Yamaha Chappy questions!

PlanetMinis Forums

Yamaha Chappy questions!

This is a discussion on Yamaha Chappy questions! within the Scooter Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; hello all! late last summer i picked up a 76 yamaha chappy 80cc. its in decent shape,has 3000 miles on it but hasnt ran in ...

This user has no status.

Yamaha Chappy questions!

hello all!

late last summer i picked up a 76 yamaha chappy 80cc. its in decent shape,has 3000 miles on it but hasnt ran in a few years. last fall i tore the carb apart and rebuilt it, dumped some gas in the gas tank and then the petcock was leaking gas like a siv. so thats where i left it basically. finally the nice weather got here and i started to lay into it a little more. im still searching for the correct petcock on ebay (seems to be the only place to find parts for chappies)

the kick starter shaft is currently stripped out. i found one on ebay for 15$ so i ordered that last night. i have a title for the bike and would like to be able to take this 2 speed auto on the streets! does anyone have any stories about replacing the kick started shaft (the shaft that the kick start bolts onto) im not the most amazing mechanic but i think that it wouldnt be too crazy to replace. i know after replacing the petcock,i can push start it but i dont want that to be the only way to be able to start it.
    i put the bike in gear and spun the back tire and could hear proper combustion in the motor (well it sounded normal to me! haha)

any info or tips or stories on someone who has had one of these things would be great! if it turns out the motor is junk or something,im going to put a 125cc Lifan motor in it. i have no idea how much it would cost but i feel either way i look at it,it will be a sweet little summer project!

This user has no status.

Hi MN50, I'm new 2 planetminis, jus joined 2day in search of sum info for my 80 chappy 2, I also have a 1980 chappy lb 50. since I've had it, I've had sooo many problems w/it. it started w/a fuel leak, turned out 2 be a fuel valve, if ya take he 2 lil screws that hold the selector lever in ya'l see a small rubber washer w/4 holes in it. this part often cracks due to sitting 4 a long time. it happened 2 mine 2, I replaced it & it was good as new. go 2 boats.net, they have sum genuine Yamaha chappy parts.I got that valve there, as well as a few other parts. as for the k/s, my scoot didn't have 1, so I got 1 from ebay, it came from Thailand, paid 10$ for it, 15 2 ship it & took 2 wks 2 get here! was the biggest piece of junk on the scoot! the pedal rounded off the stop on the lever & the pedal is bout 45 degrees from straight back! I hope ya don't make the same mistake as me! I know they're hard 2 find as Yamaha stopped making em yrs ago. hope this helps ya out-------2smoke

Sponsored Links