PlanetMinis Forums

Lifan 125 Engine in Z50 Questions

This is a discussion on Lifan 125 Engine in Z50 Questions within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; I just bought a lifan 125 motor for my z, I got it mounted up but need some help to get it finished. Has anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Lifan 125 Engine in Z50 Questions

I just bought a lifan 125 motor for my z, I got it mounted up but need some help to get it finished. Has anyone done this on here? Looks like I'll need a clutch perch/cable, carb/filter, pipe, and some way to hook up the different electrical connections. Are any of those stock parts usable or no? Thanks

This user has no status.

Oof... better deal to buy the whole kit. You bought the standard shift? I just did my 125 lifan install, but I bought the whole kit with 4 speed auto for $300 shipped to my door. Had everything I needed with the exception of the exhaust.

You'll need a bigger carb for sure, and that will take a bigger k&N type of filter (tb.com has them pretty cheap), and if the CDI and coil didn't come with, I would buy the better unit. If you look at IGNITION COIL the one you should need is on the top left. These guys are on ebay, and have everything lifan if you want to use ebay to purchase. They have the CDI and carb, clutch, throttle cable, throtle... everything you need. I got my whole kit in about 3 working days.

For exhaust I HIGHLY recommend the Trail Bikes exhaust with optional baffle. So much more quiet than my 69, but a bit louder than my 82 was stock. You take out the baffle and it sounds like a Harley. Well, kinda like a harley. It's certainly loud and sounds cool, but the neighborhood will throw a fit.

Honda Trail Bikes

and on my bike.

This user has no status.

Thanks for the info, and nice bike. What did you do with your forks? I bought just the engine for $240, i didnt see the kit for sale. What size carb should I go with?

Thanks

is Your Ford is better? My Honda
    pulls 10's and still gets 30
    MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by 69z50 View Post
    Oof... better deal to buy the whole kit. You bought the standard shift? I just did my 125 lifan install, but I bought the whole kit with 4 speed auto for $300 shipped to my door. Had everything I needed with the exception of the exhaust.

You'll need a bigger carb for sure, and that will take a bigger k&N type of filter (tb.com has them pretty cheap), and if the CDI and coil didn't come with, I would buy the better unit. If you look at IGNITION COIL the one you should need is on the top left. These guys are on ebay, and have everything lifan if you want to use ebay to purchase. They have the CDI and carb, clutch, throttle cable, throtle... everything you need. I got my whole kit in about 3 working days.

For exhaust I HIGHLY recommend the Trail Bikes exhaust with optional baffle. So much more quiet than my 69, but a bit louder than my 82 was stock. You take out the baffle and it sounds like a Harley. Well, kinda like a harley. It's certainly loud and sounds cool, but the neighborhood will throw a fit.

Honda Trail Bikes

and on my bike.

That is the cleanest 80's Z I have ever seen. Very, very nice work!
    If a mini is considered an iron pony, and an pony is relatively half the size of a horse. Does that mean it only has .5 Horsepower?

This user has no status.

The carb that comes with the kit is a 22mm with matching intake.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

THe forks are the fast50.com chromo fork extensions with hd springs and had the powder coated, with the fast50 triple tree with riser and super bars.

Thanks, guys... it was fun to build.

This user has no status.

Hey man where did you buy that whole engine kit from? Thanks and sweet bike. I really want to get mine going again soon.

This user has no status.

This is the direct link to the whole set eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Or you can buy from them on their website that I put in my first post for the ignition coil.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by 69z50 View Post

Honda Trail Bikes

and on my bike.

Anyone know what swingarm this is?

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Patric View Post
    I just bought a lifan 125 motor for my z, I got it mounted up but need some help to get it finished. Has anyone done this on here? Looks like I'll need a clutch perch/cable, carb/filter, pipe, and some way to hook up the different electrical connections. Are any of those stock parts usable or no? Thanks
    I did this swap and nothing was reused from the 50. I purchased a pit bike with a lifan 125 and it had everything I needed for the swap and it almost all bolted on except for the petcock which was in the way of the carb. The exhaust also had to be modified to fit the z.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20130703_231617.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	611.7 KB 
ID:	119306  

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by larrynsr View Post
    I did this swap and nothing was reused from the 50. I purchased a pit bike with a lifan 125 and it had everything I needed for the swap and it almost all bolted on except for the petcock which was in the way of the carb. The exhaust also had to be modified to fit the z.
    Does the front of the engine touch the back of the front fender? If you use the +1 forks does that space it out far enough?

is stashing ammo

I had this exact setup. The top 2 head nuts just cleared the fender... Super close though. Any difference in your frame/forks, etc and it will more than likely be fine.

-HFM

This user has no status.

Very close!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20130710_205444.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	529.0 KB 
ID:	119733

This user has no status.

So does the lifan 125 bolt right up to z50?

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDancer View Post
    So does the lifan 125 bolt right up to z50?
    Yep

This user has no status.

What about the pegs n mount?
    Is there not any pet cock carb interference?
    Toooooo many mini bikes
    84z50, 91z50r, 95z50r, 91 & 99z50r apart, xr50, 2-xr70s, 03xr100, 08 hayabusa
    1999 & 2000 Jincheng Pandas stock n street legal....
    2 - 2013 skyteam flashback Red & black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads