Holes in handlebar ?

PlanetMinis Forums

Holes in handlebar ?

This is a discussion on Holes in handlebar ? within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; New owner, received the bike in bits etc. I have an old left hand handlebar that was bent and welded and a new one that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Holes in handlebar ?

This user has no status.

Holes in handlebar ?

New owner, received the bike in bits etc.
    I have an old left hand handlebar that was bent and welded and a new one that is on the bike.
    The old one has a couple of 'wires' tie wrapped to it. One is quite easy, light switch the other is a mystery.

So does one drill holes in the new handlebar to accept the light switch? I think yes. The other hole in the handle bar, near grip, was not used so should the wires be internal to the handle bar or tie wrapped on the outside?
    What is second set of wires?

Thanks in advance

B
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB-1_sw.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	198114

This user has no status.

The old bar is wrong. The new bar should have 3 holes, plus a small screw hole inside the perch for mounting the switch. Switch mounts in the hole on top near the hand grip.

Wires go into a rubber grommet that goes in the hole underside of the bar near the grip.

Wires exit thru a hole that's either in the middle section of the bar, or near the bottom of the bar. The exit hole needs a grommet too.

Then the screw and washer go thru the underside of the perch and into the switch.

The second wire on your old bar is a mystery.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by kirrbby View Post
    The old bar is wrong. The new bar should have 3 holes, plus a small screw hole inside the perch for mounting the switch. Switch mounts in the hole on top near the hand grip.

Wires go into a rubber grommet that goes in the hole underside of the bar near the grip.

Wires exit thru a hole that's either in the middle section of the bar, or near the bottom of the bar. The exit hole needs a grommet too.

Then the screw and washer go thru the underside of the perch and into the switch.

The second wire on your old bar is a mystery.
    This is great information.
    I will transfer the holes of the old bar over to the 'new' bar and run the wires inside the bar.

Are these grommets similar to the RH handle bar for accelerator cable? Where can I buy these?

I have read a bit about these bikes and am curious why the concern about sleeve color (black versus grey) if the wires are inside the bar?

Thanks again

B

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrington View Post
    This is great information.
    I will transfer the holes of the old bar over to the 'new' bar.

B
    Holes in 'old bar'

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB_hole sw.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	198162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB_hole wire.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	198170  

This user has no status.

You are looking for grommet part number 17911023000, still readily available. Gray is the correct color for the sheathing, and it is exposed at various points of routing. Why is color important you ask?....because vintage Honda guys are obsessive.

This user has no status.

You also asked about buying grommets....your local Honda dealer....also Vintage Honda suppliers......hondanuts.com, hondaminitrail.com, beatricecycle.com.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by z50nut View Post
    You are looking for grommet part number 17911023000, still readily available. Gray is the correct color for the sheathing, and it is exposed at various points of routing. Why is color important you ask?....because vintage Honda guys are obsessive.
    Thanks or this information, LOL about some owners being anal ..............

obsessive I am not but I will try to use the bits I have before buying new. I intend this to be a hobby not a mission .

B

This user has no status.

I suspect the original handlebar broke at the lower hole? (see below) hence the weld?
    Is there a correct location for this hole? Can you post a photo showing this?

TIA

Bruce

Name:	HB_hole weld.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	198457  

This user has no status.

That bar appears to be an original part. The weld covers the original exit hole for the head light wiring. The hole in that location created a weak spot on the bars and hence the damage. As I was restoring the bike in my avatar, I noted two left style OEM Honda handle bars. One version with the exit hole as in your bar, and a second version with the exit hole in the lower rear of the bar. Which is correct?.....I'm told both by some excellent resources at NEVC, Hondanuts. Let me know if you aren't following me here.

This user has no status.

As I was restoring the bike in my avatar, I noted two left style OEM Honda handle bars. One version with the exit hole as in your bar, and a second version with the exit hole in the lower rear of the bar. Which is correct?.....I'm told both by some excellent resources at NEVC, Hondanuts. Let me know if you aren't following me here.
    Yes the broken handle bar due to the hole being there makes sense to me
    Ummm? not completely following you, my fault not yours.

I will need to drill holes & slots in my 'new' bar so I do want to do this 'less wrong' as possible.
    I try to see the location of this hole, (round I suspect?) from photos posted on the web. Not easy as many photos don't show this 'boring' part of the bike very well

Back to you

Bruce

This user has no status.

Okay, let's start here. The hole for the entry wire sheathing at the top of your bar is correct on either version. These weren't round holes, they were elongated to accommodate the sheathing and the appropriate grommet. I will take a picture of mine as necessary and post so that you will see the exit hole location. I am a bit confused though as to why you are drilling holes in your new bar. These bars were manufactured with the holes present. Could you post a picture of your new bar? No drilling should be required.

This user has no status.

The original bars had a oblong shaped hole midway down the bar. The new, genuine Honda bars have the exit hole way down at the bottom. If you're having to drill these holes, they're not round. I'll try to post up some pics and info later today. If you buy grommets you could get measurements from them too.

The light mount hole in the top of the bar IS round. The grommet holes are not.

I'm sorry, I was misunderstanding you before. I. Thought it was the old bar that was without holes.

This user has no status.

Could you post a picture of your new bar? No drilling should be required.

@z50nut
    I will post photo of my 'new' bar however this won't be 'til next week. The bar is installed on the bike and the bike s north of the city at county place.

@kirrbby
    No need to apologize, I am the rookie here and I am probably asking questions too often and unclear at that.

Perhaps you are correct and my 'new' handle bar does have holes but I did not notice them? In any event next time I am at the bike I will have a vey good look. I look forward to your photos.

The 2 bits I show below, anything to do with handle bar? The chrome strap/ring is the correct diameter to fit handlebar the chrome 'ferrule' I have no idea.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Name:	HB_odd-sod1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	198530  

This user has no status.

If the new bar is OEM, I'd bet it's all set to go. Regarding the above, likely a non oem rear view mirror bracket.

This user has no status.

If the new bar is OEM, I'd bet it's all set to go. Regarding the above, likely a non oem rear view mirror bracket.
    OK I found a photo of the bike (below) and this shows an absence of holes.
    Damn, I guess not OEM but at least it is not broken.
    No worries, I am a mechanical guy and adding holes correctly should not pose too great a challenge.
    I will wait for photos from you guys for correct location, and in the mean time buy some grommets to establish the correct size.

I think you are spot on about these shiny odd bits, in one of the tubs of parts I have I did see a rear view mirror. FWIW this mirror will stay in the tub!

Once again you are the best!

Bruce

Name:	HB_no hole.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	198538  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links