Yeah another "Hey is this sound bad" post...

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Yeah another "Hey is this sound bad" post... within the KLX110, DRZ110, TTR90 forums, part of the General Talk category; I just bought a klx110 auto clutch for my son and its got a strange whine on the decel. Ive never heard a klx before ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mr.skywalker

Thread: Yeah another "Hey is this sound bad" post...

This user has no status.

I just bought a klx110 auto clutch for my son and its got a strange whine on the decel. Ive never heard a klx before so I don't know if it is typical for the bike. I just set the valves and did a full oil change. It sounds fantastic everywhere except on the deceleration but it sounds like the whine is coming from the head. I've gotten comments that it's everything from valves to an exhaust leak to a direct drive.....so what's the whining sound?https://youtu.be/1XYYFSRD4Nk

This user has no status.

Pull off the clutch cover and see if you have a primary gear or the stock clutch hub

This user has no status.

Yeah, Ive been digging around here and that seems to be the first place to look. I found this comment on another post a few minutes ago in regards to a sound similar to mine. The thing is, I still have the auto clutch so I dont know that its any help to me. I would agree though that sounding like a turbo is a good description only that mine isnt all that loud.

Any thoughts?

If the previous owner installed a manual clutch in the bike, there might be a chance he put an aftermarket primary drive gear in there as well. The noise I am guessing you are hearing in the higher revs is more of a high pitch whine, almost like a turbo charger. If this is the case, the previous owner might have installed the TB Parts Cold Fusion Primary gear. With these primary gears, excessive gear noise was created due to slight gear mesh problems. However, many have said that this is quite normal and is in no way of dammaging your engine. This noise you are hearing I am guessing, is coming from the front right of the engine.

This user has no status.

There's a small gear with a spring that's suppose to be on the primary gear. If not it will be fine but me I'd put it on and when you do make sure to turn the gear back with spring tension 2 teeth

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitt311 View Post
    There's a small gear with a spring that's suppose to be on the primary gear. If not it will be fine but me I'd put it on and when you do make sure to turn the gear back with spring tension 2 teeth
    Really,Is that how it works? What is it even for? Been curious for so long and no one had an answer.sorry dont me to mess up your thread i just never had someone know anything about that spring and gear

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagatogi View Post
    Really,Is that how it works? What is it even for? Been curious for so long and no one had an answer.sorry dont me to mess up your thread i just never had someone know anything about that spring and gear
    Yep, the preloaded gear dampens the sound of the gears as they come in contact with each other. I learned about that working on a triumph 675 with a race team and they would unload the tension as they found they would pick up another 1-2hp(140 hp race engine) due to less drag on crank.
    Yagatogi likes this.

Sponsored Links