My mini race bike and race season report

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on My mini race bike and race season report within the Mini-Motards forums, part of the General Talk category; Just wanted to post my mini fun for this year. I decided to buy my first mini last year and start racing with the local ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sdb5236

Thread: My mini race bike and race season report

This user has no status.

Just wanted to post my mini fun for this year. I decided to buy my first mini last year and start racing with the local club here in Colorado. I bought a China Pirahana 190cc 4 valve 4 stroke. I paid $1500 for the bike and another $500 for wheels and tires and hit the race grid. The bike was fast but unreliable and the engine parts were extremely expensive and hard to come by. My season was just filled with bike fixing and frustration. I would not recommend any China bike for racing personally.
    I ended up selling the whole package to a guy for $1,000.

This season I bought a used KX65 with a blown up motor for $500. Lots of guys in my race club run kx65's and win on them. We all must run 12" wheels and tires.
    I bought a set of China mag wheels for $250 and some Michelin tires made for a scooter that were supposed to be sticky and decent enough. I rebuilt the engine with a new bottom end. I kept the same top end because it looked good. The engine ran really well after the rebuild for the first couple of races. I changed out the top end and it blew up on me unfortunately. I did one race weekend on it and it ran great. I think that a clip for the wrist pin came loose after taking it apart. I put another top end in it and it blew again right away so damn time for a full rebuild. This time I had another guy build it for me and he installed an Athena overbore cylinder and piston.
    Engine is great now after some carb tweaking. Not that much stronger but a broader power band. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you tore up your cylinder like I did. It's good but $600 good maybe not.

I tossed the mag wheels, they are not a good purchase in my opinion for the KX because the bearings are the wrong size, and they don't fit with the stock brakes... you can't even fit a rear brake because they are so wide. I got rid of them and went with a known KX65 plug and play wheel/tire combo that I would recommend form K&J. Also the Michelin tires were crap. If you are not racing they might be fine, definitely durable, but all the guys run sticky race tires in my club so that's the way to go and Mitus tires stick and last... they are awesome.

I have Vforce 3 reeds, ProCircuit pipe, FMF silencer, Gen 2 SV 650 rear shock, stiffer front springs, 15W fork oil, and stock brakes. To make it as tall as possible I have a tall firm seat, and shorter linkages.
    Way too much money into this thing but it's so fun! I love the tight racing too and everybody in our club is fast.

It's a great setup that I love riding. Two stroke mini is awesome in my opinion. I've raced a friends CRF150R and they are awesome also. I personally have more fun on a two stroke though I am a little faster on the four stroke. You have to ride the two stroke hard and precise to get the most out of it and it's a great feeling.
    I got a 3rd place finish at the last round and that was the best so far, not bad for second season I guess, I am still learning.

Last edited by sdb5236; 10-10-2016 at 05:23 AM.
    kirrbby, sharky nrk and EndGame like this.

is NOOB

Man... seems like you had bad luck there for a bit, huh? Glad you finally got it sorted out with the KX65! We're just starting up the cold season indoor kart track days. I run Mitas tires on my KLX110 178cc stroker full mod, and love them. See ya round!
    2004 Kawasaki KLX 110(194cc) FULL MOD Mini-Motard
    1997 Honda Z50R (88cc) STOCK MOD Mini-Motard

is 12 0 clock

Is that IMI? love that place

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

is Leaning heavily towards
    unloading some minis.

Kx65's are fun to ride. Never rode a mini or big bike on the tarmac other than sport bike on the street. But cool u got it all figured out.

This user has no status.

You must have bought a clapped out 190 because mine ran flawless all year given it's very rough start. Parts are easy to come by too, just call Wholesale cycle or T-Bolt. KX65s are fun too (rode a buddies) but they won't keep up to a 190 (or KLX 17with more $$.

My SSR160 ran great all last year and I let someone use it last round so I recommend China bikes. Just don't buy an abuse one.
    SR160-TX
    P190R
    TTR125LEL
    CB400F (75)

Sponsored Links