Holes in handlebar ? - Page 2

PlanetMinis Forums

Holes in handlebar ?

This is a discussion on Holes in handlebar ? within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Here's the left handle bar lower hole. Your previous pictures show the location of the light switch mount, and sheathing upper hole....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Holes in handlebar ?

This user has no status.

Here's the left handle bar lower hole. Your previous pictures show the location of the light switch mount, and sheathing upper hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170105_151121.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	198674  

This user has no status.

ah.....come to think of it, I wouldn't write that bar off as being non OEM. It seems it was acquired to replace the broken bar. It may be a 68 K0 bar. The K0s didn't have a headlight, therefore there would be no need for the holes. Kirby?

This user has no status.

The 68 K0 bars have NO holes at all on the left side, just the brake lever perch.

I'm really thinkin that if you have a new bar with no holes, it must be the wrong bar for your bike. Not only is it missing the holes, but the bends will be different than you right bar. You might want to mount it up to see how it's gonna look on the bike before you modify it. You might have to buy a pair, if you want a MATCHING pair.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by kirrbby View Post
    The 68 K0 bars have NO holes at all on the left side, just the brake lever perch.

I'm really thinkin that if you have a new bar with no holes, it must be the wrong bar for your bike. Not only is it missing the holes, but the bends will be different than you right bar. You might want to mount it up to see how it's gonna look on the bike before you modify it. You might have to buy a pair, if you want a MATCHING pair.
    I appreciate the photo showing the location of the lower hole, this should be straight forward enough to replicate.

Is here danger of this fouling the handle bar/headlamp when folded for transport?

Here is a photo of the bar installed on the bike. I think I posted this photo earlier. From the angle of the photo the shape looks right. Next time I am at the bike I will look more closely before I fire up the drill press.

Thanks again, you chaps are really helping me out here.

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB_no hole.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	198682  

This user has no status.

Doh! I guess I'm not following along very well. That bar DOES look correct, BUT it's actually a K0 bar. The K0 bars are pretty valuable, and hard to find in good condition. You could likely sell it for A pretty good dollar if it's nice.

But if you'll give me a while I'll post up some pics and info for where to put the holes to match your right bar. Should look something like this.

This user has no status.

Cool....figured it was a K0.....it does match his right bar seemingly well. Agreed on that being a valuable bar.....the po assembled some nice parts.

This user has no status.

That's 134mm and 8x15mm
    110mm and 10mm
    3.5mm hole straight thru the bar should locate the 10mm on the top of the bar.
    The exit hole should match the height and location as the one on your right bar. I don't know how to get a location for you on that one, especially since my example is a bent bar. HTH

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kirrbby; 01-05-2017 at 07:32 PM.

This user has no status.

Best I can do to get you close. 73mm near as I can tell.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by z50nut View Post
    Cool....figured it was a K0.....it does match his right bar seemingly well. Agreed on that being a valuable bar.....the po assembled some nice parts.
    Ya, if that left bar is in new condition, I'm gonna cry a little bit when you drill it. I once sold a nos right K0 bar for $100. I thought that was cheap for a right. But a left should be worth 2-3 X that amount to a guy who needs one. Good Lefts are rare.

This user has no status.

Kirby, you've got a lot of parts...he's gonna need and ignition, harness and various other stuff before all is said an done. Some trading for the benefit of both of you might make sense. You've gotta have a good K1 left bar

This user has no status.

No good Z50 bars. Even the ones on my bikes are crooked. lol

I would advise Derrington to sell his spares and buy new K1 parts for his bike. Matching pair of new Honda bars, new K1 rear fender, repop harness and switch...$350 or so.

Nice K2 rear fender, nice used K1 TL bracket, nice K0 L side bar...$600 or so. The extra $250 will buy a lifetime of gasoline for that bike

I think I have a good original wire harness, couple crappy switches maybe.

This user has no status.

Might be best to inventory everything before making any moves

This user has no status.

Good morning chaps,
    This information of the holes placement is dynamite! Thanks to you both, Z50nut & kirbby.

I respect your opinions which of course is why posted here in the first place. I truly appreciate the lesson in economics, and do understand well that my bike as a whole is less value than the sum of its parts.

So to be clear what I understand is the photo of my installed handlebars, (LH & RH) shows a K0 configuration, correct? To put it right I should change both bars, RH&LH. or is the shape of a K0&K1 bar the same?
    The photo Z50nut shows of the LH bar is K1correct, yes?
    The photo kirrbby shows is of a K1 configuration but different & acceptable to that of Z50nut,correct?

I can put off sorting the handlebar as I concentrate on re assembling & achieving an ambulatory bike. In the mean time I need to know what to look for. Later on I will be able to sort the 'desirable' parts as I see fit.

This simple bike rehabilitation project has changed scope significantly. I am not perturbed, and as a professional project manager I am very familiar with 'scope creep' .
    I will do anything in my power to prevent kirrbby from shedding tears.

Back to you chaps

Bruce
    kirrbby likes this.

This user has no status.

The shape of both bars is likely the same between K0 and K1. The K1 bar I show is a new OEM Honda bar....and yes they changed the hole at some point. Kirby's photo is also a K1 bar and also correct. In essence, both are correct. Your left does create a dilemma in that you could probably get significant dough for it if you so choose. My point relative to sorting it all out first is basic economics. Even just rehabbing these little bikes gets costly. Given some of what you have in value, you may be able to offset or eliminate some of the cost. Whatever you do, make it fun.

This user has no status.

Ya, I think your bike would have bars just like the ones in my pic...post #20. Your right bar is correct, you would just need the matching left. The left will be hard to find in good condition tho. That's why I would recommend just buying a new pair...Not 100% period correct for a 100 point resto, but pretty dang good for every other situation. Even to put a new left, like the one z50nut pictured, next to your original right, would be OK IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links