81 XR80 Ignition Questions

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on 81 XR80 Ignition Questions within the Vintage Honda XR75 and JDM Vertical Motors forums, part of the General Talk category; Recently bought this XR80 to use as a pitbike and putt around on. In fair condition overall. It runs but not well at all. I ...

This user has no status.

Recently bought this XR80 to use as a pitbike and putt around on. In fair condition overall.

It runs but not well at all. I set the timing as best as I can with a digital Ohm meter but I don't think things are right with the points. This Ohm meter I have also has a built in buzz box.

In order to get any kind of fluctuation in the meter when adjusting the timing I have the meter on 20K. This the only setting I get any kind of indication that the points are opening and closing and even that is really sketchy. On that buzz box setting, the buzzer stays on all the time points open or closed. I'm wondering if I have a short in the single stator wire or the points are grounding out. Shouldn't the buzz turn off when the points open? I know for a fact the points are opening and closing.

I've never had a bike with ignition points. I understand how it works but I have no experience troubleshooting a points type ignition.

Also, the condenser is mounted, actually riveted to the coil. Should I change that condenser? All the ones I see for sale are not this same type and I would have to rig something up to replace.

Somebody help me out!!! I don't see much traffic on this site and I really hope somebody sees this!!!

Thanks,
    Dan

This user has no status.

Buzz should not turn off but must differ in sound when points open.
    Set points to recommended point gap and check with a timing light. All the other methods are bulls**t.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	178937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	178945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	178953

Should (when points are allright and all the setting is done) the points start firing, you have to replace the condenser with something matching. F.e.: Condenser Centre for 1980 Honda XR 80 A | eBay

Also check float level height - 0.85in - and pilot jet. There must be light when looking all through the length of the jet.
    Valve tappet clearence is important too. Set it to 0.002in.

Alex
    Last edited by dirtbkr188; 07-30-2016 at 06:59 AM.

is XR75 & YZ80 NUT!

I've always gotten the best results using a test lamp method, the lamp should be bright as you turn the flywheel until the f mark lines up with the index mark showing the points are opening. the bulb should go dim at that point showing a break in the circuit & correct ignition timing.Adjust points until bulb goes dim at that mark. My experience with that method has given the bike a showroom idle...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by UTBMXCruiser View Post
    Somebody help me out!!! I don't see much traffic on this site and I really hope somebody sees this!!!
    Did YOU see?

This user has no status.

The ignition advance springs may be elongated/stretched as well in the mechanical advance as well.

Ignition components on these bikes are all NLA, I made due with a 6V Z50R coil and mounted the condenser to the coil.

Sponsored Links