recently picked up an 08 part mod 110 for a decent price. bike has stock forks with bbr HD springs and clamp, super ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSully23

Thread: just bought a 2008 klx110 part mod, can I use a 03 ktm65sx to my advantage?

This user has no status.

so guys, recently picked up an 08 part mod 110 for a decent price. bike has stock forks with bbr HD springs and clamp, super comp swing with elkas shock, and alot more but mainly a stock motor. plan to go tb 143 kit with v2 head at the very minimum.has the tak clutch kit with magura lever assembly. have a buddy with a blown 2002 ktm 65sx for parts and title he'd be willing to let me get for a few hundred. question is I'm pretty sure that bike has the early style zokes on it(one side compression and rebound. and I believe I would need pax or zoke clamps to get the front end to bolt up correctly. is it worth it to still invest in the 02 65sx forks? I'd like to use the 65sx rear wheel on my super comp but understand it would need to fab to get the brake cylinder to fit. long store short, is spending the 300 on a blown up 2002 65sx worth the work to get the forks and hopefully the rear wheel/brake assembly on my superClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20170218_120040.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.85 MB 
ID:	202825Click image for larger version. 

ID:	202825comp swinger? what would be needed besides fork springs and the fab for the rear brake/wheel for my super comp swinger. I've searched but answers and far and few between and pretty vague for the most part.

is Took Portland's job. I may be
    getting demoted again...

Grab the 65. Front clamps will work you just need the tapered bearing conversion kit (reducers for the KTM stem). You can make the rear wheel work you will need to fab up a mount for the master cylinder as finding one will be nearly impossible. Im sure you can still make some money back on he KTM between motor pieces, electrical and what not so definitely worth grabbing. Wish I could be more detailed but I have only done the front end conversion and I'm about to fall asleep haha.

This user has no status.

thanks alot for the reply, I saw the bearings on pax racing so those bearings will make the front end a direct bolt up? that'd be awesome, also I thought I've rear this, but are the 02 65sx forks the same as the old zokes.....one side compression one side rebound? so will the only extra mod I need to to is get them re-sprung for my weight?

Also as far as the rear tire/brake caliper goes on my super comp swinger, I thought I read somewhere that the caliper should slide right on the bbr swingarm caliper bracket which would leave me with just having to fab up the master cylinder mount correct? also I think I read I'll need to ditch my over the top bbr brake lever and find and under the peg brake lever.

final question is, is it worth it to spend the money to get the 65sx stuff to work, I just feel this will be the cheapest easiest solution to a better front end and full disc break conversion completed?

This user has no status.

You can buy that steering stem conversion kit much cheaper, from Worldwide Bearing, compared to Pax. FYI.

is Almost ready

Quote Originally Posted by GLMMRS View Post
    You can buy that steering stem conversion kit much cheaper, from Worldwide Bearing, compared to Pax. FYI.
    but is it as good as pax racing who had these done just for minis.

is Almost ready

Quote Originally Posted by GSully23 View Post
    so guys, recently picked up an 08 part mod 110 for a decent price. bike has stock forks with bbr HD springs and clamp, super comp swing with elkas shock, and alot more but mainly a stock motor. plan to go tb 143 kit with v2 head at the very minimum.has the tak clutch kit with magura lever assembly. have a buddy with a blown 2002 ktm 65sx for parts and title he'd be willing to let me get for a few hundred. question is I'm pretty sure that bike has the early style zokes on it(one side compression and rebound. and I believe I would need pax or zoke clamps to get the front end to bolt up correctly. is it worth it to still invest in the 02 65sx forks? I'd like to use the 65sx rear wheel on my super comp but understand it would need to fab to get the brake cylinder to fit. long store short, is spending the 300 on a blown up 2002 65sx worth the work to get the forks and hopefully the rear wheel/brake assembly on my superClick image for larger version. 

ID:	202825Click image for larger version. 

ID:	202825comp swinger? what would be needed besides fork springs and the fab for the rear brake/wheel for my super comp swinger. I've searched but answers and far and few between and pretty vague for the most part.
    its not that much cheaper going the ktm65 way bout time you coat the forks and do the bottom legs. then get it all revalved. also kobe has a str kx65 kit for sale on the planetminis fb page. and I also have a kx65 wheel im selling

This user has no status.

well I've got the guy down to almost $200 for the 2002ktm 65 with a blown and torn down motor. I explained to him I have no use for anything but the forks and wheels and he just wants it gone since he bought his son a new bike.

like I said the bike came with stock forks with the bbr springs in it, the ride level is good but I'm looking for something a little better than that for when I hop on the bike for myself (bought this bike for me to play around on, but also my fiance is going to learn to ride on this bike as well. Currently the rear wheel is pretty trashed, PO never kept track of the spokes and it's all out of true, I got it as straight as I could but will more than likely need a new one. Hence I could use the rear wheel off the ktm 65 AS long as I can use the brake, which I know takes some fabrication to mount. as far as the forks, if I just re-sprung then myself wouldn't they still be better than my stock forks with HD springs? I just figured to get the front and rear disc on the bike would be a huge plus in itself. if the front end can bolt up with new bearings and I slapped fresh seals, oil, and springs in it would it be fine for a backyard basher? I really need to spend money on the motor and I figured this would be a cbeap/easy enough upgrade for the price.

you guys all know better than I though and that's why I appreciate your input....I use to be on here about 7 years ago, with over a thousand post but when I tried to log in it says permanently banned for having 2 email adress linked to one account which is a shame because I had over 1000 post. I've just been out of the scene for so long and alot has changed, so as I said before any/all help is appreciated.

I can't even get a klx110 rear wheel off ebay for the same price as buying up this 02 blown ktm.

is Double Truckin' the Tricky Two
    BaBy!

That's a steal for the front end alone, especially if it's complete with brakes...
    Pax kit works great, get some .50kg/mm springs, and you're set. I run 10 weight oil in mine at 75mm.
    I'm probably a lot faster than you think you are.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Imback View Post
    but is it as good as pax racing who had these done just for minis.
    As good, if not better. They make bearing kits for top drag and roadracing teams. As long as they have the dimensions, they can build a proper kit. That $100 is simply upcharge/added margins for Pax. It's not an "exclusive" kit, if that makes sense.

Hope that helps.

This user has no status.

well I went last night and picked up the bike. It's in pretty rough shape, not horrible though and for the price I got it for I can't complain. the front end seems to be in good condition, but will need new fork seals which isnt a big deal since ill be swapping the springs. i was worried about the front brakes cable length if i use my taller bars but luckily theres plenty of excess length so it should be fine.
    XLr8r likes this.

This user has no status.

Attachment 203145

here's a quick pic of what I picked up. I was hoping for a set of perfect front and rear wheels but if you look closely in the picture you can see each wheel is missing some spokes. no biggie, I believe there true, but if I'm going to have to order a spoke set I might as well buy new rims of my choice.....right? come to find out, the motors actually good. I can spin the clutch basket by hand and it has good compression it just won't change gears. definitely a plus on the consumer side. The guy selling the bike had a misprint on his Craigslist add and had it listed as a 2000, but when I got there he told me it was an 07 which I obviously knew it was newer than an '00 from the forks and frame. sometimes being diligent pays off you know?although the bike seems as is it was a parts bike for his sons other bike, it more than suits my needs. luckily the guy just wanted space in his trailer and didn't see the need in keeping this "beat up" bike.....but to me it was a blessing in disguise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14885132890121967770164.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	203153
    Last edited by GSully23; 03-02-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Sponsored Links