PlanetMinis Forums banner

69 Silver Tag Hardtail Resto-Mod Project

10K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  Schimmelaw 
#1 ·
Since proper introductions have been made (thanks for the kind welcome guys!), its time to start a build thread I guess. Photos of the day I brought this lil nasty basdar# home and just a little disassembly. Pictures speak for themselves. WHAT A POS! Other than the obvious problems: abuse, nastiness, bondo, leaks, grime, dirt, neglect, rot, rust, checking, grand-pa welds, bends and breaks, jerry rigging, the license plate bracket is fubar, there is triangle shaped steel brace welded at the backbone and first frame downtube and the fork stop is wanked. Just a few of the surprises along the way. Oh theres more too. I just can't make myself put them all up here at once. Too depressing. Let just start with these. Rick

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
More pics. 1st: what appeared to be a good rim until I broke it down. 2nd: bent tail section. 3rd: fore mentioned tail-light bracket (note grandpa's weld). 3rd and 4th: Now I know why the axle wouldn't come out. Never seen lining separate from metal like that. Linings got "caddy-wom-pas" in the hub and jammed everything up. Took an air hammer to get front axle out. Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Rim
Chair Furniture Table Folding chair Wood
Pink Joint Hand Finger Flesh
Antique tool Metal
Auto part

#7 · (Edited)
tmas - current plans - disassemble, clean and sandblast for starters. Rathole some funds for a few parts here and there. Rock Metal Mineral
Auto part Soil Engine Vehicle Scrap
No firm idea of eventual outcome. Silver frame for sure, high bars and street tires. Every thing else is pending. danz50 - not discouraged or scared. A little at a time and have some fun with the build. Tblumer - my craigslist find pictures looked good too. After the two hour drive and the price, I wasn't going to let a little rust stand in my way. It was going home with me. Surprise surprise. Oh well it will be fun. 1ez50 - Nice fab work. Original plan called for no tail light anyway. I'm not shooting for street legal. Something clean/cool/striped/barebones. Nice bikes you got there. STUPID QUESTION - cant get "enter" to work to start a new paragraph, is this common or is my computer F'd? Anyways, a couple of nasty pictures and I promise no more. A couple that show that there is some hope after all. Auto part Muffler
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Bicycle drivetrain part Vehicle
Computer puts my pictures way out of order and where ever it wants to in my post. Sorry for that. This is going to drive me crazy. QUESTION - 5 picture max? Again sorry for the disjointedness of the post. Rick

Attachments

#10 ·
Along w/ Simple Green, I keep PB Blaster, carb/brake cleaner and engine degreaser handy. Auto part
Material property Hand Tire Automotive tire Label
Getting close to the point where I'm not dealing w/ nasty/grimey/greasey parts anymore. Most of them have been removed and cleaned. Few components left, but getting close to putting up the disassembly/cleaning supplies. Rick

#15 ·
Fixing rear hub threads. PO had a combination of different bolts holding the rim to the hub. All of them the wrong size. All rusted out. Some cross-threaded. Lets fix this. 1st photo tapping the hub w/ the Heli-coil kit supplied tap. 2nd photo is setting the heli-coil w/ the kit supplied tool. You can see how the coils fit below flush in the this picture. Three is the back side view before tangs are busted off. Coils fit perfectly in hub. They don't protrude into brake shoe area and they sit just below the surface on wheel side. 4 and 5 are just preliminary mock up (and because everybody likes pictures). Gone are the original ill fitting, rusted-up, mixed sized standard thread bolts that had been there to some nice fitting stainless 8x1.25 allens.
Rick

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks Davmo. Its the little details I find interesting/fun on these rebuilds. Thinking outside the box and having some fun. Would love to make it out to your next weekend moto throwdown. Looks like a lot of fun.

Dav mac, thanks. Sizes are 3.50 x 8 both front and back. Heidenu K75. Cool mini bike street tread design. Fork assembly is a future post with pics.

A few more.

Attachments

#27 ·
Thanks Davmo. Its the little details I find interesting/fun on these rebuilds. Thinking outside the box and having some fun. Would love to make it out to your next weekend moto throwdown. Looks like a lot of fun.
Hey man, absolutely! We are always looking for other mini enthusiasts. Should I forget to throw an invitation your way, consider this an invitation when you see the next one announced. It would be great to see this bike in person!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.