PlanetMinis Forums

Z50A Carburetor Float Level

This is a discussion on Z50A Carburetor Float Level within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am cleaning up my Honda 50 for sale and have a problem that I hope some ...

This user has no status.

Z50A Carburetor Float Level

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0731.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	835.5 KB 
ID:	102620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0733.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	850.9 KB 
ID:	102621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0735.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	835.6 KB 
ID:	102622
    Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am cleaning up my Honda 50 for sale and have a problem that I hope some of you experts can help with. The mini is a 1971 Z50A, I think it is specifically a Z50AK2. I removed the carburetor bowl to check for sediment and junk. It was amazingly clean considering the age. However, when I removed the bowl the needle valve fell out. I put the valve back in pointed end up and spring end agaisnt the float lever. After reinstalling the carb I don't get any flow of gas into the carb. I checked the line, and the inlet port and there are no obstructions. In fact without the bowl in place and gas runs down freely but as soon as the bowl is raised up to the seated position the gas flow stops. I can't see any way I could have misassembled the float and valve but if there is a way I usaully find it. But if that is not the case I wonder if the little tab on the float got bent. Can anyone tell me what the measurement for float level on this model carb should be? I don't see any numbers on the carb just Z50II. As I understand the float level is measured from the bowl/carb seating surface to the bottom of the float at the point where the float tab just contacts the needle valve. Sorry if my words are wrong this is the first carb I have worked on but I sure would appreciate so guidance. Thanks and I am amazed there are this many enthusiasts for these old minis.

Randy B
    Last edited by Randy B; 12-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.

is ridin' lil Z's & CT's

18mm with the float hanging straight down, tang just touching the valve pin. Looks like you may have the float upside down. I could be wrong but, try it.
    Very nice looking Z. Is it repainted? If it's original, that little bike is $!! The seat and tail/ fender assembly are worth a lot.
    There are hard tail Z guys here that would love to have it. I can't but, I am encouraging you to offer it for sale here first.
    Welcome, you've come to the right place for answers.

DGA
    is finished second in the
    championship, woo hoo!

There is a retainer spring missing, this holds the needle to the float and it won't come out with that in place. Having said that, you don't really need it. Always check float level with the carb UPSIDE DOWN. Generally the float, or the seam on the float should be level when just sitting.

This user has no status.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the float again to make sure it is not upside down but I thought it could not be mis-installed. The mini is original just like its owner - me. There are a few dings in the paint but overall it is in great shape. I will set the float to 18mm and let you know on the out come.

This user has no status.

I could have easily lost the spring but I don't see a spring in the replacement parts which include the valve port and needle valve. I am adjusting he carb upside down and will try to set the float level as you suggest. Thanks for the help.

This user has no status.

All better now

Thanks for the help DGA and 1ez50. I finally got a chance to adjust the float level to 18mm or leveled using the stain marks on the float (same). Put it back together and it started on the first kick. The small tab on the float which contacts the valve must have gotten slight bent in my effort to reassemble - the float can not be installed backwards. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0736.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	793.0 KB 
ID:	102964  

Ads