Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done - Page 5

PlanetMinis Forums

Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done

This is a discussion on Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Can't wait to see pics of it outside. I am a big fan of the vertical 2 valve engines, and this one found a perfect ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fatcaaat CL125 build thread. First vertical engine build i have done

This user has no status.

Can't wait to see pics of it outside. I am a big fan of the vertical 2 valve engines, and this one found a perfect home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat View Post

If given the choice between this and something more modern like a Grom, I bet that most people would choose this after riding the two.
    Since the beginning of this year I own a genuine honda ape50. Amazing how fast you can take a speedbump without thinking you are wrestling a bronco(standard monkey chassis).
    If only honda would bring out a 125 or stronger version of the ape50/100.

The more recent D(eluxe) version has already the wheels and brakes of the nsf100.
    (My 2002 has the original steel wheels and drumbrakes.)

ps. I have not ridden the grom but I have been sitting on it. I like the seating position of the ape better.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by nielspbr View Post
    Since the beginning of this year I own a genuine honda ape50. Amazing how fast you can take a speedbump without thinking you are wrestling a bronco(standard monkey chassis).
    If only honda would bring out a 125 or stronger version of the ape50/100.

The more recent D(eluxe) version has already the wheels and brakes of the nsf100.
    (My 2002 has the original steel wheels and drumbrakes.)

ps. I have not ridden the grom but I have been sitting on it. I like the seating position of the ape better.
    I have ridden CBINVB's Lifan Pony 100 which is about the same size as an APE...and his setup is not too bad for comfort. I wouldn't call it cramped for me at 5'9" but the upsweep on the back seat pushes me a little more forward than I would like to be. The same thing happens with smaller bikes like the XR80, sl70...that upsweep seat design brings you closer to the tank, and I don't find that comfortable.

With an APE100, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just drop a honda XR200 engine in there...it should fit but you might need to make the front downtube detachable, like I did on my project. Rather than spend 1000's of dollars to upgrade the motor and make something like a 146cc out of it, you can spend about 150 for core and rebuild for about 400-500 more and have 20hp, 6 speeds, and no need for an oil cooler with xr200 engine.

I have a complete xr200 engine core here and all the parts to rebuild it. The plan all along was to do another project and I have been eyeballing bikes with the frame size of Ape...xr80, xl75, or even an actual Ape frame setup. I'd have to do a lot to the rear section of frame to keep me from having upsweep in the back. The best scenario will be to find another CL or CB 100/125 frame and work from there. I could put 14" wheels on it and it would be perfectly fine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

As promised here are the outside sun shots. It was nice here today, so I took it out at lunchtime to grab a few pictures. Still have not moved those two wires, but those are the only items left before I call it complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	205537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	205545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1826.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	205553  

This user has no status.

Other side pictures...

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	205569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1829.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	205577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1827.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	205561  
    Tweakin likes this.

This user has no status.

Couple of close up or misc shots

Name:	IMG_1831.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	205585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1832.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	205593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1833.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	205601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1834.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	205609  

This user has no status.

Final Build Sheet

Frame: 1971 Honda CL125 Frame, detabbed, custom rear loop, and detachable front down tube
    Swinger: Homemade +3" over stock CL125
    Shocks: 3-way adjustable. Compression, Rebound, Preload in 320mm. Added 1" custom extender
    Forks: 650mm Fast Ace Rebound and Compression Adjust, 20wt oil.
    Trees: Gcraft Aprilia 125 trees, modified with Dax stem and bored upper diameter. Minimoto Clamps
    Levers: Cheap Chinese billet levers (will be replaced at some point)
    Wheels: 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250r wheels. Rear sprocket carrier milled narrow. 428 Sprocket conversion.
    Engine: 2005 Honda CRF230 with BBR 240 Kit, Webcam, portwork. Stock carb. K&N filter
    Exhaust: Homemade using the stock CRF230 header and fabbing stepped exhaust to 1.5" 17" reverse cone
    Bars: Renthal CRF150 tall with 4" rise and 2" pullback
    Brakes: Brembo 2-pot front and rear from Ducati. Rear mount is Ducati modified, front is custom. Custom Stainless lines.
    Rear Sets: These are billet generics from ebay. They have 12 adjustable positions.
    Tank: CG125 tank purchased from aliexpress in 9L
    Seat: CG125 cafe seat purchased from aliexpress
    Electronics: Stock CRF230F harness spliced to power everything. Stock CDI. Trailtech full-wave rectifier. USB Charger.
    Stator: Ricky Stator 150W conversion
    Battery: Antigravity 4-cell ballistic battery
    Headlight: 6" daylight 45/35 LED.

All in, cheaper than a new Grom!

This user has no status.

That's pretty damn awesome man. Such a unique build. If you ever get a chance, pix next to other bikes would be sweet. Especially a grom.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

This user has no status.

Really turned out nice,sorta reminds me of the bike I saw in an English magazine last year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda_zpsboa8ahtm.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	205617

This user has no status.

If we get some sun, i'll post a few pictures. Next to a stock ct70 and next to a ct110. I don't have a CL70 sitting here at the moment. Might be interesting to put it next to my Norton Commando.
    66Cooper likes this.

This user has no status.

I did end up taking this bike out for a real ride yesterday....75miles total without getting off the bike. From a comfort standpoint, I am very happy. I was not fatigued after the ride at all which means that I can probably use this bike for an all day ride if I wanted. The bike is smooth on the road, handles great, is mostly vibration free in that I had no hand tingling at all during the ride. It does run a little warm, but I assume that is because the engine is not broken in yet. I have not run it over 6k yet but after the next ride I'll start running it much harder.

The only issue I have encountered is that I get some low frequency white noise in my helmet when sitting on the seat. I'm going to try and correct this with some different techniques.

I'm already thinking about a few upgrades/improvements. I'm going to add a set of LED fog lamps off the headlight brackets to increase vision for night riding. I'm going to add in a toggle switch to toggle the USB port power for charging the battery vs devices.
    lkhangee likes this.

This user has no status.

We took this bike and a built CT70 down to Bikes and Breakfast in Clifton and unbeknownst to us both of them made the cut for photos that day VA Photos - Bikes and Breakfast - April 9th

Coolest build in the garage other than the blue bike. Lets drag the two of them at some point.

As promised here are the outside sun shots.
    Also, JJ Abrams called, he said it needs more lens flare.
    Last edited by cbinvb; 04-15-2017 at 03:34 PM.

This user has no status.

This turned out great! Cool little bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat View Post
    Other side pictures...

This user has no status.

I've now logged 250 miles on this bike and have started putting it through the paces. It handles awesome and the suspension is really dialed in the way I want it. The brakes are also quick to bring this to a stop.

I'd say the only thing I have to deal with is the hard starting when cold. I believe that I need a bigger pilot in there.

The other day, I had a Ducati Monster in front of me on my regular test loop. I caught up to him and a car in front of him on a stretch of about 3 miles of really twisty and hilly roadway. The good news is that the car in front turned off right when it starts, so I had a chance to see how it would do. We're talking twisties with posted speed limits of 35, very narrow two lane roads. Well, the ducati couldn't shake me as I could really get this small bike through those turns well into the mid 50's. On the straights, he obviously opened up gaps, but on those narrow turns, he was only able to do maybe 40. At the end of the run, we met at a traffic light where he gave me a thumbs up. Now granted, I don't think he was the best rider in the world, but neither am I. But on that road, his extra 80 horsepower was useless.
    kirrbby, nielspbr and davmo like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links