Motoped Engine's Explained - Whats the different motors like.

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Motoped Engine's Explained - Whats the different motors like. within the Motopeds forums, part of the General Talk category; Hey guys, we have been doing a lot of Motoped builds here, we have 6 going on in the shop right now.....so I figured I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mike5ive

Thread: Motoped Engine's Explained - Whats the different motors like.

This user has no status.

Hey guys, we have been doing a lot of Motoped builds here, we have 6 going on in the shop right now.....so I figured I would explain some motors we have used and how they behave. Feel free to add your motors on...

Stock 49cc: Good for around town. Good for your girlfriend to ride so she doesn't get into trouble. A very unique motor made by Lifan just for motoped. Has a 2 speed automatic transmission like the old mopeds which is very cool. But, has very Low power. Will not climb a steep hill off-road. Wheel will not spin.

Lifan 125: If your looking for a simple motor swap this is the one. Only requires a few parts to work out. Good strong power. Will always be able to spin the rear tire, on any hill. Available in full manual or semi-auto. Very tractable power. Very controllable and smooth. Runs perfect out of the box, and can use all the stock motoped electronics.

Piranha 140: Get the semi-auto with auto clutch and electric start. Fits very well, and has the most torque of all the 125's. Diesel like torque. Not a high-rever, but that torque...awesome. Put it in 3rd in the trails and you always have power on tap. Very tractable. Electric start is cool. A bit more work to wire but not a big deal. Easily takes the lifan 125 in a drag race. Total different type of power delivery though with that torque. Yes, I like this motor a lot.

Daytona 190: If you have the $ and want to be king this is it. TONS of power. You will be master. A lot of work to install and mount oil cooler. With this motor you will take much larger bikes since the motoped is so light. Manual clutch only.

--John
    Wildpowersports.com

This user has no status.

I agree on the Lifan 125, mine is working out awesome. Very happy with the power but the Piranha has peaked my interest. Would be cool to have the electric start though. Hey quick question on the MC Dualsport wheel and tire. Do I HAVE to turn in my hubs or can I just buy the 1000. set outright and pay extra for the hubs ?

is Wile-E-Coyote Super Genius

Been trying to murder a TB 125 / 141 motor for over a year now with no luck, very happy with the motor
    BTW does anyone know if TB installs the high volume oil pump in these things / Their 141 motor, I asked them a while back but never got a response
    Wile - E - Coyote
    Super Genius
    My Name Is Mud

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

When you say TB, are you referring to T-Bolt? My reason for asking is that as far as I know, TB (TrailBikes) doesn't build or sell complete engines, but T-Bolt does.
    - dirtbkr188 -

Yes, T-Bolt
    Anyone needing a motor or anything you can trust the good people at T-bolt 24-7 365
    I am not Affiliated with the company in any way shape or form (although i recently beat a case where i was accused of throwing a sparklets glass bottle full of gas through someones kitchen window and then tossing in a lighted flare, due to an order that was placed with T-bolt) But that's another story.
    Sure would like to know if my 141 has the high volume oil pump installed within it, anyone know ????
    Or do i have to crack it open and have a look.
    Confucius say
    Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangcock
    Man who stands on toilet high on pot
    And my personal favorite, by far....
    Panties not best thing on earth but next to it.
    T Bolt USA likes this.
    Wile - E - Coyote
    Super Genius
    My Name Is Mud

@ T-bolt
    And so it seems that while the top end (head, cylinder, piston and etc) has been removed
    And the right side engine cover, in order to replace the clutch with a heavy duty one
    A perfect time to drill out the oil passageway leading to the head and replace the oil pump with a high volume pump
    T-bolt does not do so (sad yes)
    Sadder still that it's not even on the option list when one places an order for the motor.
    Perhaps ??????? Some time in the future they will (not to mention should) add that option

No jokes to add today, very disappointed with the situation
    Wile - E - Coyote
    Super Genius
    My Name Is Mud

is I only do 2 things , Ride Dirt
    Bikes and Wanting to Ride Dirt
    bikes !!

hey buddy
    the only oil passages that ever get drilled out are on the Honda 50 and 70cc motors when using high volume oil pumps
    The STOCK China motors have bigger oil pumps than Honda and never need to be increased
    Common knowledge among Pit bike engine builders
    Feel free to PM me or Email any time thecrkid@tboltusa.com
    T Bolt USA - Let's go riding!

All the top Pit Bikes, Engines and Parts for Pit bikes & Minis! Let us know if we can help!

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - (704) T-BOLT-US - Skype: TBoltUSA

I emailed you guys about three weeks ago and never got a response and then some days ago i posted the question on this thread.....
    Granted that a few days ago isn't that long ago but one would think that someone within the 38 views since i asked the question would have responded with that common knowledge...
    In any event I pulled cover and the pump off last night last night and today a friend will be making another pump gear for it with closer tolerances using Teflon and hydro-statically balancing the thing for me.
    I.E. I got the information i was looking for some hours to late.
    Thank you for the information though

Its not what you know, or don't know. Its what you know that isn't so that can hurt you
    Will Rodgers (circa) 1939
    Wile - E - Coyote
    Super Genius
    My Name Is Mud

is I only do 2 things , Ride Dirt
    Bikes and Wanting to Ride Dirt
    bikes !!

Hope everything works out sir
    IF anyone needs help please Feel free to PM me or Email DIRECTLY any time thecrkid@tboltusa.com
    T Bolt USA - Let's go riding!

All the top Pit Bikes, Engines and Parts for Pit bikes & Minis! Let us know if we can help!

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - (704) T-BOLT-US - Skype: TBoltUSA

This user has no status.

We can do a set without you sending the hubs, but its around $300 more. Motoped has zero hubs, and the only way we can get them (keep in mind we are a Motoped Dealer) is to buy wheels from them, take the apart, and throw away everything except the hubs. What a waste...but we have done it!

If your worried about not having your wheels for a bit, dont worry. We can take a deposit on the hubs, and send you a complete set. You can then get your hubs and send them to us and we return your deposit.

++2 points for Tbolt on motor info/getting parts. They have always been great to us and we love dealing with them!

--John

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeSmuggler View Post
    I agree on the Lifan 125, mine is working out awesome. Very happy with the power but the Piranha has peaked my interest. Would be cool to have the electric start though. Hey quick question on the MC Dualsport wheel and tire. Do I HAVE to turn in my hubs or can I just buy the 1000. set outright and pay extra for the hubs ?

This user has no status.

Bruce at CruzW has Motoped Parts now. Last time I checked they had hubs. You can check out their web store here. https://cruzwusa.com/

This user has no status.

Just checked their store and it's saying out of stock. I'd still give Bruce a call, he may be able to round up what you need.

Sponsored Links