Which Front Forks - CT70 Rebuild?? Spend my money

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on Which Front Forks - CT70 Rebuild?? Spend my money within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; I'm rebuilding a '72 CT70. Motor by Enzo, Pro paint yada yada. Anyway - It looks like I need new front shocks as both seem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which Front Forks - CT70 Rebuild?? Spend my money

This user has no status.

I'm rebuilding a '72 CT70. Motor by Enzo, Pro paint yada yada. Anyway - It looks like I need new front shocks as both seem to be bent. Anyway, I'm deciding between an updated front end with disc brakes or aftermarket "stock" units. I have to say I'm really starting to like the looks of the updated inverted units. So the question is - which set? I'm looking for a bolt on / no-mods / works with a stock front fender option thats good quality. This bike won't see much off road use. Its primary purpose is a Pit bike while I'm at the race track.

Soo spend my money and make up my mind for me - what are the best options?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by slvr993; 11-27-2014 at 12:57 PM.

is Moderator in training?

I always hated the look of the '72 front end so I'm not much help. Chinese disc front ends are decent, but for looks I love the k0 front end. Add Daytona dampened fork legs and they perform too.

This user has no status.

None of the chinese front ends will have the stock fender "bolt on" you gotta enlarge the holes quite a bit or redrill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    None of the chinese front ends will have the stock fender "bolt on" you gotta enlarge the holes quite a bit or redrill.

Love your bike! Do you have a detailed thread about it's build? I would love hearing about your experience with all those trick parts.

This user has no status.

Do a trailbuddy 30mm fork set with agras billet triples. You can go disc or non-disc and retain your stock front wheel. Here is a set of them on my bike: Fatcaaat's "nice" Ct70 Updated Pics

thats obviously an aftermarket wheel, but you can use the stock setup and either go drum or disc depending on the hub you choose. You can get the leg for drum or disc.
    Last edited by fatcaaat; 12-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.

This user has no status.

The ones from Classic Honda look nice, although for $300 they probably leave a lot to be desired. Plus, they come with a disc brake.

Has anyone used this front end or heard anything a out it?

This user has no status.

no build thread I was far too lazy to do one, there was a ton of parts put on it though.

1975 CT70 - YX160, extended swinger, shocks, inverted forks, 12inch rims with 120 front 130 rear, Disc Brakes
    07 Motorvert Pro frame - YX200, Custom Exhaust, 255mm Front Disc with Radial Caliper, Marzocchi Forks, Elka Rear Shock, 12 inch PMT Slicks
    Backup B Bike - 110cc, 10 inch PMT Slicks

This user has no status.

Where did you source most of the parts?

Those forks, swingarm, and rear brakes look like the ones from ebay. How do you like them?

This user has no status.

I am wanting to do a fork upgrade on both my '70s as well, so figured instead of doing a new topic this one is as good as ever to discuss it. There seems to be a few setups for sale out there, so I would like to talk about the differences in them.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat View Post
    Do a trailbuddy 30mm fork set with agras billet triples.
    Trailbuddy has a few kits listed for sale on their website. Let's start at the bottom.

First they have a 30mm Fork with disc brake setup, comes with lower triple tree and steering stem. DOES NOT include top triple plate or steering head bearings. This kit is listed for $200, and OUT OF STOCK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0024.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	153612

Next they have a 30mm fork with disc brake setup that comes complete with triple tree including billet CNC top plate. DOES NOT include steering head bearings. It does however have built in/factory looking headlight mounting ears. This kit is listed for $280, and OUT OF STOCK.

Name:	CT70_Disc_Brake_Fork_Kit_1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	153613

Manufacturer on both of those kits is listed as Trail Buddy Inc.... Not sure that they are making the components themselves, I can only assume they are assembling chinese parts and grouping it together?

Lastly, Trailbuddy has listed the CNC Upside Down Fork and Disc Brake assembly. The manufacture is listed as SkyTeam. Comes with steering head bearings. This is listed for $315, and OUT OF STOCK.

Name:	100_4304.JPG 
Views:	1222 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	153614

So basically, everything at Trailbuddy is listed as OUT OF STOCK. Some of them state "ETA 01/14"... obviously, their site is pretty out dated, which leaves you to wonder how long you'd be stuck waiting if you decided on one of their kits.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip View Post
    The ones from Classic Honda look nice, although for $300 they probably leave a lot to be desired. Plus, they come with a disc brake.

Has anyone used this front end or heard anything a out it?
    Onto CHP... their kit looks nearly identical to the Skyteam manufactured kit that Trailbuddy sells. The only difference I can see is in the wheel mounting. The CHP kit uses a standard aluminum plate, versus the Skyteam kit that has a OEM looking hub style wheel mount. The CHP kit is listed for $299.

Name:	C204.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	153615

Next, we have the Upside Down Fork and Disc Brake kits that are on Ebay, from seller dr.ct70-411help. His kits look identical to the SkyTeam kits. They have the OEM looking hub style wheel mount. They come with the steering head bearings. They actually have them in stock in different colors. They are listed for $325/free shipping.

Name:	$T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oVcDBQsl2c(WkQ~~60_1.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	153616

Last but not least is a 30mm fork and disc brake setup sold by Daxdodo (Daxdodo) There isn't any information posted on their website about this kit, so I actually have an email into them asking them details, I'll post an update if and when I receive it. What I can tell from looking at it, the forks on this kit look similar to the 30mm forks TrailBuddy sells. The disc brake setup however looks much nicer, with a twin piston BREMBO caliper and a nice looking brake rotor. It also comes with the complete triple tree setup with steering head bearings and a top plate. Finally, it looks to have either a speedo cable or a brake line that comes with it, hard to make out which exactly it is though. This kit is listed for $276, and if you go part way through the checkout process it's $73 shipping to the US but also is listed out of stock (it will still let you order it though). Anyone ever bought parts from daxdodo.com?

In my opinion, the ebay kit seems like the best deal. I'm waiting to hear back from daxdodo, I do like the looks of the brakes on their setup. Does anyone have any information to add on any of these kits? Do the chinese Upside Down fork kits ride any better or worse then the traditional style Forks?

This user has no status.

Oh, and since I could only attach 5 images at once... here is a pic of the daxdodo setup....

Name:	daxfrontfork30mm.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	153617

is Rocking a 88cc DOHC on 8's

I put Honda forks off a 1992 version on my 1974 dax.. brought the legs and top plate and it all bolted straight upto the stock lowers clamps.

Pitviking and bigredx7 like this.
    20plus

Fifty Riders

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by eichkay View Post
    I put Honda forks off a 1992 version on my 1974 dax.. brought the legs and top plate and it all bolted straight upto the stock lowers clamps.

Awesome looking bike!!

Ok so 1972+ had hydraulic fork. I assume much nicer ride then the pogo stick spring forks of my '70? Is there any particular year range of factory hydraulic forks that are better then the others?

is Rocking a 88cc DOHC on 8's

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    Awesome looking bike!!

Ok so 1972+ had hydraulic fork. I assume much nicer ride then the pogo stick spring forks of my '70? Is there any particular year range of factory hydraulic forks that are better then the others?
    I dont know, I just remember seeing the USA got CT70's in 1992-1994 area and thats the part numbers I looked up and order. wasnt too keen on the USD forks on the dax's and didnt want some cheap no name front end on the bike.
    20plus

Fifty Riders

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    Last but not least is a 30mm fork and disc brake setup sold by Daxdodo (Daxdodo) There isn't any information posted on their website about this kit, so I actually have an email into them asking them details, I'll post an update if and when I receive it. What I can tell from looking at it, the forks on this kit look similar to the 30mm forks TrailBuddy sells. The disc brake setup however looks much nicer, with a twin piston BREMBO caliper and a nice looking brake rotor. It also comes with the complete triple tree setup with steering head bearings and a top plate. Finally, it looks to have either a speedo cable or a brake line that comes with it, hard to make out which exactly it is though. This kit is listed for $276, and if you go part way through the checkout process it's $73 shipping to the US but also is listed out of stock (it will still let you order it though). Anyone ever bought parts from daxdodo.com?

In my opinion, the ebay kit seems like the best deal. I'm waiting to hear back from daxdodo, I do like the looks of the brakes on their setup. Does anyone have any information to add on any of these kits? Do the chinese Upside Down fork kits ride any better or worse then the traditional style Forks?
    Just wanted to give an update in case anyone was curious. I emailed DaxDodo asking numerous questions, and didn't receive much of a response. Based off of this, I'm going to pass up looking at them as a viable option.

My email...

Hello I am interested in the DAX 30mm Front Fork and Disc Brake setup for sale on your website. There isn't much info posted on the website so I was hoping you could answer some questions for me.

Who is the manufacture of the forks? Is that a real Brembo brake caliper that comes with it? Is it a Brembo brake disc as well? Does it also come with the brake master cylinder, lever, and line? Finally, does this kit come with a speedo gear and speedo cable?
    And the reply back I got....

Full chinese parts and quality, no Brembo

Met vriendelijke groet, kind regards,

Matthijs Fokkens
    Not much of a reply. Still didn't answer the majority of questions I had. I emailed him back asking again what else was included and I have yet to receive a response.

This user has no status.

Just curious..im in the same situation....rebuilding...front forks are bent..
    My question...is the ride quality for street/trail really a big improvement going with aftermarket inverted?? (i really like the look also).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links