PlanetMinis Forums

Should A 150R W/ 14 & 12" Wheels Be Allowed To Race W/ Us?

This is a discussion on Should A 150R W/ 14 & 12" Wheels Be Allowed To Race W/ Us? within the Roost Area forums, part of the General Talk category; Originally Posted by mr.skywalker Thats cool, was just trying to get some friends into riding, most of them are pretty young and this would be ...

View Poll Results: Should a 150r with small wheels be allowed to race?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... its the pit bike class just race!

16 10.81%
  • No... it's NOT a pit bike, and shouldnt be allowed in the pit bike class.

121 81.76%
  • I dont really care either way... oh look, I found a skittle!

11 7.43%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Should A 150R W/ 14 & 12" Wheels Be Allowed To Race W/ Us?

Supporting Member
    is If ifs and ands were pots and
    pans, there'd be no work for
    tinkers' hands.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr.skywalker View Post
    Thats cool, was just trying to get some friends into riding, most of them are pretty young and this would be good way to keep them out of trouble.
    At last I hear the speech not of a boy,

But of a man. (Boris Godunov, Pushkin)

Supporting Member
    is If ifs and ands were pots and
    pans, there'd be no work for
    tinkers' hands.

Supporting Member

Someone needs to make a list of official rules for the different names of classes. I think pitbike should be thrown out the window bc it is still such a vague term, what caused so much confusion for me and im sure so many others
    Is that not enough? http://www.minimotosx.com/adult-classes/

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim View Post
    well the problem is that it doesnt cover terms like pitbike, minibike, playbike, etc. It covers specific classes like stock mod or 10 or 12 mod classes. Which these only apply for sanctioned events for "pitbikes"

is a slow rider on a fast bike

well the problem is that it doesnt cover terms like pitbike, minibike, playbike, etc. It covers specific classes like stock mod or 10 or 12 mod classes. Which these only apply for sanctioned events for "pitbikes"
    Your 150r is not a pitbike, mini bike, or playbike....it's a full-on MX bike so you would race it at a MX event, not a pitbike or mini race. You'd be up against other 85cc two strokes or other 150r's. A fully worked 250f can easily keep pace with a bone stock 450 IMHO, but you just don't see 450s racing in a 250 class do ya?

I don't see how you bitch about 110's flooding the 50 scene and don't get why people bitch about 150r racing 110s. FYI Honda 124s are every bit as fast as a big bore klx.... Even 108/106 hondas can keep up. The reason a 150r is not fair is because you can buy it off the floor that way. Stock LXR's are not that fast....that's why people don't complain about them. You still need to put a fair amount of work into them to be competetive.

Now if you had a 150f you could then race the playbike or 14/16" class which is very popular at "pitbike" events. You'd be running against drz/ttr125s and xr100 etc.

Now I'm in the same boat as you. I want a 150r to practice and condition on to preserve my full mod klx110. The 150r is ready to go and cheap to maintain and fix so I can go rip it up weekly. My klx on the other hand, I'm having a hard time sourcing just normal wear and tear items so I wanna keep it for raceday. I would never officially try to race a 150r in a pitbike class....

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    Your 150r is not a pitbike, mini bike, or playbike....it's a full-on MX bike so you would race it at a MX event, not a pitbike or mini race. You'd be up against other 85cc two strokes or other 150r's. A fully worked 250f can easily keep pace with a bone stock 450 IMHO, but you just don't see 450s racing in a 250 class do ya?

I don't see how you bitch about 110's flooding the 50 scene and don't get why people bitch about 150r racing 110s. FYI Honda 124s are every bit as fast as a big bore klx.... Even 108/106 hondas can keep up. The reason a 150r is not fair is because you can buy it off the floor that way. Stock LXR's are not that fast....that's why people don't complain about them. You still need to put a fair amount of work into them to be competetive.

Now if you had a 150f you could then race the playbike or 14/16" class which is very popular at "pitbike" events. You'd be running against drz/ttr125s and xr100 etc.

Now I'm in the same boat as you. I want a 150r to practice and condition on to preserve my full mod klx110. The 150r is ready to go and cheap to maintain and fix so I can go rip it up weekly. My klx on the other hand, I'm having a hard time sourcing just normal wear and tear items so I wanna keep it for raceday. I would never officially try to race a 150r in a pitbike class....

Well as far as the complaining about the 50 vs 110 vs 150r scene, i was just saying that the 110vs 50 is the same concept as the 150 vs 110. Its sort of a double standard, the 50 is where it started and then moved to 110s bc everyone started converting. I was thinking i was like the first guy to pull up with a 110 piss off the 50 riders, but then something happened and people converted. I thought maybe some would accept it, but apparently its an abomination.

well i think people over estimate how fast a 150r is, its not as much performance for the size as a 250f(steel valves, very short stroke, etc.) The bike that came in 1st was a bone stock lxr where the guy in 3rd was an extremely done up 110. The lxr would have taken first in both heats if the race wasnt only two laps bc he kept catching up and putting alot of pressure on me. I will see how it is when i race in practice against kenny but i think his lxr will destroy the 150r, my daytona 150 can keep up with it on the start, maybe 1 bike length back if i get to the top of 4th on the daytona. But ive learned my lesson

well might as well post a pic of the abomination

is Damn you winter it's just
    beginning and I want to ride!

Racing is racing if you know that your at an advantage and just want to be in there to bang bars and have fun then let it be known that you are not a factor in overall results or prize money. If there is option to run appropriate classes for everyone then hell ya if not you just got to suck it up and make the best of it for the sake of riding and having a good time

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson_8118 View Post
    Racing is racing if you know that your at an advantage and just want to be in there to bang bars and have fun then let it be known that you are not a factor in overall results or prize money. If there is option to run appropriate classes for everyone then hell ya if not you just got to suck it up and make the best of it for the sake of riding and having a good time
    I like that, thanks for not hatin. haha Quick question, would you guys be upset if i "raced", but didnt race for prize(trophy)? Id only race for fun, no scoring. I only ask bc i do want to bang bars, but we could make it clear that if you raced a 150 or any other small mx bike(65, 50, but if 85 had to have small wheels) it would be no reward for it, it would just be to get more on the gate, it would be a way to let more into the pitbike world without shelling out $3k+ on a bike that they may not even like. Id even give my trophy up that i have. And maybe if we had enough people do it we could eventually have our own separate class, like a playbike class

This user has no status.

Problem with racing w/o being scored is that if you're banging bars with somebody who is racing for position, and you guys get tangled up, or somebody crashes-- the person racing for position would probably be pissed.

I have a 150R as well, but I consider it a pit bike for big bike tracks. I ride it for fun and practice b/c it's fast, inexpensive, and comes ready to go suspensionwise right out of the box. It's an inexpensive alternative to practicing on an expensive, and hard to get parts for mod pit bike. I don't have an expensive pit bike myself, (I race a nearly stock 150F in the Vet pit bike classes as I mentioned before), but the 150F doesn't cut it on big bike tracks. It lacks the power and ground clearance to get around the rutted tracks we have here in Ohio.

You guys should have a 14/16 Stock and Open Classes. They've become hugely popular here, and those bigger trail bikes don't need as much cash outlay as a 12 or 10 inch mod bike does to make it work out. They really are fun to ride and race despite all the clamor about them not being pit bikes. IMO-- the cheaper you make the racing and bikes-- the better it is for the whole scene.

I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to classify the pit bike classes by wheel size, but it's the only motorsport I've ever heard of that doesn't classify the racing machine based on engine type or displacement. It's kinda dumb, but it is what it is. We're racing machines that are not meant to do what we do with them.

We've had guys race 12 inch open on 150R's, but they had to start at the concession stand, and run to the starting gate-- where the 150R's were facing backwards--haha! It was to handicap them against the 12 inch mod bikes. A guy on here-- Burch, either managed to beat the handicapped 150R's, or come close to it. In these parts, most of the serious racing is over with. The races are mostly good natured. We do have the Summit Indoor coming up-- that pays out cash, so that will be serious. Other than that-- not so much anymore. --L*64

is Riding the gravy train with
    biscuit wheels

Well as far as the complaining about the 50 vs 110 vs 150r scene, i was just saying that the 110vs 50 is the same concept as the 150 vs 110. Its sort of a double standard, the 50 is where it started and then moved to 110s bc everyone started converting. I was thinking i was like the first guy to pull up with a 110 piss off the 50 riders, but then something happened and people converted. I thought maybe some would accept it, but apparently its an abomination.

well i think people over estimate how fast a 150r is, its not as much performance for the size as a 250f(steel valves, very short stroke, etc.) The bike that came in 1st was a bone stock lxr where the guy in 3rd was an extremely done up 110. The lxr would have taken first in both heats if the race wasnt only two laps bc he kept catching up and putting alot of pressure on me. I will see how it is when i race in practice against kenny but i think his lxr will destroy the 150r, my daytona 150 can keep up with it on the start, maybe 1 bike length back if i get to the top of 4th on the daytona. But ive learned my lesson

Huh, at first glance it looks like a Polini 50 (without the blue plastics).

is letting your hate, motivate :)

The bottom of the boot...where we tap it twice ;)

This isn't an abomination.... surprised you know what that means but can't figure out what a pit bike is lol. You know what 50s and 110s have in common? Let me list it for you again: OPEN CRADLE FRAME, HORIZONTAL AIR COOLED ENGINE, 12" or less wheels...etc. You CAN NOT compare a 150r to a 110 PERIOD. ITS NOT A PITBIKE!!! Don't you find it weird that all of a sudden your pulling hole shots and battling for the lead? Im not gonna list the specs of the 150 again because you know them. You need to man up and build a pit bike to race PITBIKES. Everyone on the line has took a slower, smaller bike and built it up to compete. Your riding a production race bike, and the only thing u did was change wheels.

