PlanetMinis Forums

NS50F Iron Butt long distance bike HELP!

This is a discussion on NS50F Iron Butt long distance bike HELP! within the NSR50, NSF100F, MB5, NS1 and RCV Mini forums, part of the General Talk category; I have a Honda NS50F (same engine as the NSR 50) I use it to do ultra long distance timed rides. I have had some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

NS50F Iron Butt long distance bike HELP!

I have a Honda NS50F (same engine as the NSR 50) I use it to do ultra long distance timed rides. I have had some success thus far in being able to complete over 1000 miles in under 21 hours and a 1600 mile ride in 33 hours (both verified and certified by the Iron Butt Association). The engine has a 24 mm Mikuni flat slide carb, Arrow racing tuned pipe, has been ported and polished etc. etc. My problem is the cdi ignition. The stock unit has a rev limiter built in and it limits it to about 11000 rpm. The tuniong ahould develop power in the 13000 range - thus I am getting much lower than expected performance. Can anyone recommend a solution? How about an aftermarket CDI (must have wiring hook up diagram). I already have a supposedly unrestricted CDI off of a Honda NS-1 50 but cannot locate a wiring diagram and the guy who originally adapted it to a NS50F cannot be located anymore. Any suggestions would be welcome.

here are sites for a write up and a photo site for the rides and the bike during modifications.

4 corners of Canada

BB1500 on 49cc

Photos of modification process

barbie bike remodell pictures from good times photos on webshots

Thanks in advance

Bob Munden

Windsor, Ontario

This user has no status.

Re: NS50F Iron Butt long distance bike HELP!

CF Posh CDI.. #220060 or #220061 checked the catalog these are the two dan@honda50.com can get them.

061 has more aggressive mapping than 060

This user has no status.

Hey curious what fuel mileage are you getting for that distance? Kinda curious. Are you riding basically flat out, how is it done? Sounds crazy, but fun!!

This user has no status.

I'm getting about 50 miles per gallon and it is flat out at all times as these rides are done on the freeway (Interstate) system. There is a blog ride report of the 1600 mile ride at: 4 corners of Canada if you're intrested. The reason I am trying to get it to go faster is for a CC50 ride. This is a Coast to Coast ride in under 50 hours as sponsored by the Iron Butt Association (www.ironbutt.com) and the smallest bike to ever accomplish it is a Ninja 250. I have enough speed to complete it at present but I need to go faster to accomodate sleep time since I assume I will be using the entire 50 hours.

Bob Munden

Windsor, Ontario

This user has no status.

I don't know but presume this uses the same electonics as the NSR50? If so, this guy is selling stock NSR50 CDI etc. that should help you out.

NSR50 Parts

The 2004 stock NSR will rev out as there is no 11k rev limiter. If these will plug into your setup, this seems like the way to go. The guy with the parts for sale lives in Ohio.

Good Luck,

rob

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmunden
    I'm getting about 50 miles per gallon and it is flat out at all times as these rides are done on the freeway (Interstate) system. There is a blog ride report of the 1600 mile ride at: 4 corners of Canada if you're intrested. The reason I am trying to get it to go faster is for a CC50 ride. This is a Coast to Coast ride in under 50 hours as sponsored by the Iron Butt Association (www.ironbutt.com) and the smallest bike to ever accomplish it is a Ninja 250. I have enough speed to complete it at present but I need to go faster to accomodate sleep time since I assume I will be using the entire 50 hours.

Bob Munden

Windsor, Ontario

What is the total distance of the coast to coast ride?

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by rob linders
    I don't know but presume this uses the same electonics as the NSR50? If so, this guy is selling stock NSR50 CDI etc. that should help you out.

NSR50 Parts

The 2004 stock NSR will rev out as there is no 11k rev limiter. If these will plug into your setup, this seems like the way to go. The guy with the parts for sale lives in Ohio.

Good Luck,

rob
    The 2004 NSR50 uses CF POSH #230060 or #230061 The NS50F #220060 or #220061

This user has no status.

The 2004 NSR50 uses a POSH CDI For a 87-94 JDM NSR50 Application.......Which is also for a JDM 92-94 NS-1 I have one sitting in front of me.

This user has no status.

I had already found this person's site. The cdi unit does not appear plug compatable and without a wiring diagram I would not be able to connect it. I already have a cdi unit (unrestricted) that I cannot use for the same reason. From what I have been able to find out the NSR50 does indeed have a limiter built in. I saw a video on youtube and the tach stopped rather abruptly at about 12500 every time when rev'd at full throttle in neutral? In adition there are after market ignition (cdi) units for the NSR50 where they advertise that it removes the limitation. To be fair however I also came across some other sites where people claim to have NSR50s that rev unlimited. Who knows?? Thanks for the suggestion however. You guys have been very helpfull

Thanks again,

Bob Munden

Windsor, Ontario

To make a VERY long story short
    Quote Originally Posted by rob linders

NSR50 Parts

Good Luck,

rob

This user has no status.

Bob the posh CDI is the way to go.I gave you the part#. I dont think anyone can do anymore..........

This user has no status.

That sounds like the one I have. Does it have two 4 prong plugs-ins on it? Mine also has the designation "GT4" then under that "TL-35" on the other end from wherere the plug-ins are located. Do you have a wiring diagram as to what prong goes to what locationn on the bike? If so I'd sure like to see the diagram. Could save me a lot of money.

Bob Munden

Quote Originally Posted by culdesac
    The 2004 NSR50 uses a POSH CDI For a 87-94 JDM NSR50 Application.......Which is also for a JDM 92-94 NS-1 I have one sitting in front of me.

This user has no status.

[quote name='culdesac']CF Posh CDI.. #220060 or #220061 checked the catalog these are the two dan@honda50.com can get them.

This user has no status.

Wow! you guys are a wealth of information. I have with your advice found the CDI needed (a Posh) and have ordered it from one of your members in the U.S.A. Once it comes in and I've had a chance to test it I'll come back and let you know the results.

Thanks again.

Bob Munden

This user has no status.

Bob, sound VERY cool. Wish you the best on your endeavor! Keep us up to date.

~Shawn
    DESMINI 448R

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat
    What is the total distance of the coast to coast ride?
    I will be attempting SanDiego to Jacksonville. The distance Pacific to Atlantic is about 2375 miles. Coincidentally it is almost exactly the same distance as from the southernmost point to the northernmost point in the contiguous states. Key West, FL to Angle Inlet, MN. A ride I did (not on a 50cc) a few years ago. Took me almost 44 hours. I've found that the bike size alone doesn't matter very much on very long trips. It's how fast you stop rather than how fast you ride.

Bob Munden

Windsor, Ontario

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads