Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done - Page 3

PlanetMinis Forums

Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done

This is a discussion on Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; I got my rear axle and sprocket carrier finally sorted and I was able to complete the wheels and brake hangers. It is very close ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done

This user has no status.

I got my rear axle and sprocket carrier finally sorted and I was able to complete the wheels and brake hangers. It is very close now. All I need to do is put the brake lines and throttle and sort the shift linkage and I can test ride it. Sure is comfortable on the seating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1705.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	197721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1706.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	197729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1707.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	197737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1708.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	197745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	197753  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	197761  
    cbinvb and minishifter like this.

This user has no status.

Here is a compare shot...probably could have done some more, but the battery died on the phone when I was taking the pictures. Here you can see it next to a stock CT70 with the front axles lined up. You can see that the seat height is about the same and the bar height is only about 2 inches shorter. Wheelbase on the new bike is 52" It is extremely comfortable to sit on...surprisingly so actually.

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	197769  

This user has no status.

Looks great. Love it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Wow! Great pix. Awesome to see it side by side. I was picturing a much bigger bike. Totally shocked. Love it
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

This user has no status.

Gettin real close. Post a pic of the leveled out stance once you have it.

This user has no status.

Here's the final assembly of the rearsets and linkages. I did a custom linkage for shifting since the one that came with was pure garbage. Instead I got myself some 3/8" 6061 aluminum rod, turned the ends in the lathe and threaded them, and then added a heim joint to both sides with an adjuster nut. Now I have adjustability to put the lever up and down about an inch in either direction depending on my need. I'll finish this out with some finishing hardware, but the mockup and spacers are done here and it works perfect.

ON the brake side, i'm using the stock 250r master that needed a little modification to the body to clear the mounts. I also had to cut the length of the threaded extender down. I'll use a nice remote billet reservior with stainless braided line when it's done.

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	199353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1725.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	199361  

This user has no status.

The bike is now nearly complete in the first rideable mockup version. All the wiring is completed and 95% of all fabrication is completed. I still have to finish the battery box, mount a horn, add some additional brackets for the rear fender, and make up an ignition switch mount. Also have to put the center stand on it, but that is a direct mount from original so hoping it is pretty straight forward. For wiring, I'm going to take the wiring harness back out and clean it up by removing connectors in place of soldered connections.

It runs perfect and sits very nice. I did manage to ride it just a tiny bit as the roads were covered with water today and it was about 34 degrees so I didn't go much with it. And since it only has a front brake currently connected, I did not want to have to pull hard on the brake and have an incident in the wet.

I'll probably clean up the harness while the bike is still in this form, and do a few other metal work before it is completely broken down for powdercoat. I intend on keeping the color scheme as it sits, but also have a non-chrome tank in the mail that I may paint a vintage honda color. I also have a brat style seat coming that will be direct swappable.

Name:	IMG_1726.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	199369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1727.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	199377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1728.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	199385  
    loopiemclooperson likes this.

This user has no status.

Lookin sharp. Top notch build as always. Are you going high or low on the front fender?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

I was able to get on it today and give it a few passes in the neighborhood and then took it out onto an adjecent roadway. I had it running pretty fast in 5th...probably close to redline and then into 6th but needed to slow down. bike is pretty solid and stable. Needs to have a few things dialed in and such. It's fast...faster than any mini I have in my stable...faster than my trp176cc honda CT70. That is certain.

I will say for sure I will be putting a front fender on it and will probably fabricate up a back splash guard as a permanent fixture before powder.

This user has no status.

That's a good lookin bike fatcaaat. Nice work. How's the size of the bike. How does it 'feel" compared to your CT70's? Slightly bigger? A lot bigger? Still feel like a mini?

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by kirrbby View Post
    That's a good lookin bike fatcaaat. Nice work. How's the size of the bike. How does it 'feel" compared to your CT70's? Slightly bigger? A lot bigger? Still feel like a mini?
    Well, i haven't had enough seat time, but I guess I could offer a bit of a comment to it. Seat height, it is the same as a stock ct70 and actually 1" shorter than two of my CT's as configured. Lengthwise, the wheel base is much larger at 51" The bike is well centered and low to the ground so it seems to handle well for the little I've ridden it. It is very comfortable. Sits exactly like a stock Norton Commando with better hand position. You are mostly on your butt with maybe 5% of your weight on your wrists.

The CRF230 is not rev up super fast, but it has a huge flywheel and crank since it is a woods bike. So it idles low and consistent and is really easy off throttle. Since the engine has had some work, with a pipe and a rejet, and a diet of about 60lbs over stock, that engine moves this little bike pretty quick.

time will tell, but I think this bike will be a great all around fun bike.

Now the bigger question...is this a mini? I'm not sure. The Honda CL125 in original form? Is that a mini? I probably would say "yes." Since it is basically the same bike as a CL100 and CB100...why not..just a 125 engine. The bike is physically shorter and a little longer than a stock CL100...so still mini. The wheels are actually 16", whereas the stocks are either 17 or 18"...so still a mini. The forks are how shorter....so still a mini. But what makes it hard to call a mini, I suppose, is the powerplant. A mildly worked CRF230 engine is clearly NOT from a mini. But really, if you consider a Honda CB100 a mini, than this bike is a mini.

Physically it is smaller than a CT110....about the same physically as a Honda CL70 or Honda S90 but with 5x the power.

is When minibikes are outlawed,
    only outlaws will have
    minibikes. You can have mine
    soon as you pry my cold dead
    fingers off it.

very nice!

This user has no status.

"Mini"? I'm not so convinced pal...

Why does it even matter though? The bike is sick, not another like it in the world. I really wanna see this thing in action

This user has no status.

I think today I'm going to rewire the bike connections and clean up the harness. Once that is completed there's really not more to do to the bike other than break it down and get the cosmetics completed.

CBINVB, I'm making an executive decision on this...I'm classifying it as a mini. Other than the motor, everything else falls into the realm of mini. Since it is physically the same size as a CL70 and weighs only a little more than a CT110, I am calling it a mini.

This user has no status.

Mini it is.
    I was asking about that, because I was curious...And because of the end goals you set back around post #1. I've been following with interest, because I think we all are interested in a better, faster mini. A better, faster motorcycle...Well those are available

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links