Xl70 / Grom build

PlanetMinis Forums

Xl70 / Grom build

This is a discussion on Xl70 / Grom build within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; Building a xl70 custom... Putting Grom suspension and wheels on it. Just in case someone wants to give it a go themselves...Ill keep you updated ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Xl70 / Grom build

This user has no status.

Xl70 / Grom build

Building a xl70 custom...
    Putting Grom suspension and wheels on it.
    Just in case someone wants to give it a go themselves...Ill keep you updated in the parts and the work that will be required to do so.
    First of all...Im using an xl70 frame and i do believe a cl70 is very similar. Someone out there please correct me if i am wrong.

The stock swingarm is too short and narrow for a Grom wheel so i did some digging and investigating and found that a Honda ST90 swingarm fits very well. The id width (at the rear axle adjusters) of the swingarm is 7 and 9/16 and a stock Grom is 9 and 1/8 which is a difference of 1 and 9/16 inches. Yes....the left axle spacer and the brake bracket/spacer need to be machined down 25/32 of an inch to make it fit. Im waiting for parts in the mail and some warmer weather to play in my shop without freezing. (Minnesota)

Been looking at the triple clamp and so far my best option is to put the stock xl70 bearing post in the Grom lower clamp since the Grom races are bigger. Ill get the 4 inch grinder and grind the weld holding the post in and then press it out then....see what needs to be done.

If anyone has a better plan.... PM me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170115_085430.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	199386  
    Last edited by mojomoto; 01-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

I believe the CL70 frame is a stamped steel frame, like the CT70. The SL70 is a tubular steel frame, like the XL70 you are using.
    mojomoto likes this.
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

oh yes! SL....thats what i wanted to say.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

is Playing catch up like it was
    08 to a dying mini scene

Interesting
    mojomoto likes this.
    15 PIRANHA 190
    12 KLX110L
    05 DRZ110
    93 Z50R
    02 Z50R CLONE

is Fly for fun, paid to wait.

I'm looking forward to seeing this beast come together.
    mojomoto likes this.

This user has no status.

Loving it so far. What are you gonna do to power it?.

This user has no status.

Yeah, great build. PLease keep us posted. MORE PIX!!!
    mojomoto likes this.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

is I only do 2 things , Ride Dirt
    Bikes and Wanting to Ride Dirt
    bikes !!

cool
    Just got an XL70 frame /parts , wanting to build up soon
    mojomoto likes this.
    T Bolt USA - Let's go riding!

All the top Pit Bikes, Engines and Parts for Pit bikes & Minis! Let us know if we can help!

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - (704) T-BOLT-US - Skype: TBoltUSA

This user has no status.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170116_133439.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	199529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170116_133420.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	979.7 KB 
ID:	199537
    Here are a couple different views. It's got a good look going on.
    Machined the rear caliper holder to fit yesterday now I'm waiting for the delivery of some spacers. Ill be working on the cush drive today....got to take the studs out and turn it down so the chain will run true.
    The parts should arrive this week sometime then I can give some actual progress pics.
    Last edited by mojomoto; 01-16-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling...additional info
    swheels likes this.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by cbinvb View Post
    Loving it so far. What are you gonna do to power it?.
    Im thinking of a Piranha 150....or 140
    Im not looking for all out performance since I will be driving it on the street. Want a reliable 55mph without making the engine eat itself.

This user has no status.

I think this is a good build but it's going to have a small challenge aesthetically. Those longer front forks may end up choppering the bike, so you might need to be able to slide them up the trees a little bit. That should be pretty easy to accomplish. In the back, while the ST90 swinger fits, it may end up being a bit short. If you are planning on building a street bike here, you should consider strongly increasing the wheelbase as you may find you are a bit squirrely at speed on the stock wheelbase. Maybe something with 3-4 more inches like a CB100 swinger...that may fit in there.

Otherwise, this is a great platform to build something. Have you thought about a powersource for it? Why not a grom...would be a real easy engine to put in here since you can weld up some new mounting tabs and do a cradle mount as well. I do know that the larger chinese midblocks do not fit in here without first taking the top end off and then putting it in and then putting the top end back on. I don't know if the yx style motors even fit in between the down tubes.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcaaat View Post
    I think this is a good build but it's going to have a small challenge aesthetically. Those longer front forks may end up choppering the bike, so you might need to be able to slide them up the trees a little bit. That should be pretty easy to accomplish. In the back, while the ST90 swinger fits, it may end up being a bit short. If you are planning on building a street bike here, you should consider strongly increasing the wheelbase as you may find you are a bit squirrely at speed on the stock wheelbase. Maybe something with 3-4 more inches like a CB100 swinger...that may fit in there.

Otherwise, this is a great platform to build something. Have you thought about a powersource for it? Why not a grom...would be a real easy engine to put in here since you can weld up some new mounting tabs and do a cradle mount as well. I do know that the larger chinese midblocks do not fit in here without first taking the top end off and then putting it in and then putting the top end back on. I don't know if the yx style motors even fit in between the down tubes.
    Aesthetically... looks better in person. May look a tad tall in the front but the frame is sitting level, is a perfect height for me and a correct headlight placement will lower the look....and its an xl so it probably should have a slight Motard look to it anyway... As with the swingarm...its longer than the stock now by an inch and if i put too long of a swingarm on it the wheel arch and fender arch won't match. It may start to look....racer boy...in my eyes.

The wheelbase will be fine for me. i have a z50 with a 140. The steering is sensitive (in a good way) at slow speeds but is stable at 60 and has a MUCH shorter wheelbase.

Grom engine...woud be nice but...the cost and as much as i like to fabricate....sometimes bolt in is a nice change.

I have a fix for the tight engine placement. I had a 1300 suzuki vulcan and the frame had a removable tube to aid in engine removal so... got to get to machining.

I'm pretty sure a YX style will fit. That is a good question though. Anybody have a cylinder width measurement? ....The stock cylinder is about 5 1/8 wide and the width between the frame down tubes is just under 6 inches.

This user has no status.

Don't have much to post today. Got a nice delivery in the mail today.....front rotor and some rear wheel axle spacers. Other than putting a headlight in approximate position the work I've done lately would never show in a pic. The front Grom tripleclamp has the xl bearing shaft now. Ball bearings are in now for the fit. I need to put in lock stops yet on the bottom clamp. Ill take the cush drive off and machine it for the correct sprocket alignment soon now that i have the cush drive spacer I've been waiting for. I may have to put in a different rear tire since the chain will most likely rub and i don't want to fudge the engine over so.... thats fine. Ill need to put an engine back in to try and find a spot to put the rear master cylinder and figure out how i want the brake pedal mounted. I want to use the stock pedal if i can to keep the look right. All problems have solutions....some solutions actually work. After all that Ill mount the exhaust. Found a really well built one on Ebay that i put on my ct70. Its all stainless steel, well made (for the price), sounds great and very inexpensive....and hey...we aint made of money.

This user has no status.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170121_171111.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	713.7 KB 
ID:	199962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170121_171209.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	668.8 KB 
ID:	199978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170121_171145.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	687.7 KB 
ID:	199970

Update pics. Threw a motor in it and the exhaust on. Now i can mount the rear master and figure out how to mount the pedal. Its so light. My Grom feels like a GoldWing in comparison. ....the only other weight added from this point will be rather minor. Maybe 5 more pounds? if i don't absolutely need it....i don't want it.
    geezer, minishifter and swheels like this.

is Ride this

I love this build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride on the edge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links