1980 chappy piston conundrum

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on 1980 chappy piston conundrum within the Scooter Forum forums, part of the General Talk category; Hi Gang, I am new to the neighborhood & am looking 4 sum advisement from you ped heads. I am the not-so-proud owner of a ...

This user has no status.

Hi Gang, I am new to the neighborhood & am looking 4 sum advisement from you ped heads. I am the not-so-proud owner of a 1980 chappy lb50. sum1 gave it 2 me awile back & finally got a chance 2 play w/it. Well got it runnin a couple wks ago (it has 4500 mi on the clock) but not 2 gr8, so I figured I'd give the ol girl a massage, I fitted a pollini big-bore kit (50-70cc), a puch 'o' ring hi-comp head, a mikuni vm18 & a giannelli pipe 2 it. but after numerous jetting changes ( idle jets from 30-40 & mains from 70-95) & 1001 combinations, still couldn't get it 2 run like its supposed 2. so I sought out the xperts from another 4rum (b4 I found planetminis of course) I hooked up w/a chappy genius over there who said I had the piston in backwards! when I put in the pollini piston, I put it in the same way as the stocker came out, w/the piston ports facing the xhaust! he said that sum1 had that top end apart b4 & put the piston back in the bore 180* off! & so did I! Is this the case? I didn't even think the engine would even run w/no ports 4 the fuel/air mix 2 get in2 the combustion chamber! but he said it would run, but not 2 its full potential? so go ez on me, chappys r a new animal 2 me, I also own a 1981 Yamaha YZ 250 that I never had 2 take the piston outta, cuz I certainly woulda remembered that! Thanks Guys & Gals-------2smoke

This user has no status.

Hi Guys & Gals OK, forget bout the piston problem, it's all good, had the scoot out the other nite & it SCREEEAAAMS! I had the speedo up 2 40mph! but w/the bigger wheels & tires on it (went from a 10'' chappy rim 2 a 14'' mx80 rim) I was told that the speedo is wrong & I was goin even faster than that! my question is, do ne of you guys know approx. by how much? I am faced w/swappin out the speedo gears in the wheel, putting on a cheap bicycle speedo, or strappin my gps on it 4 now, which I think I'm gonna do jus 2 get a ballpark figure. Was also thinkin if swappin out the 32 tooth rear sprocket 4 a 36 or 37t for a lil less speed & a touch more power cuz it takes awile 2 get in2 the powrband after the tranny shifts in2 2nd gear(it's a 2 range 2 speed auto trans) does anybody know where I can find 1? I'm havin 1 helluva time findin 1 w/the correct bolt pattern! Oh 1 more thing, my kid was shootin a vid, & he says I was doin more like 50 when I blew by him! Thanks evry1-------2smoke

Sponsored Links