I like that, thanks for not hatin. haha Quick question, would you guys be upset if i "raced", but didnt race for prize(trophy)? Id only race for fun, no scoring. I only ask bc i do want to bang bars, but we could make it clear that if you raced a 150 or any other small mx bike(65, 50, but if 85 had to have small wheels) it would be no reward for it, it would just be to get more on the gate, it would be a way to let more into the pitbike world without shelling out $3k+ on a bike that they may not even like. Id even give my trophy up that i have. And maybe if we had enough people do it we could eventually have our own separate class, like a playbi

I'm not hating... TRUST ME. I, and we, built our bikes. A 9 year old in Japan built yours. You wanna race for fun, fine... race the 85 class. I don't care where you ride for practice, and I assure you you will get to see how it stacks up next time I see you at the track.... but as for a Pitbike race BRING A PITBIKE. I'm beginning to think your just trolling me to get a reply out of me, and its working. I'm getting tired of hearing about it, and I'm about to stop trying to be nice about this.

Way back before the pit bike scene was what it is around here, we started building them and racing them. People caught on and more friends started buying and building pitbikes. My suggestion to you if you wanna races this thing is to find some friends and y'all all build your freaks bikes. Get enough to have a class and they will let you race. Quit trying to change the rules for yourself. You didn't like your full mod because it was as slow as a stocker.... I know it because I raced it remember? It was nowhere close to being as fast as a normal "full mod". It was clapped out and we both know it, and that's why you don't like it. I'm sure you do love riding a bike that is much longer and has more room to move around lol... but ITS NOT A PITBIKE. And don't give me this crap about not wanting to spend 3k on a bike that u may not like... cause you sure took a gamble on that 150r. The pit bike rules were hers before you, and will remain long after your gone. Stop trying to fight it... build a full mod PITBIKE and come race.

This user has no status.

Im not trying to bring it up for discussion, i know the differences. I was asking before i did it this time, and wont if its not ok with everyone. I would race the 85 class but they wouldnt let me bc im too old, there are age limits. And like i said, it would be a way of starting a new class. Also i was thinking we.could make two pitbike classes, stock and mod bc i think alot of stock bikes that were at the race were not even racing, so if you want the scene to grow, make it fair. Id rather discuss all this in person.

is Big Gulps..Huh... Well See you
    later........

Quote Originally Posted by Special~K View Post
    Way back before the pit bike scene was what it is around here, we started building them and racing them. People caught on and more friends started buying and building potholes. My suggestion to you if you wanna racs this thing is to find some friends and y'all all build your freaks bikes. Get enough to have a class and they will let you race. Quit trying to change the rules for yourself. You didn't like your full mod because it was as slow as a stocker.... I know it because I raced it remember? It was nowhere close to being as fast as a normal "full mod". It was clapped out and we both know it, and that's why you don't like it. I'm sure you do love riding a bike that is much longer and has more room to move around lol... but ITS NOT A PITBIKE. And don't give me this crap about not wanting to spend 3k on a bike that u may not like... cause you sure took a gamble on that 150r. The pit bike rules were hers before you, and will remain long after your gone. Stop trying to fight it... build a full mod PITBIKE and come race.

That sounds like a mixture of "Ferrge and Jesus".

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Special~K View Post
    Way back before the pit bike scene was what it is around here, we started building them and racing them. People caught on and more friends started buying and building potholes. My suggestion to you if you wanna racs this thing is to find some friends and y'all all build your freaks bikes. Get enough to have a class and they will let you race. Quit trying to change the rules for yourself. You didn't like your full mod because it was as slow as a stocker.... I know it because I raced it remember? It was nowhere close to being as fast as a normal "full mod". It was clapped out and we both know it, and that's why you don't like it. I'm sure you do love riding a bike that is much longer and has more room to move around lol... but ITS NOT A PITBIKE. And don't give me this crap about not wanting to spend 3k on a bike that u may not like... cause you sure took a gamble on that 150r. The pit bike rules were hers before you, and will remain long after your gone. Stop trying to fight it... build a full mod PITBIKE and come race.
    well that was when i first built it, i got it MUCH faster before i sold it. and im not trying to change the rules, just start a new class.

Im not trying to bring it up for discussion, i know the differences. I was asking before i did it this time, and wont if its not ok with everyone. I would race the 85 class but they wouldnt let me bc im too old, there are age limits. And like i said, it would be a way of starting a new class. Also i was thinking we.could make two pitbike classes, stock and mod bc i think alot of stock bikes that were at the race were not even racing, so if you want the scene to grow, make it fair. Id rather discuss all this in person.

The promoters are not gonna split a 8 bike class into two 4 bike classes... the "Pitbike" class is, and has always been an open Pitbike class. We all built our bikes to compete bin THAT class. Its that simple.... and nobody has bitches yet about full mods, because that's what MOST of us are on. And fyi bigot beat by a kid on a 143 stock mod a while back so don't give that mess. Again, thisbisnt about who wins, its about you bring a race bike with small wheels to a pit bike race. The pit bike scene is, and has been growing here just fine. Lets not destroy that with non pit bikes being allow to race PITBIKES.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Ads