Xl70 / Grom build - Page 2

PlanetMinis Forums

Xl70 / Grom build

This is a discussion on Xl70 / Grom build within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Originally Posted by geezer I love this build Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Comments like that keep me going... Got a little further....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Xl70 / Grom build

This user has no status.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170122_232920.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	837.6 KB 
ID:	200417
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I love this build
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Comments like that keep me going... Got a little further.
    Last edited by mojomoto; 01-23-2017 at 03:46 PM.

is Ride this

Name:	IMG_0614.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	638.5 KB 
ID:	200514

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mojomoto likes this.
    Ride on the edge

This user has no status.

That looks pretty good there. You should do a rear fender bobbed like the style on a bobbed norton commando. Look that up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat View Post
    That looks pretty good there. You should do a rear fender bobbed like the style on a bobbed norton commando. Look that up.
    I agree. The super open front wheel would look better matched with a more open rear.

This user has no status.

Wow! Really coming together. Looks great. I think you can hack a lot off that fender and even use the license plate for a little more protection if needed...if you are mounting up there.

Your comment on the weight got me thinking. My boss recently became obsessed with a CB cafe bike. Has never seen one in person and with little to no research, we were driving to pick up a minter 650. A real beauty BUT it's a tank. He rides a bmw (barely) nineT and was after something smaller/lighter to fling about with. BMW scares him a bit I think. The 650 probably weighs more then the BMW. Total fail on his part. Should have bought a 350-360. Not that a grom is a tank but I can only imagine how much more fun this bike will be, especially as it should handle similarly with suspension and brakes. It's brilliant
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post
    Wow! Really coming together. Looks great. I think you can hack a lot off that fender and even use the license plate for a little more protection if needed...if you are mounting up there.

Your comment on the weight got me thinking. My boss recently became obsessed with a CB cafe bike. Has never seen one in person and with little to no research, we were driving to pick up a minter 650. A real beauty BUT it's a tank. He rides a bmw (barely) nineT and was after something smaller/lighter to fling about with. BMW scares him a bit I think. The 650 probably weighs more then the BMW. Total fail on his part. Should have bought a 350-360. Not that a grom is a tank but I can only imagine how much more fun this bike will be, especially as it should handle similarly with suspension and brakes. It's brilliant
    Thanks! I think i just might do a shock mount side placed license plate. Brake light....?... must be small and bright. I live in a rural Minnesota town and cops are fairly cool here. I won't be running signals. not sure about a horn. Ill have a single bar end mirror. It will be legal enough....i hope.

My first street bike was a cb360 so.....i have a soft spot for them. Great little bike. Very clean and classic look..six speed transmission was nice too. ...and have owned cb350f cb500f.. cb550f.. cb350t.. cl350t... cb750.. cb450t..cl450t.. cb500t... out of the cb models Id have to say my favorite all around hands down was the cb550. Lightish, smooth, good for corners, good sound, tough and easy to find parts. Everyone gets hot over the cb750 but i found them to be tall heavy pigs and not all that quick. They may be historically significant, sure....but I've had my fill of them. JMO
    i had a 900cc boxer too....they are strangely really easy to drive. As soon as they get rolling the weight vanishes.
    Forgive my long message just to say.... Yeah...He should have got a 350-360.

got different bars and hand controls so....just like christmas!!!! Thanks for watching my progress.

This user has no status.

Name:	DSC06520.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	200529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06518.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	200537
    loopiemclooperson likes this.

This user has no status.

Name:	DSC06521.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	200545-

This user has no status.

Name:	My xl70 before.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	200666 Just wanted to send the before pic. Got the cush drive machined and put on. Its a snug fit with the swingarm, sprocket and wheel but it will be good. My vanity got the best of me though...I have a more narrow set of tires to put on it but this set looked so good. The counter sprocket is offset because of this vanity so i will be taking one for the team in finding out how .25+ further out on the input shaft will hold up on a Lifan.

Also did some research on some sort of pre made 3/4 tube splitters for the right front frame downtube. I was going to make some but i found out that some people customize bicycles and when they want to run a belt in stead of a chain they make the right rear section of the bike frame removable....lucky me. Found a company that makes the splitters and sent an email. They aren't cheap but...it will make engine removal a breeze. Should be worth every penny.

Google....Images...3/4 frame tube splitters.
    Last edited by mojomoto; 01-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.

This user has no status.

Name:	Pictures_Idyllic_TubeSplitter_15-02-07_02-01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	603.1 KB 
ID:	200674
    Here are the ones that Im checking into.

This user has no status.

Veery cool idea. That could easily be used for anyone trying to shoehorn a big crf motor into a little cb100 frame like Fatcaaat over here.
    mojomoto likes this.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by mojomoto View Post
    Building a xl70 custom...
    Putting Grom suspension and wheels on it.
    Just in case someone wants to give it a go themselves...Ill keep you updated in the parts and the work that will be required to do so.
    First of all...Im using an xl70 frame and i do believe a cl70 is very similar. Someone out there please correct me if i am wrong.

The stock swingarm is too short and narrow for a Grom wheel so i did some digging and investigating and found that a Honda ST90 swingarm fits very well. The id width (at the rear axle adjusters) of the swingarm is 7 and 9/16 and a stock Grom is 9 and 1/8 which is a difference of 1 and 9/16 inches. Yes....the left axle spacer and the brake bracket/spacer need to be machined down 25/32 of an inch to make it fit. Im waiting for parts in the mail and some warmer weather to play in my shop without freezing. (Minnesota)

Been looking at the triple clamp and so far my best option is to put the stock xl70 bearing post in the Grom lower clamp since the Grom races are bigger. Ill get the 4 inch grinder and grind the weld holding the post in and then press it out then....see what needs to be done.

If anyone has a better plan.... PM me.
    what part of Minnesota are you from?

This user has no status.

Glenwood...bout 12 miles south of Alexandria.

This user has no status.

Ordered the frame splitters this morning...Got a new seat the other day and will be working on the offset sprocket next. Ill have fresh pics soon.

This user has no status.

Name:	DSC06524.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	201497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06523.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	201505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06522.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	201513
    Here are some new pics.
    Shortened the exhaust by two inches. Hung too far out the back for my taste.
    Cut down the rear fender to match the less is more look....just a rough cut so far.
    New seat was mounted. Its an sl70 seat and found out the shape of the pan is a bit different than the shape of an xl70. I prefer the sl seat so.... had to lower the rear frame loop about 3/8 of an inch and remove some mount tabs to clean up the look back there. Believe it or not I DID get things accomplished but as with most small changes its most noticeable by the person doing the work.
    The frame tube splitters came in and i need to order some brake lines.
    Last edited by mojomoto; 02-04-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links