Holes in handlebar ? - Page 3

PlanetMinis Forums

Holes in handlebar ?

This is a discussion on Holes in handlebar ? within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Agreed on the above.....and for the record (but not to confuse matters further) The bar on my bike, was Honda issued OEM with the same ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Holes in handlebar ?

This user has no status.

Agreed on the above.....and for the record (but not to confuse matters further) The bar on my bike, was Honda issued OEM with the same part number as the original. The right bar, which is not pictured was also new Honda OEM, has the throttle cable exit at 9:00, not 6:00, like Kirby's bar pictured. The net of this, and confirmed by the guys at NEVC, was that Honda, for whatever reason, moved the holes around at some point.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by z50nut View Post
    Agreed on the above.....and for the record (but not to confuse matters further) The bar on my bike, was Honda issued OEM with the same part number as the original. The right bar, which is not pictured was also new Honda OEM, has the throttle cable exit at 9:00, not 6:00, like Kirby's bar pictured. The net of this, and confirmed by the guys at NEVC, was that Honda, for whatever reason, moved the holes around at some point.
    OK I like the moving holes around theory and this will cover me as I move on with this bike rehab.

One last 'idea', don't shoot me fellows but ....................

there is a butt ugly hole in the rear of the headlamp bowl. I show this below and kirrbby photo also shows this. I there an available switch that I can install in this hole to erase the need for the switch holes in the bar?

This switch idea is whacky I am sure and is just what happens between the 1st & 2nd cups of coffee.

I do believe when I get to it, I will buy a set of new bars and swap over the bits. How does one remove the existing grips? Hot water & pull?

Thanks again for letting me tap into your bank of knowledge.

Bruce

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH_headlamp_sw.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	198921

This user has no status.

What you are referring to is typically called the useless hole. There is a small black rubber cap that covers it. I've never seen a switch mounted there, but it is possible.
    The throttle side grip is a pliable material. At room temp you should be able to work it off. The left is harder material. I usually insert a small pointed awl in between the grip and the bar, and work it as far down as possible. I shoot some wd40 in, and twist it off. You could do the same on the throttle side as necessary. Best to do this at room temp or above.

Bill

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

There is a switch that goes in that hole in a different bike. PC50 or PA50 or something. It may be used on a bike that was only sold overseas. I'm not completely sure what the switch actually does. It may be the off/run switch for the engine as well as the headlight.
    I have one here. I don't really know what it's worth tho, and it would need a wire soldered back on.

Derrington likes this.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrington View Post
    OK I like the moving holes around theory and this will cover me as I move on with this bike rehab.

One last 'idea', don't shoot me fellows but ....................

there is a butt ugly hole in the rear of the headlamp bowl. I show this below and kirrbby photo also shows this. I there an available switch that I can install in this hole to erase the need for the switch holes in the bar?

This switch idea is whacky I am sure and is just what happens between the 1st & 2nd cups of coffee.

I do believe when I get to it, I will buy a set of new bars and swap over the bits. How does one remove the existing grips? Hot water & pull?

Thanks again for letting me tap into your bank of knowledge.

Bruce

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH_headlamp_sw.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	198921
    The left handlebar switch is for the HI/LOW beam, which you may not need if you limit your highway travels and try not to blind oncoming traffic. The actual headlight function is built into the ignition switch on your frame. Turn one click, and the ignition is on. Turn another click and the lights operate.

Whenever you get a good harness, just jumper the low or high beam circuit (your choice) to eliminate the need for switch in your un holey handlebar.

This user has no status.

[QUOTE=kirrbby;2155705]There is a switch that goes in that hole in a different bike. PC50 or PA50 or something. It may be used on a bike that was only sold overseas. I'm not completely sure what the switch actually does. It may be the off/run switch for the engine as well as the headlight.

Kirby
    You are a wealth of knowledge. Looking at the quantity of wires at that switch leads me to agree with you that this is a 'main' switch that controls pretty much everything on the bike.

Perhaps my idea was not so whacky ...............................

B

This user has no status.

Holes in handlebar ?

I think I'd go with this instead...

This user has no status.

Ummmm? trailwing,

The sensible approach, who would have thought of that?

You of course are absolutely correct, and keeping it simple is probably the wise way to go.

Thanks for the wake up call

Bruce

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links