PlanetMinis Forums banner

My 1980 Honda XR 80 rebuild

27K views 162 replies 21 participants last post by  Crappie Master 
#1 ·
I have $330 in the bike. Don't let the looks of the bike fool you, it really needs a lot of work. I have completely disassembled the bike. I'm removing paint from the frame and other parts now. I'll post pics of what I've done so far tomorrow and tell you what parts I've already ordered.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

See less See more
#4 ·
Bicycle motocross Bmx bike Auto part Bicycle part

Finally got all paint removed from frame. I used three cans of aircraft paint remover and 12 medium rough steel wool pads. The paint remover took off 90% of the paint, but what it didn't remove was very difficult to remove with the steel wool. If I restore another bike I will have the frame and all the other parts sand blasted. I'm going to use Dupli-color prep spray, self etching primer and engine enamel color DE1632(I read on this site it's pretty close to Honda red). I bought a exhaust on EBay that is in very good shape for about $100. It has no dents and almost no rust. I also got some nice used triple clamps and motor mounts on eBay.

#10 ·
Suspension part Coil spring Shock absorber Auto part Suspension
Took shocks apart and cleaned them up. I think they look good, so no new shocks. Now time to finish removing paint from swing arm and engine mount brackets. These should be the last parts to be painted red. I think I've decided on cleaning up original air filter box and painting it. I was thinking about just going with a UNI filter. Antique tool

#14 ·
I've learned my wheels are CR 80 too. It's a bit of a problem. XR rear wheel sprockets get bolted on from inside of brake hub. The CR 80 rear sprocket gets bolted on from the outside. The sprockets nuts were rubbing against rear swing arm. I may get a XR wheel hub.

#18 ·
There may not be "market value" but there is definitely vintage and worthwhile value in doing what you are doing. I love the older bikes with the flatter frame design and older two shock suspension. But, that is cause old guys like old stuff and like to see it revitalized for younger folks enjoyment and historical value.- Bobby E.

#19 ·
I plan to sell the bike when i'm done restoring it. I'm just going to try to sell it for what i got in it. I think i can finish it with about $800 in it. If everything goes well this project I'm thinking the next bike will be like a XR 75, Z50 or a early CRF( 70-125 hp)

#20 ·
Bmx bike Bicycle motocross Vehicle

Automotive exterior Auto part Suspension Vehicle Fictional character

Fictional character Vehicle

Swing arm and triple clamp put back on bike. Ordered new grommets for bike yesterday. I guess next thing is to do is polish up forks. I got a inner fender off eBay. It came yesterday. Haven't taken it out of box yet, but it looked to be in a lot better shaper than the one that was on bike. It was badly dis colored and melted.

#24 · (Edited)
Tire Bicycle part Wheel Automotive tire Spoke

Tire Spoke Rim Automotive tire Wheel

Well i have two problems! I can not get the spokes to clean up an shine. There is some rust on the rims, but not so bad to replace them. I guess i will take wheel apart and paint hubs black and replace the spokes. I might as wheel get the correct rear hub. The one i have is from a CR 80. The sprocket bolts were rubbing against the inside of the swing arm. I'm also preparing air cleaner box for some primer and black paint.

#26 ·
If you're interested, I will sell you the complete wheels off the bike pictured below. The wheels are originally off a '74 XR75, but they will fit all years of XR75's and XR80's up through '84. I spared no cost on them. The hubs and rims were powder-coated black then relaced with new spokes. I also installed new bearings and new tires that have less than a dozen races in dirt only. I upgraded the bike with XR100 wheels last summer and don't really have a use for these wheels now. If you're interested, send me a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.